Will 1866 memory work at 1866 or 1600?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astralv

Distinguished
If it says that processor supports 1600, and 1866 OC, and I buy 1866, will it work and show at 1866 without tweaking or will it still work at 1600 until I increase some voltage/ do something to it? I am wondering if it worth to buy anything above 1600. Thanks.

yeah... if the mb will only support 1866 (OC) its possible it won't detect the ram's settings at all. And you'll have to manually set the ram up to run at its native settings.

thats the case with my mb... it should work... just don't expect it to be plug and play. you'll have to do a little work to get it to work right.

Astralv

Distinguished
Thank you. I noted that most of upcoming motherboards still will say 1600, 1866 O.C. So with such condition- it won't be "plug and play" at 1866? What about "Mem Ok" function I heard on Asus motherboards? I am planning to get Asus Z87 Pro (see my thread under mobos with picture). It makes no sense that there all this memory with 2400, 2666 and none of it works out of the box?

Trenchcoat

Honorable
May 7, 2013

It's OverClocking..... pushing the computer beyond it's regular settings. It can wear out components faster than at stock settings the same way adding a turbo or supercharger will do to an engine. I wouldn't worry too much about faster memory. It's one of the most inefficient performance increases for money spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.