7870 Showing as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and BSODing when I try to update drivers

bobofgold

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I picked up an i5 Dell Vostro 430 mini tower recently from work and have decided to upgrade it. I bought an XFX 7870 DD Tahiti and purchased a new 500W Corsair PSU.

I've got everything installed correctly in the case and everything powers up and boots in to windows. In device manager the card is detected as a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". I've tried updating the driver with the latest drivers from AMD but midway through the installation of the display driver I got a BSOD with the error "page fault in nonpaged area".

The machine then wouldn't boot in to Windows. It was stuck in a loop BSODing. I decided to start again and installed Windows 8 64bit but am having the same issues. Windows detects it as a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

I've run GPU-Z and everything looks fine in there. It gives me all the correct data on the device but Windows doens't seem to want to have any of it.

I thought this might be due to some incompatibility with the Dell MoBO chipset so looked at finding updated drivers for that but after installing the Dell System Software I'm still getting the issue.

Any input on this woul dbe amazing as I'm keen to get this up and running!

G

Did you try the drivers that came with the video card.
Similar problem.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1679885/xfx-radeon-7790-detected.html

bobofgold

Honorable
May 22, 2013

It's a clean Win8 install so I doubt there's anything in the registry that would be causing this. I'll give it a go though.

I also found a program called DriverMax which detected that there was an update available for my Chipset despite Dell, Windows and Intel not detecting any updates for my system. I've updated this and then as soon as the install for this finished DriverMax picked up that there was a driver update for my display adapter of "Radeon 7800 series". This was offering me a driver with version number 12.0.xx. This had the same problem though. Got part way through installation and then BSOD.

Really at a loss here.

bobofgold

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Well I ran 6 passes of Memtest over night and I've cleaned out the registry. Still no luck. I think I'm going to contact AMD/XFX as it may be that the card is dead... :/ Still, it's strange that GPU-Z picks it all up fine.

The post above does sound like a very similar issue but there's no solution in there.