$600-750 Intel Build, looking for suggestions and checks

Brandon Schaefer

Honorable
May 22, 2013
First time building for myself, but id like to think im technologically inclined? Looking for advice if this build makes sense for my intentions, and suggestions for replacing parts. Uncertain mainly in CPU and GPU choices(i3 vs i5? is it really that different for my uses.)

Approximate Purchase Date: This month, sooner the better

Budget Range: $600-750 Before Rebates and Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming(Borderlands 2, Farcry 3, League of Legends), coding (java, mobile development, websites)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade/Downgrade: CPU, GPU, RAM, PSU, motherboard
Think i'd like to stick with blu-ray and SSD unless these don't make sense for price.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: Most likely not

SLI or Crossfire: wasn't looking to buy two, but maybe if its worth it

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Currently have only been using a laptop and it runs slow with coding environments and especially games.

Here's what I have currently have.. its sitting at the upper end of my range and I'd like to come down a bit.
ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
8 GB RAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
120GB SSD
600W PSU and Case COMBO
Blu-ray

Goodeggray

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
You can get a H77 mobo rather than the Z77 mobo because the cpu you picked cannot be OC. You can also drop the bluray drive for a dvd instead unless you need to watch blurays on your computer. I would not buy a case and psu combo because the included psu are of poor quality and there's always sales on decent cases and psu and the total cost may not be much more.

Brandon Schaefer

Honorable
May 22, 2013
So comparing processors.. i found that i3 basically out performed the FX-4100 and AMD AM3+ sockettype mobos do not have PCI 3.0x16.. could you give me maybe some detail on an AMD setup would utterly blow this out of the water for the same price? I just can't figure that out not a huge follower of AMD

Also, current AMD build is $30 cheaper but an i3 i think is better than FX-4100. Also, I have HD 7770 with AMD, but GTX 650 ti with intel

Use an FX 6300
MB with a 970 series chipset like the Asrock Extreme3 or ASUS M5A97
and you wuill game much better than an I 3 in newer game engines that can use all 6 cores . BF3 , Crysis 3 etc .
Only older games may do better using the i3

If you OC the FX 6300 you have gaming performance better than any i5

http://www.techspot.com/review/642-crysis-3-performance/page6.html
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?285161-More-Crysis-3-CPU-benchmarks
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28031659-Crysis-3-CPU-Benchmarks-Vengeance-of-Multi-Core

Use pcpartpicker.com to find the best prices

Dont use an FX 6100 instead of the FX 6300 . The 6300 will only cost $10 more

The RAM you have listed is 1.65 volts . You need RAM rated at 1.5 volts for latest intel and AMD processors

Excellent case and PSU ..

I would compromise on the SSD . It wont help game performance , but using a 500 gig conventional drive , and spending the money you save to get a more powerful graphics card would