Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

NVIDIA GTX 780 vs. NVIDIA GTX 680 For the Money?

Last response: in Components
Share
May 23, 2013 1:15:31 PM

Hello,
So I am waiting for the next generation components to come out, such as MB, GPU, and CPU. Today, I found out that the 700 series NVIDIA cards were out, which I was a waiting for. Since there was no confirmed price at the time prior to release, I wanted to wait and see what it was compared to the 680 I had picked out. When it came out, I didn't know that it was going to cost around $650.

Here is my question: Is it worth the money to choose the 780 over the 680? The 680 I was going to get was the NVIDIA EVGA 680 4GB. Now, this card is only 3GB, but is stronger.

What should I get? the 680 4GB, or the 780 3GB? Is it worth the cost difference?

Here is what I have picked out so far. Waiting on Haswell CPU's, MB's and a CPU Cooler that will fit the socket. So they are not listed, but I would get something equivalent to the i7 3770k.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 - 1600 Memory ($114.22 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.61 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.99 @ Newegg)

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply ($169.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Monitor: ASUS VN247H-P 24-Inch LED-Lit Monitor ($189.00 @Amazon)

Optical Drive: AsusDRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.96 @ OutletPC)

Thermal Compound: ARCTIC MX-4 (4g) Carbon-Based Thermal Compound, Non-Electricity Conductive, Non-Capacitive ($9.99 @ Newegg)

Wireless Adapter: ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express 300/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate 64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP, WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WPS support ($26.99 @ Newegg)

Case Fans: Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition 63.5 CFM 120mm ($14.99 @ Amazon)

Case Fans: Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition (2-Pack) 63.5 CFM 120mm ($26.98 @ OutletPC)

Any questions, please let me know and I will answer them ASAP. Otherwise, thanks for any help! :) 

May 23, 2013 1:34:26 PM

I'd do neither and get a 670, 7970 (non-GHz), or wait just a little longer on the 770 to see where they fit it price-wise. The 680 is just a poor value and you went with a 1080p monitor.
m
0
l
May 23, 2013 1:39:10 PM

As for the GPU, if your finances make it a non-issue, I would probably get the new card. Just remember that GPU's are the most devalued over time. Meaning a $300 card 3 years from now will likely not only be as fast, but may very well have new Direct X features that current cards won't have. A 3770, although somewhat expensive, will still be reasonably powerful and less likely to become technologically obsolete. It really comes down to your ease of affordability and you understanding that you may want to spend another $600+ in 2 to 3 years to stay on top of the graphics world in gaming.
I own a 128GB 830, if I were buying one today, I would get a 840 pro or even a 840. The 830 is solid, but its a tad slow in writing for an OS. There are reviews that explained of a strange latency problem with the 830 and I noticed when I upgraded from a OCZ vertex 2 that it didn't seem any faster. My Kingston Hyper X 3K is much faster, but Sandforce still has issues over time, and is why I would go with the new Samsungs, if I were buying now! By the way, NewEgg has Corsair PS's on sale, you could get the top of the line AX860 for less, $170 +20.rebate!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
m
0
l
Related resources
May 23, 2013 2:12:15 PM

If you're running on a single monitor there is no need for 4 GB of memory. I'm sure someone may say, "well I run Skyrim with 45 mods and I eat up a 3 GB card no problem". Generally speaking you only need large amounts of vRAM if you're running a multiple monitor setup. I don't believe with a single 1080p monitor you'll run into any issues with "only" 3 GB of vRAM.

Everything I've read says the GTX 780 is a great looking card. I think I'd give things some time and see how the vendors customize the card. What everyone is putting out right now are fairly vanilla versions of it. I also prefer to wait for drivers to settle a bit and any bugs to work themselves out. Another thing to keep in mind; AMD may have some sort of response to this which could drive the price down on the GTX 780. Lastly, AMD still has the GTX 770 to announce which is a tweaked (upclocked) version of the GTX 680. Things are about to change. I would recommend waiting a week or two and see what happens before buying any Nvidia/AMD high end GPUs.
m
0
l
May 23, 2013 2:23:31 PM

You have thermal paste listed but no after market cooler. I recommend the 7970.
m
0
l
May 23, 2013 3:10:08 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
I'd do neither and get a 670, 7970 (non-GHz), or wait just a little longer on the 770 to see where they fit it price-wise. The 680 is just a poor value and you went with a 1080p monitor.


burdenbound said:
You have thermal paste listed but no after market cooler. I recommend the 7970.


I am waiting for the new Haswell CPU's to come out, so there will be a new socket. Then the mounting it may be different depending on how MB's go. I was going to get Cooler Master 212 EVO.

I want NVIDIA. I researched AMD, and I went with NVIDIA.
m
0
l
May 23, 2013 3:16:28 PM

Kindredsouls said:
If you're running on a single monitor there is no need for 4 GB of memory. I'm sure someone may say, "well I run Skyrim with 45 mods and I eat up a 3 GB card no problem". Generally speaking you only need large amounts of vRAM if you're running a multiple monitor setup. I don't believe with a single 1080p monitor you'll run into any issues with "only" 3 GB of vRAM.

Everything I've read says the GTX 780 is a great looking card. I think I'd give things some time and see how the vendors customize the card. What everyone is putting out right now are fairly vanilla versions of it. I also prefer to wait for drivers to settle a bit and any bugs to work themselves out. Another thing to keep in mind; AMD may have some sort of response to this which could drive the price down on the GTX 780. Lastly, AMD still has the GTX 770 to announce which is a tweaked (upclocked) version of the GTX 680. Things are about to change. I would recommend waiting a week or two and see what happens before buying any Nvidia/AMD high end GPUs.


I actually was planning on upgrading to triple monitors over time, thats why I went with 4GB. I was also going to get dual 4GB 680's but then I heard of the 700 series.

Thats what I saw too, love the design and the price difference from the Titan. Then it just seems pricey compared to 680. Good idea. I'm not building until June so I'm definitely waiting. Do you think that it might be possible to OC a 770, and get the performance from a standard 780?
m
0
l
May 23, 2013 5:53:24 PM

avjguy2362 said:
As for the GPU, if your finances make it a non-issue, I would probably get the new card. Just remember that GPU's are the most devalued over time. Meaning a $300 card 3 years from now will likely not only be as fast, but may very well have new Direct X features that current cards won't have. A 3770, although somewhat expensive, will still be reasonably powerful and less likely to become technologically obsolete. It really comes down to your ease of affordability and you understanding that you may want to spend another $600+ in 2 to 3 years to stay on top of the graphics world in gaming.
I own a 128GB 830, if I were buying one today, I would get a 840 pro or even a 840. The 830 is solid, but its a tad slow in writing for an OS. There are reviews that explained of a strange latency problem with the 830 and I noticed when I upgraded from a OCZ vertex 2 that it didn't seem any faster. My Kingston Hyper X 3K is much faster, but Sandforce still has issues over time, and is why I would go with the new Samsungs, if I were buying now! By the way, NewEgg has Corsair PS's on sale, you could get the top of the line AX860 for less, $170 +20.rebate!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...


That makes sense. I mean, I will definitely be upgrading my build as time goes on. As for now, I'm just trying to keep myself at a good spot to game on, until next next gen components come out.

Does the 840 Pro make a substantial difference in speed?
m
0
l
May 24, 2013 6:04:15 AM

SIRmisterD said:
Kindredsouls said:
If you're running on a single monitor there is no need for 4 GB of memory. I'm sure someone may say, "well I run Skyrim with 45 mods and I eat up a 3 GB card no problem". Generally speaking you only need large amounts of vRAM if you're running a multiple monitor setup. I don't believe with a single 1080p monitor you'll run into any issues with "only" 3 GB of vRAM.

Everything I've read says the GTX 780 is a great looking card. I think I'd give things some time and see how the vendors customize the card. What everyone is putting out right now are fairly vanilla versions of it. I also prefer to wait for drivers to settle a bit and any bugs to work themselves out. Another thing to keep in mind; AMD may have some sort of response to this which could drive the price down on the GTX 780. Lastly, AMD still has the GTX 770 to announce which is a tweaked (upclocked) version of the GTX 680. Things are about to change. I would recommend waiting a week or two and see what happens before buying any Nvidia/AMD high end GPUs.


I actually was planning on upgrading to triple monitors over time, thats why I went with 4GB. I was also going to get dual 4GB 680's but then I heard of the 700 series.

Thats what I saw too, love the design and the price difference from the Titan. Then it just seems pricey compared to 680. Good idea. I'm not building until June so I'm definitely waiting. Do you think that it might be possible to OC a 770, and get the performance from a standard 780?


I doubt you could OC a 770 to a 780 this time around for one reason. The 770 is based on the 680 (GK104 chipset) and the 780(GK110 chipset) is based on the Titan. Personally, I'm not expecting the 770 to OC well. From the sounds of it; the 770 (GK104) is going to be utilizing everything it can from the chipset. The Titan of course uses the GK110. The next generation I expect will use more of the GK110 and possibly the GK114. We'll see.
m
0
l
!