Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New gaming build $2500 budget could go a little higher maybe $3000.... HEEELLLPPP (NOOB)

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Build
  • CPUs
Last response: in Systems
Share
May 22, 2013 5:35:19 PM

Im fairly new to the game( yes I admit, Im a noob), and need some advice on this build I think its good and I like it but I rather see what the community thinks... how to make better or whatever...

Case: AZZA 9000 $159.99
CPU: Intel I7-3970k SANDY BRIDGE-E $570.00
Cooling: Thermaltake frio extreme $65.00
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth x79 $325.00
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16gb $120.00
Video card(s): 2x HIS IceQ X2 HD 7950 $330.00x2
Hard drive(1): 250gb samsung 840 series SATA-III $180.00
Hard drive(2): 2TB Western Digital caviar black SATA-III $160.00
Optical drive: lite-on 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12 DVD $75.00
Power supply: 1200w COOLER MASTER silent pro gold series $240.00
Keyboard: Have not decided maybe Corsair Vengeance K90 $130.00
mouse: Corsair Vengeance m60 (maybe) $70.00

More about : gaming build 2500 budget higher 3000 heeelllppp noob

a b à CPUs
May 22, 2013 5:52:14 PM

Extremely unbalanced... 3970K + 7950? Erm... Uhh... Yeah, no.

Though considering you're brand new, it's not a bad rig, for a completely new builder.

You could build a rig that'd max every rig very, very easily for less than 2000$, so your budget is really quite high. Is this just for gaming? Anything else? Multiple monitor? Eyefinity?

Or is it just straight 1080p, single monitor gaming?
m
0
l
May 22, 2013 6:07:50 PM

for 3k holy crow you could build two great pcs both with a 680gtx and 3570k with a 256gb SSD 8gig ram wireless 360 controller in a media center atx case with a low-profile cpu cooler... i'd just make one 1500 dollar pc and the rest of the money put back in the bank so in 5 years you can make a new PC. :D 

anything more is just wasteful. you'll hardly see the difference. yeah 3770k is nice, but the framerates for games are very close to the 3570k.

oh and i'd wait till the new haswell cpu's are released. don't buy ivy/sandy right before they're upgrading again! you'll feel like you should've waited.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 22, 2013 6:22:21 PM

SO LETS BRING MY BUDGET DOWN BECAUSE I WOOULD LOVE TO SAVE MONEY ...WHAT COULD I DO WITH $2000
m
0
l
May 22, 2013 6:23:55 PM

AND ITS JUST FOR GAMING A REGULAR MOVIE WATCHING...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2013 6:27:19 PM

whitworthless said:
AND ITS JUST FOR GAMING A REGULAR MOVIE WATCHING...


Please don't use caps locks for everything. I'll work on a build for you shortly and get it up.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 158 à CPUs
May 22, 2013 6:28:55 PM

what games do you play? Something like FSX (flight sim 10) would change the build.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 191 à CPUs
May 22, 2013 6:30:31 PM

Come down a size or two on the SSD - 128gb
1200w PSU? - Why?
$200 for mouse and keyboard?
$160 for a case?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2013 6:41:45 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Zefs
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Zefs/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Zefs/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste ($9.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($106.25 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.09 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($449.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($449.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: OCZ Z Series Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1912.21
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-22 21:40 EDT-0400)

Should max everything out for a very, very long time.

Do you plan on overclocking? If not, this build can be made much cheaper.

You will still max out everything if you take out one GTX 680, just not for as long.

I didnt include a mouse or keyboard since those are personal preference.
m
0
l
May 22, 2013 6:41:51 PM

well I was looking at the CM Storm Stryker for a case as well, and i did some digging and the i7-3770k is much better and gaming wise I play alot of FPS and MMO
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2013 6:45:03 PM

whitworthless said:
well I was looking at the CM Storm Stryker for a case as well, and i did some digging and the i7-3770k is much better and gaming wise I play alot of FPS and MMO


You may use the CM Storm Stryker if you like it better aesthetically.

The i7-3770K is not "much better" gaming wise actually. It does achieve higher FPS, but an overclocked i5-3570K will achieve better results for less money.

Most MMOs dont take much to max out. Most FPS don't take much either save for FC3 and Crysis 3.
m
0
l
May 22, 2013 6:45:05 PM

Hey Thanks elemein, I would acutally prefer a full tower, or is that overkill?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 191 à CPUs
May 22, 2013 6:47:16 PM

whitworthless said:
well I was looking at the CM Storm Stryker for a case as well, and i did some digging and the i7-3770k is much better and gaming wise I play alot of FPS and MMO


Whoever told you this....discount them.

A 50% price increase does not equal a 50% gaming performance increase.
The i5-3570k is quite up to the task of modern gaming.
m
0
l
May 22, 2013 6:47:43 PM

Oh Wow...ok... so an overclocked i5-3770k it is! and to think I was going to spend all that money.... question how do you fell about the x79 sets? to much?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2013 6:48:04 PM

whitworthless said:
Hey Thanks elemein, I would acutally prefer a full tower, or is that overkill?


The HAF has a LOT of space. It's one of the cases widely known for being a spacious mid-tower. It'll fit the components you need. You can use a full tower though if it's more aesthetically pleasing to you though. A big part of the case is look as well.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2013 6:49:26 PM

whitworthless said:
Oh Wow...ok... so an overclocked i5-3770k it is! and to think I was going to spend all that money.... question how do you fell about the x79 sets? to much?


You wont need the x79 at all. The Z77 chipset is very ample for your needs.
m
0
l
May 22, 2013 6:52:13 PM

OK cool ...thanks again...you all saved me a ton of cash.... and thanks for the info elemein
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2013 6:57:36 PM

whitworthless said:
OK cool ...thanks again...you all saved me a ton of cash.... and thanks for the info elemein


No problemo. Enjoy your new massively powerful build!
m
0
l
May 22, 2013 7:01:46 PM

oh one more thing... are those video cards good enough if I wanted to run multiple displays?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2013 7:03:05 PM

elemein said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Zefs
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Zefs/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Zefs/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste ($9.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($106.25 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.09 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($449.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($449.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: OCZ Z Series Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1912.21
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-22 21:40 EDT-0400)

Should max everything out for a very, very long time.

Do you plan on overclocking? If not, this build can be made much cheaper.

You will still max out everything if you take out one GTX 680, just not for as long.

I didnt include a mouse or keyboard since those are personal preference.


Good build, but you can get just as much for a slightly lower price:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.98 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($443.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($443.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($108.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1729.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-22 22:01 EDT-0400)

However, I would actually strongly suggest that OP not buy either. The 780 is suppose to come out tomorrow, as I recall, and with his budget he should definitely at least consider it.

Edit: Note: The motherboard comes with 8GB of 1600mhz low profile Crucial RAM.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2013 7:03:39 PM

whitworthless said:
oh one more thing... are those video cards good enough if I wanted to run multiple displays?


Brilliantly enough.

Are you planning on gaming on multiple monitors though? (gaming on them at the same time. Not gaming on one and using other monitors for other things) AMD has a better reputation of having better multi-monitor ability than Nvidia (they're both good for it though.)
m
0
l
May 22, 2013 7:07:51 PM

and if I wanted to use AMD what would you prefer?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2013 7:11:11 PM

whitworthless said:
and if I wanted to use AMD what would you prefer?


Two 7970s instead of two 680s.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2013 7:12:41 PM

elemein said:
whitworthless said:
and if I wanted to use AMD what would you prefer?


Two 7970s instead of two 680s.


Actually, given the current price difference, he might want to go dual 7970 GHz. They're only about $25-35 more at some online stores.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2013 7:19:56 PM

Jack Revenant said:
elemein said:
whitworthless said:
and if I wanted to use AMD what would you prefer?


Two 7970s instead of two 680s.


Actually, given the current price difference, he might want to go dual 7970 GHz. They're only about $25-35 more at some online stores.


I can/'t reccomend that... Yeah, that's a weird way of saying can and cannot. The reason is: Some 7970s without the GHz tag are over 1.0 GHz... So the tag is very weird.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2013 7:22:13 PM

elemein said:
Jack Revenant said:
elemein said:
whitworthless said:
and if I wanted to use AMD what would you prefer?


Two 7970s instead of two 680s.


Actually, given the current price difference, he might want to go dual 7970 GHz. They're only about $25-35 more at some online stores.


I can/'t reccomend that... Yeah, that's a weird way of saying can and cannot. The reason is: Some 7970s without the GHz tag are over 1.0 GHz... So the tag is very weird.


True, but those are factory overclocks on non-binned chips. Beyond that, one of the better options for cooling (Vapor-X) is only available on the GHz. Edition. That said, you have a point. The Gigabyte 7970 with the Windforce cooler would also be an excellent choice.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2013 7:24:18 PM

Jack Revenant said:
elemein said:
Jack Revenant said:
elemein said:
whitworthless said:
and if I wanted to use AMD what would you prefer?


Two 7970s instead of two 680s.


Actually, given the current price difference, he might want to go dual 7970 GHz. They're only about $25-35 more at some online stores.


I can/'t reccomend that... Yeah, that's a weird way of saying can and cannot. The reason is: Some 7970s without the GHz tag are over 1.0 GHz... So the tag is very weird.


True, but those are factory overclocks on non-binned chips. Beyond that, one of the better options for cooling (Vapor-X) is only available on the GHz. Edition. That said, you have a point. The Gigabyte 7970 with the Windforce cooler would also be an excellent choice.


Yeah, there are some very good GPUs of both GHz tag and none GHz tag, but also some not so good cards with both tags as well.

The best route would for the OP to just ask about certain cards.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2013 7:29:38 PM

elemein said:
Jack Revenant said:
elemein said:
Jack Revenant said:
elemein said:
whitworthless said:
and if I wanted to use AMD what would you prefer?


Two 7970s instead of two 680s.


Actually, given the current price difference, he might want to go dual 7970 GHz. They're only about $25-35 more at some online stores.


I can/'t reccomend that... Yeah, that's a weird way of saying can and cannot. The reason is: Some 7970s without the GHz tag are over 1.0 GHz... So the tag is very weird.


True, but those are factory overclocks on non-binned chips. Beyond that, one of the better options for cooling (Vapor-X) is only available on the GHz. Edition. That said, you have a point. The Gigabyte 7970 with the Windforce cooler would also be an excellent choice.


Yeah, there are some very good GPUs of both GHz tag and none GHz tag, but also some not so good cards with both tags as well.

The best route would for the OP to just ask about certain cards.


Fair enough. Though I tend to prefer simply making an up-front recommendation, myself. Thus my original suggestion of a specific 7970 GHz. (in my build).
m
0
l
!