i7-2600 vs i5-3570

farhan92

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Hi
Im getting my friend a rig mainly for gaming. Im torn between i7-2600 and i5-3570 (both non K). While the i7 has higher benchmarks but i hear HT doesnt improve gaming.
While Ivy bridge i5's 10% performance increase does improve gaming.
Im on a budget so the gpu will be a weak one (shader 5) for now but will upgrade in future so id want to squeeze every bit of gaming out of the cpu as absurd as that might sound.
Im still skeptical that the i5 is better in gaming than the i7 even with a lower turbo, L3 cache, benchmarks & Integrated Graphics frquency for all its worth...
What do you suggest?

Solution

Fair enough then. You're right, in terms of which CPU you buy, the GPU doesn't matter at this point.

IMO, the 2600 is...

fudoka711

Distinguished
Did you mean the i5-3570? That's the one that doesn't have HT.

In any case, getting the i5-3570 will be better for gaming than the i7-2600. The HT does pretty much nothing for gaming. Also, ivy bridge performs better in general.

Edit: Is there a reason you or your friend doesn't want the "k" version? It's only $10 more. You could overclock 5-10% (over the highest turbo-boost) easy w/out buying an aftermarket cooler/heatsink.

farhan92

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Sorry i meant the i5-3570 (edited it now). Yes he doest want to spend much on a good z series mobo and cooler plus there might be an availability issue for the K cpus in my region. I'll need to check

fudoka711

Distinguished

I'm inclined to agree with this. When does your friend want his rig done by? Intel's new haswell cpu's are due out really soon (in June). They'll have even better integrated graphics than before (theoretically beat entry level discrete cards). The i5-4570 would be perfect.

farhan92

Honorable
May 22, 2013
yes haswells an option but it wont be a big leap ahead of IB (esp not for desktops) from what ive been reading in the initial reviews on the web.
so whats it going to be forum i7-2600 or i5-3570 or a haswell i5 ?

btw i still dont get why an i5-3570 is better in gaming than an i7-2600 even with a lower turbo, L3 cache, benchmarks & Integrated Graphics frequency for all its worth...

Honestly I think you might want to take this over to the PC builder section. I've never heard someone that knows a fair bit about graphics cards say "shader 5" to denote a type of GPU. That is literally meaningless, so I worry you're not really qualified to build a PC, or at least to get the best bang for the buck for your friend's budget.

farhan92

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Terribly sorry but i didnt think it was necessary to describe the gpu, as my main focus was on the cpu.
What i meant by shader model 5 is that it will be a newer gpu albeit a low end one for now, to give a vague idea what the rig is going to be like.
i stand corrected

Fair enough then. You're right, in terms of which CPU you buy, the GPU doesn't matter at this point.

IMO, the 2600 is still a good CPU but I think if you're buying new I'd go with the 3570. And it's worth getting the K model, the price difference is usually only maybe $20, and you can unleash a lot more performance.

Solution

farhan92

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Unfortunately in my region the retailers charge a premium for any cpu that has a "k" at the end. Considering this the i7 (although not new) is a steal, plus it wont be that much worse than a 3570(non k)