Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Building a custom pc

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 23, 2013 4:58:02 AM

Hey, I'm building a new BUDGET pc which I want to use for next 4/5 years.

Intel Core i5 3470 and Gigabyte GA b75 d3h MOBO is my choice. I'll go for 4 GB RAM and 500 GB HDD and I can't afford a graphics card right now


Now as a newbie I have some questions and hopefully I'll get some help here :) 

(i) which will work better 1* 4 gb stick ram or 2*2 gb stick ram? I'd like to go for 1 stick 4 gb ram which will cost me less money


(ii) i can't afford a Graphics card but I'll play games in it (old games that don't require more than 128 MB video memory) and as far as I know that the mobo has 1 GB built in graphics (i know that it doesn't work as well as an external graphics card but shouldn't it be enough for now?). So will it be bad for my pc if I buy a Graphics card after 7 or 8 months? I mean will it hamper the performance of the computer or rather damage it?


(iii) any suggestions for the PSU will be helpful


More about : building custom

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2013 5:20:21 AM

Imz47 said:
Hey, I'm building a new BUDGET pc which I want to use for next 4/5 years.

Intel Core i5 3470 and Gigabyte GA b75 d3h MOBO is my choice. I'll go for 4 GB RAM and 500 GB HDD and I can't afford a graphics card right now


Now as a newbie I have some questions and hopefully I'll get some help here :) 

(i) which will work better 1* 4 gb stick ram or 2*2 gb stick ram? I'd like to go for 1 stick 4 gb ram which will cost me less money


(ii) i can't afford a Graphics card but I'll play games in it (old games that don't require more than 128 MB video memory) and as far as I know that the mobo has 1 GB built in graphics (i know that it doesn't work as well as an external graphics card but shouldn't it be enough for now?). So will it be bad for my pc if I buy a Graphics card after 7 or 8 months? I mean will it hamper the performance of the computer or rather damage it?


(iii) any suggestions for the PSU will be helpful




What's your total budget? It's possible that you can squeeze in a reasonable graphics card by lowering things in other areas.

To answer your questions: 1, 2x2 is better if you don't plan to upgrade, 1x4 is better if you plan to get another 4 GB stick. 2, I really wouldn't advocate gaming on integrated (even really low-tier dedicated cards outpace Intel HD graphics), but it won't cause any harm to your system to add a GPU later. 3, Antec, Corsair, SeaSonic, and XFX are brands you want to use. They all have good quality PSUs which are not likely to cause your PC to explode in flames, something which some other brands cannot say.
m
0
l
May 23, 2013 5:38:32 AM

My budget is in between 400-500$ (converted from the currency of my country)

yes, i'd like to upgrade to 8 gb ram later but right now i'll be content with 4 gb

would it cause harm to the pc if I keep playing games without a graphics card?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2013 5:45:43 AM

Imz47 said:
My budget is in between 400-500$ (converted from the currency of my country)

yes, i'd like to upgrade to 8 gb ram later but right now i'll be content with 4 gb

would it cause harm to the pc if I keep playing games without a graphics card?


What country are you buying in? 500USD worth of Euros in Germany buys a lot more than 500USD worth of Rands in South Africa.

In that case, start with the single 4 GB stick.

It won't harm it, but you could get more performance. You might consider an APU, actually, much as I hate to recommend it. While they're not ideal, they're a heck of a lot better than Intel graphics.

Edit: I may take a while to respond to your response. My apologies, it is rather late in my country, and I am going to bed. Have no fear, however. I'll make sure that things are worked out in the morning (well, my morning. For you, it will likely be night).
m
0
l
May 23, 2013 7:02:21 AM

I'm buying it in Bangladesh, my homeland. My budget will be +-40000 in bangladeshi Tk

Actually I don't have any idea what's an APU. Would you please tell me about it?


Hey, no need to apologize and thanks for your response :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2013 2:53:26 PM

Imz47 said:
I'm buying it in Bangladesh, my homeland. My budget will be +-40000 in bangladeshi Tk

Actually I don't have any idea what's an APU. Would you please tell me about it?


Hey, no need to apologize and thanks for your response :) 


I must admit, I don't know parts prices or online stores for Bangladesh. Willing to research, however.

An APU is a combination CPU and GPU. Think of them as the middle-ground between integrated graphics and a dedicated graphics card. They actually have a pretty reasonable ratio of price to power, though they're not going to beat a decent graphics card any time soon.

Edit: Having checked TH's list on worldwide online stores, I found none in Bangladesh. Could you suggest some?
m
0
l
May 23, 2013 8:33:56 PM

You didn't find any online stores because probably there isn't any. But you can have some idea about the prices of pc parts on this website www.ryanscomputer.com

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2013 8:46:34 PM

Imz47 said:
You didn't find any online stores because probably there isn't any. But you can have some idea about the prices of pc parts on this website www.ryanscomputer.com



Unfortunately, they don't seem to have processors, motherboards, or graphics cards on there.

You might see what the price of an AMD A10-5800k and an FM2 socket motherboard would be. While it's not an ideal solution, the integrated 7660D is a heck of a lot better than Intel integrated graphics.

Edit: That said, the 3470 is a much better processor, if you're willing to suffer through 8 months on Intel graphics.
m
0
l
May 23, 2013 10:37:11 PM

Yes, I need to build a full computer. And I might be able to up the budget to 45K
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2013 11:09:28 PM

Imz47 said:
Yes, I need to build a full computer. And I might be able to up the budget to 45K


Is that including monitor, peripherals, and OS?
m
0
l
May 23, 2013 11:54:08 PM

Not the OS
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2013 12:15:56 AM

Imz47 said:
Not the OS


I must admit, for that amount, with monitor, you're probably better of sticking with what you have there. Maybe up the RAM to 8GB if you can. The fact the you can get an i5 on a $500 with monitor and peripherals build in and of itself is highly impressive. If you can deal with integrated graphics, it should work well. As a final alternative, you might consider waiting for Haswell, if it won't be too much more expensive in Bangladesh. It's supposed to have significantly better integrated graphics.
m
0
l
May 24, 2013 12:48:11 AM

Sorry but i didn't quite understand what you said in your last post.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2013 1:14:47 AM

Imz47 said:
Sorry but i didn't quite understand what you said in your last post.



Given your budget and the parts you need, the build in the original post is quite good. If you can handle gaming on the CPU's integrated graphics, it should work as well as anything I could offer, particularly since you will be purchasing a graphics card later.

However, the new Intel processors (Haswell) are coming out soon (June 3rd, in the USA), and they will have better integrated graphics. You may wish to wait for them, if you don't think that the release prices will be very excessive in Bangladesh (for what it's worth, they will not be excessively high in the USA).
m
0
l
May 24, 2013 1:31:13 AM

I get it now. Don't get annoyed plz, I got two last questions for you.


1. I've an old monitor (17" philips 107C6 bought in 2005). If i drop buying a new monitor and get a graphics card instead, will it work swiftly with the old monitor? My old monitor isn't that great but it isn't total crap either and i know it won't work at higher resolution ala an LED monitor. Will the old monitor do any damage the computer if i buy the graphics card instead of an LED monitor and run it with my computer?


2. What should be the Wattage of my PSU? 400W, 450W, 500W, 550W?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2013 1:36:47 AM

Imz47 said:
I get it now. Don't get annoyed plz, I got two last questions for you.


1. I've an old monitor (17" philips 107C6 bought in 2005). If i drop buying a new monitor and get a graphics card instead, will it work swiftly with the old monitor? My old monitor isn't that great but it isn't total crap either and i know it won't work at higher resolution ala an LED monitor. Will the old monitor do any damage the computer if i buy the graphics card instead of an LED monitor and run it with my computer?


2. What should be the Wattage of my PSU? 400W, 450W, 500W, 550W?


Don't worry. I've had folks fill up two pages of posts asking me questions. Don't stop asking me things until you feel that all your questions have been fully answered.

You monitor will not do any damage to your GPU. In fact, I'm not even sure that it's possible for that to happen. The only problem with using an old monitor is just that: it's an old monitor with a (usually) bad display.

Wattage isn't a big issue, with so little draw. 350-450 should be fine, but make sure to get a good brand. Antec, Corsair, SeaSonic, XFX, PC Power & Cooling... that sort of thing. A bad PSU can destroy an entire system.

Edit: Having done a little checking on the monitor thing, I only found one forum post where a fellow claimed that CRT monitors generate static, and that it had damaged his GPU. Nobody agreed with him, however, and I have seen no other evidence supporting that possibility.
m
0
l
May 24, 2013 2:45:43 AM

So I'm not going to buy a monitor. Here's my entire CPU box ( if anything's missing/ bad choice, please correct me) :


1. Processor : Intel Core i5 3470

2. Motherboard : Gigabyte GA B75M D3H

3. PSU : Corsair 450VS

4. HDD : 500 GB 7200 rpm (transcend, western digital or hitachi?? If none of the 3 then what??)

5. RAM : 4GB 1600 bus (twinmos or transcend??)

6. OPTICAL DRIVE : Samsung SH-S223 dvd writer

7. Graphics card : give an idea

have i missed anything?


** a friend of mine said that old monitor may cause damage to the computer or hamper the performance of the computer. What do you think about it?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2013 3:05:59 AM

Imz47 said:
So I'm not going to buy a monitor. Here's my entire CPU box ( if anything's missing/ bad choice, please correct me) :


1. Processor : Intel Core i5 3470

2. Motherboard : Gigabyte GA B75M D3H

3. PSU : Corsair 450VS

4. HDD : 500 GB 7200 rpm (transcend, western digital or hitachi?? If none of the 3 then what??)

5. RAM : 4GB 1600 bus (twinmos or transcend??)

6. OPTICAL DRIVE : Samsung SH-S223 dvd writer

7. Graphics card : give an idea

have i missed anything?


** a friend of mine said that old monitor may cause damage to the computer or hamper the performance of the computer. What do you think about it?


1: Looks good.
2: Would prefer H77, but still okay choice given the budget.
3: XFX or SeaSonic are better, if you can get them. If not, looks good.
4: Western Digital every time. Try to get Caviar Blue/Black, if possible.
5: Never heard of either. Is Corsair, G.Skill, or Crucial RAM an option?
6: Looks fine. You can pretty much just go with the absolute cheapest option, when it comes to optical drives.
7: The Radeon HD 7750 or HD 7770 would be good options. If you can find one within budget, a 7790, 7850, or GTX 650 Ti would be excellent.

Edit: I don't really know how your friend figures that could work. The only connection the monitor has to the system is the DVI/HDMI/etc cable. It's possible, theoretically, that it could damage the graphics card if it sent a jolt of electricity down said cable, but I don't find that likely. That said, I am not a monitors expert, and there is a monitors subforum on this very site. You may wish to double-check with them.
m
0
l
May 24, 2013 3:30:30 AM

Thank you very much for your great help and patience. I'm likely to go with your suggestions as much as its possible. And thanks again. It was a great help :) 

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2013 3:36:33 AM

Imz47 said:
Thank you very much for your great help and patience. I'm likely to go with your suggestions as much as its possible. And thanks again. It was a great help :) 



My pleasure. I'm always happy to help folks, when I'm able. :) 
I am serious about taking the monitor thing to the monitor subforum, however. I came into computers after the demise of CRT monitors, so it's quite possible that there's something I don't know about them.
m
0
l
!