Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

In need of an Upgrade from HD6850 TO GTX 670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 23, 2013 1:14:16 PM

Hey Guys,

I would like to upgrade my hd 6850, to a gtx 670 but I am really unsure as to which type of card is the best to get. I have checked other forums but to no avail. I would really appreciate if someone could share some light on this issue. Also, money is not an issue here as I have been saving up but also, I am still questioning whether the card would be ok in my current set up as seen below.

I have been looking at some 670's for example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-GeForce-GTX-670-DirectCU.... Correct me if I am wrong but is this the same card as this, http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...

Or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/evga-gtx-670-ftw-New-sealed-g.... I just want the best card for a 670. Im becoming familar with overclocking but that would be a plus for the future. I have been told the first link I have given is the best type of 670 I can get but there are other types but Im not sure on this part. Also would my current setup be ok for the card or would I need to for example upgrade the PSU? Heating be a problem etc, any factors to be taken into account? Btw Im from UK.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache CPU

- Coolermaster silent 80plus Certified Efficiency PSU 400w

- 8GB Dual Channel G-Skill RIPJAW DDR3 1600MHz

- AMD ATi Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card

- Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 880G CrossfireX Motheboard

-Coolermaster Elite 430 All Black Interior Mid Tower Case with Side Window

Thanks Guys

More about : upgrade hd6850 gtx 670

a c 105 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 23, 2013 1:28:08 PM

get a 2gig 7870. your processor couldn't push a bigger card...... and your power supply won't run it either.
m
0
l
a c 199 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 23, 2013 1:39:43 PM

^+1. That may be one of the few CM PSUs that doesn't fail competent technical reviews, but it's still too small. I'd look for something in the 500W-550W range, preferably built by Seasonic, FSP, Enermax/LEPA, or Super Flower.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 624 U Graphics card
a c 416 Î Nvidia
May 23, 2013 1:44:46 PM

You've already picked it yourself... that Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP card is most definitely the best GTX 670 you can get. It's still the only card to score a perfect '10' on TechPowerUp. You will need to upgrade your PSU though.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...
m
0
l
May 23, 2013 1:57:27 PM

Onus said:
^+1. That may be one of the few CM PSUs that doesn't fail competent technical reviews, but it's still too small. I'd look for something in the 500W-550W range, preferably built by Seasonic, FSP, Enermax/LEPA, or Super Flower.


Thanks for the reply. Yea I was told the PSU is not really reliable, alot of people have had problems with them Im thinking of upgrading that to this Corsair, what do you think?, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... Wouldnt mind one from Seasonic, can you provide some links please? Appreciated
;) 
m
0
l
May 23, 2013 2:00:20 PM

17seconds said:
You've already picked it yourself... that Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP card is most definitely the best GTX 670 you can get. It's still the only card to score a perfect '10' on TechPowerUp. You will need to upgrade your PSU though.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...


Thanks for the reply. Yea Im rallying towards this one and will need a new PSU but if I do this would my system run smooth without no problems? Its only because I no this card is a beast but Obviously my specs arnt as special. Im looking for a huge GPU upgrade then in time will proceed towards the cpu and board.
m
0
l
a c 624 U Graphics card
a c 416 Î Nvidia
May 23, 2013 3:43:02 PM

n7ad-sli said:
Onus said:
For a single GTX670, this $70 XFX will do: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but it is not modular. If you prefer modular PSUs, then this $80 Seasonic would be my choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thanks. I prefer modular to be honest, dont want unnecessary cluter. Also would there be any other problems if I were to buy the GTX 670 one that I listed or is there any other alternative?

If you are eventually going to upgrade other components, that card is pretty sweet in the price range. The only question is if you want to wait until the GTX 770 and GTX 760 Ti are released to see if prices change.
m
0
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 23, 2013 3:47:46 PM

the 770 is out.
m
0
l
a c 624 U Graphics card
a c 416 Î Nvidia
May 23, 2013 4:10:25 PM

swifty_morgan said:
the 770 is out.

Not so fast there, Swifty. The GTX 770 is due out a week from today. Do you have other news?
m
0
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 23, 2013 5:06:07 PM

lol.......woops. dammit!........... lol. guess I picked the up from matts above.
m
0
l
May 24, 2013 2:00:44 AM

17seconds said:
n7ad-sli said:
Onus said:
For a single GTX670, this $70 XFX will do: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but it is not modular. If you prefer modular PSUs, then this $80 Seasonic would be my choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thanks. I prefer modular to be honest, dont want unnecessary cluter. Also would there be any other problems if I were to buy the GTX 670 one that I listed or is there any other alternative?

If you are eventually going to upgrade other components, that card is pretty sweet in the price range. The only question is if you want to wait until the GTX 770 and GTX 760 Ti are released to see if prices change.




Thanks for the all the replies. Wow, Gtx 770... lol I didnt even think that far but I might just wait for a week or so just to see the prices matto17secs. Yes Im thinking about upgrading other components later on but I really want to upgrade the GPU and PSU. , but howmuch do you think the price would go down if I were to wait? Im thinking of getting the gtx 670 ftw version instead of asus

Quick Q.. Would this still be big upgrade considering the fact that my cpu is not all that good? Going to be playing on a 1680*1050

m
0
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 24, 2013 7:34:18 AM

get a 2gig 7870.
m
0
l
a c 199 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 24, 2013 8:20:38 AM

For 1680x1050, get a GTX650Ti Boost Edition and call it a day, or maybe a HD7850. One GB of VRAM should be sufficient for that resolution.
m
0
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 24, 2013 8:40:19 AM

1gig isn't enough. I've been down the 1680x1050 road.
m
0
l
a c 624 U Graphics card
a c 416 Î Nvidia
May 24, 2013 9:26:02 AM

n7ad-sli said:
17seconds said:
n7ad-sli said:
Onus said:
For a single GTX670, this $70 XFX will do: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but it is not modular. If you prefer modular PSUs, then this $80 Seasonic would be my choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thanks. I prefer modular to be honest, dont want unnecessary cluter. Also would there be any other problems if I were to buy the GTX 670 one that I listed or is there any other alternative?

If you are eventually going to upgrade other components, that card is pretty sweet in the price range. The only question is if you want to wait until the GTX 770 and GTX 760 Ti are released to see if prices change.




Thanks for the all the replies. Wow, Gtx 770... lol I didnt even think that far but I might just wait for a week or so just to see the prices matto17secs. Yes Im thinking about upgrading other components later on but I really want to upgrade the GPU and PSU. , but howmuch do you think the price would go down if I were to wait? Im thinking of getting the gtx 670 ftw version instead of asus

Quick Q.. Would this still be big upgrade considering the fact that my cpu is not all that good? Going to be playing on a 1680*1050



I don't think we'll see price drops until the GTX 760 Ti hits in early June, which is apparently a week or two away.
m
0
l
May 24, 2013 11:36:41 AM

Onus said:
For 1680x1050, get a GTX650Ti Boost Edition and call it a day, or maybe a HD7850. One GB of VRAM should be sufficient for that resolution.


I was checking other cards such as the one you mentioned but I am going to upgrade other components soon thats why I was thinking of getting a gtx 670 ftw now so I wouldnt think what if with the other cards
m
0
l
May 24, 2013 11:37:34 AM

swifty_morgan said:
1gig isn't enough. I've been down the 1680x1050 road.


Yea thats what I was thinking, my current one is 1gb
m
0
l
May 24, 2013 11:40:41 AM

Onus said:
For 1680x1050, get a GTX650Ti Boost Edition and call it a day, or maybe a HD7850. One GB of VRAM should be sufficient for that resolution.


I dont think these cards will be enough to max the up coming games like watch dogs and so on unless you think it will but im still open to other options so thank you for your reply
m
0
l
a c 199 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 24, 2013 3:09:21 PM

If XFX or other Seasonic-built PSUs are available to you, I would choose one of those. The Corsair CX units were built by CWT using some inferior Samxon capacitors known for early failure. They don't suck, but there are better choices.
m
0
l
May 25, 2013 3:46:59 AM

Onus said:
If XFX or other Seasonic-built PSUs are available to you, I would choose one of those. The Corsair CX units were built by CWT using some inferior Samxon capacitors known for early failure. They don't suck, but there are better choices.


Thanks for the reply. I would have gone for Seasonic, but problem is iv tried searching on Ebay Uk to find them but to no avail. I no they are the best you can get and I dont want my whole system to fail because of a shyt PSU. Can you provide a link for a seasonic psu captable with the gtx 670 and my system for UK? Sorry for being a bother but thanks I appreciate your efforts
m
0
l
May 25, 2013 4:04:48 AM

Onus said:
If XFX or other Seasonic-built PSUs are available to you, I would choose one of those. The Corsair CX units were built by CWT using some inferior Samxon capacitors known for early failure. They don't suck, but there are better choices.


Also I had a look at the Seasonic link that you provided, alot of people have had problems with that PSU seen in the reviews, but XFX seems to be good
m
0
l
May 25, 2013 4:10:04 AM

Buy a 600-700w power supply and instead of 670 buy 2 650 ti boost.More memory and better performance at games.Its cheaper too.2x Msi twin frozr gtx 650 ti boost / ASUS gtx 650 ti boost directCU II
m
0
l
May 25, 2013 4:19:43 AM

Dhampire01 said:
Buy a 600-700w power supply and instead of 670 buy 2 650 ti boost.More memory and better performance at games.Its cheaper too.2x Msi twin frozr gtx 650 ti boost / ASUS gtx 650 ti boost directCU II


Thanks for the reply I will look into that but do you think Id be able to max upcoming games like watch Dogs and also I am having difficulty (Worried) as to which PSU i should get and If it will fit in my case. As I cant afford to blow up my system if anything goes wrong lool
m
0
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 25, 2013 8:38:41 AM

stay away from the 650 cards. you don't realize how important memory bandwidth is until you run out of it ( 192bit ).

m
0
l
May 25, 2013 10:08:32 AM

swifty_morgan said:
stay away from the 650 cards. you don't realize how important memory bandwidth is until you run out of it ( 192bit ).



Will do Im just going to stick with the Gtx 670 ftw as originally planned but still struggling with the PSU any idea's ANYONE???

thanks
m
0
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 25, 2013 10:23:04 AM

what's wrong with the one you posted?
m
0
l
a c 199 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 25, 2013 10:36:25 AM

That XFX you linked would be a nice choice. You could get a smaller one (650W), but still it's nice.
m
0
l
May 25, 2013 11:07:21 AM

I was just thinking if it would fit in the case, and be compatible with my specs and for the GTX 670 ftw when do I get it. I forgot to mention that Im also going to get a Hyper 212 EVO as well. I just have a stock a cooler for the AMD. So my question is will the PSU that I have linked be more than enough for my upgrades and current specs? Would this PSU leave room for more upgrades in the future e.g SLI or overclocking

Thanks
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 199 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 25, 2013 11:19:45 AM

A 750W PSU is plenty for SLI of a pair of 670GTX, plus overclocking.
Share
May 25, 2013 11:20:26 AM

Also in regards to the PSU that I linked it only has 2 pci-express connectors 6 pins, the gtx 670 requires this, but if this is so then does that mean I wont be able to SLI?
m
0
l
May 26, 2013 8:01:28 AM

Nevermind. Thanks for the replys. I just need to check if the psu will fit in my case
m
0
l
!