Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

HDD transfer to SSD?

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Storage
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Storage
Share
May 23, 2013 7:07:58 PM

Can I put all of my old games from my HDD to a new SSD?

More about : hdd transfer ssd

a b G Storage
May 23, 2013 7:16:45 PM

sure, you can put any data on any drive to a new SSD

will you be able to play those games - is what you really want to ask... that answer is no, unless you image the Hard disk drive to the SSD.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
May 23, 2013 7:23:54 PM

Using cloning software. I use Macrium Reflect Free Edition. It will re-size as necessary and it is very easy to use. It show all your drives. Click on the "Clone This Drive" box and then a list of destination disks comes up, your new SSD, choose it, click finish. A few minutes later, your done!
Share
Related resources
May 23, 2013 7:24:25 PM

dingo07 said:
sure, you can put any data on any drive to a new SSD

will you be able to play those games - is what you really want to ask... that answer is no, unless you image the Hard disk drive to the SSD.


How do you do that?
m
0
l
May 23, 2013 7:27:42 PM

avjguy2362 said:
Using cloning software. I use Macrium Reflect Free Edition. It will re-size as necessary and it is very easy to use. It show all your drives. Click on the "Clone This Drive" box and then a list of destination disks comes up, your new SSD, choose it, click finish. A few minutes later, your done!


So I put it in the SSD and do that and I would be able to play my games?
m
0
l
a b G Storage
May 23, 2013 10:19:13 PM

A little clarification! How many HD's and or partitions do you presently use? There may be a few extra steps to change the drive letter if your games are on a separate drive or partition and you are using Steam?
m
0
l
May 24, 2013 3:45:21 AM

avjguy2362 said:
A little clarification! How many HD's and or partitions do you presently use? There may be a few extra steps to change the drive letter if your games are on a separate drive or partition and you are using Steam?


I have one HDD and have no idea what partitions are. No I got my games from gamestop.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
May 24, 2013 7:20:02 PM

Ok, good, that makes it easy, just clone the drive and everything will be identical, except your computer will feel much faster!!! When you do the clone, the C Drive, the drive you have now will have a small partition in front of it, about 200MB. It will kind of look like it is a part of it, since it is in the same big rectangle as your current operating system. It is called the boot partition and the Reflect Software knows to include it when you click "clone this drive", but there is a small box that is checked, do not UNcheck it, you want that cloned too. Sorry for all the extra instructions, I just didn't want you to get anxious over something I didn't mention.
Partitions are just a way of dividing up a hard drive to make it more organized. You could have a "C" partition just for your OS and main programs and then a "G" partition just for games, "M" for music, etc.
m
0
l
May 28, 2013 12:58:20 PM

avjguy2362 said:
Ok, good, that makes it easy, just clone the drive and everything will be identical, except your computer will feel much faster!!! When you do the clone, the C Drive, the drive you have now will have a small partition in front of it, about 200MB. It will kind of look like it is a part of it, since it is in the same big rectangle as your current operating system. It is called the boot partition and the Reflect Software knows to include it when you click "clone this drive", but there is a small box that is checked, do not UNcheck it, you want that cloned too. Sorry for all the extra instructions, I just didn't want you to get anxious over something I didn't mention.
Partitions are just a way of dividing up a hard drive to make it more organized. You could have a "C" partition just for your OS and main programs and then a "G" partition just for games, "M" for music, etc.


Thanks
m
0
l
!