965 BE To FX-8350 upgrade, help needed!

StringentHydra9

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Hey there guys, just got a new FX-8350 to install on my rig after around a year running a 965BE. The reason I chose to upgrade is I do a lot of video rendering and streaming on Twitch and because I love working on Computers.
However I do have a Few questions.
1. Do I need to do anything in terms of safety to make sure my motherboard is discharged so I don't get shocked other then remove the power?
2. got this MB: M5A99X EVO, and just flashed the bios to the newest version which does support the 8350, is there anything else I need to do software wise before I go ahead with the install?
3. Last go around was my first time building a pc and the part that scared me the most was installing the cpu cooler and how i had to firmly push down on it to get it secure. Is this normal??? Hope it'll go better this time with the 8350 as so many threads talk about how delicate the CPU is that putting a lot of pressure down on it via the CPU cooler install definitely scared me!
4. I am hoping I can do this install inside the case as removing the MB would be a nightmare, what do you guys think???
Here are my System specs to give you guys a clue to what I'm working with:

Seasonic 80Plus Power Supply M12II 620 BRONZE
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr OC AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
ASUS M5A99X Evo MB
Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case
Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
Plus a couple of case fans to keep things cool!
:)
Thanks for the help anyone who can give some advice!

Solution
I have the same MB and I went from a 965 to a 6100 (slight downgrade!) and then the 8350 with BIOS updates for each. You are good to go, nothing else to do however you may want to double check the RAM values in the BIOS as you have a new faster memory controller. It will probably post anyway as Asus has done a fantastic job with the memory recognition of XMP codes even on AMD platforms. Regarding your CM 212, ultra high pressure is not necessary, just get it reasonable tight. The thermal paste is there for a reason, its not a cold solder joint!

Metwinge

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
If you motherboard has a bios update that allowed you to install a Piledriver CPU then your fine, glad you did your research first.

As for the cooler, as long as you tightened the screws evenly to equal the pressure over the CPU then you did good, bet thing to do then is a temp test and see if your getting reasonable temps, google will help you with that part bud.

Have fun with the new upgrade

avjguy2362

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I have the same MB and I went from a 965 to a 6100 (slight downgrade!) and then the 8350 with BIOS updates for each. You are good to go, nothing else to do however you may want to double check the RAM values in the BIOS as you have a new faster memory controller. It will probably post anyway as Asus has done a fantastic job with the memory recognition of XMP codes even on AMD platforms. Regarding your CM 212, ultra high pressure is not necessary, just get it reasonable tight. The thermal paste is there for a reason, its not a cold solder joint!

Solution

StringentHydra9

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Yep, Asus MB are awesome and under the newest upgrade they allow Piledriver CPUs, Flashing the Bios was a little scary but I've confirmed that I'm running the newest bios so I should be good there....
Temps running around 35C on light tasks, maybe 40 to 45 under game stress depending on the game, 55 under Prime95 max.

StringentHydra9

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Fantastic dude, no but really I was in a cold sweat regarding that dang CPU cooler, I thought you had to put no pressure down on it and I was like so how do you screw it in then????
Anyway how do you think the 8350 is working for you if I might ask and do you think I'll be able to run my ram at 1866 now? Running currently at a little over 1400Mhz but don't know all I should on how to OC memory.

StringentHydra9

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Will I get any performance gains at 1866???