Solved

Windows Experience Index on RAM only 5.5?

I'm currently using a G.Skill Ripjaws X 2gbx2 1866mhz RAM (overclocked to 2133mhz at 10-12-10-32. When I tested the index after a fresh OS install, it was 5.5 and remained like that even when overclocked.

People said that this is just enough since it's 4gb but I'm not that convinced since many people posted their indexes with 4gb only and scoring 7.5+.

Is this kit a bad one? or maybe I'm doing something wrong?
I hope you guys could help me. thanks.
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows experience index ram
  1. I'd say the only thing wrong is WEI, not a good measure of performance.
  2. +1
  3. check another benchmark. take WEI with salt, well, a lot of salt
  4. thanks for your answer guys! can you please recommend me some good benchmarking applications for RAM?
  5. chugot9218 said:
    I'd say the only thing wrong is WEI, not a good measure of performance.


    Agreed, it's an incredibly baseless benchmark. The numbers are completely worthless. 3DMark or Prime 95 would be better indicators of system performance.
  6. I have a single GTX 670, and it gives my graphics performance as 7.7, a pretty good score, however, you are telling me every other higher specced GPU and every multi-card set up with more power, fits in the remaining .2? Not exactly a good scoring model if you ask me.
  7. AIDA 64
    PassMark

    There are many free benchmark software

    Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT
  8. gskill support said:
    AIDA 64
    PassMark

    There are many free benchmark software

    Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT



    So what is the problem with the windows rating system in relation to the gskill ram?
  9. Thank you very much for the replies! I'll post my results on the benchmarks after I've downloaded them.
  10. There are many factors.

    First, base score can only be as high as the lowest sub score, so if every sub score is 7.0 but graphics is 5.9, the base score will be 5.9 max.

    Total available physical RAM may play part. For example, if after boot up you only have 2GB left for use, that may be considered low, so the score can be low.

    Try reinstalling Windows and see if that improves the score.

    Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT
  11. My first thought is that you are running in single channel mode,not daul channel.

    Simple to check, down load CPU-z, run it and click on the memory tab at the top.
    That will show what the memory is running at , ie speed, cl ratings and # of channels.
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

    PS WEI is a poor bench mark, BUT is usefull as a quick check that things are running correctly.
    .. Ie If ram is running single channel it will be LOWER than normal.
    My DDR3-1333 with single Ram Module was less than 5.0, when a 2nd module was added and went from single -> dual the score jumped up considerably (more than what would be for just increasing size of Ram.
    .. For SSDs, if score is same as HDD (5.9), Very good bet that it is running in IDE PIO mode, Not AHCI.

    WEI was not designed as a definative Benchmark, The intent was to measure the Windows Experince - overall scores Not a sum of individual components but the LOWEST common denominator - a Clue it IS NOT a benchmark.
    However as side benefit, as I mentioned, it is a good Identifier that something is amiss if you score much below what other with same hardware - ie The OP is well below what it should score - Bet he finds a reason.
  12. gskill support said:
    There are many factors.

    First, base score can only be as high as the lowest sub score, so if every sub score is 7.0 but graphics is 5.9, the base score will be 5.9 max.

    Total available physical RAM may play part. For example, if after boot up you only have 2GB left for use, that may be considered low, so the score can be low.

    Try reinstalling Windows and see if that improves the score.

    Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT



    Thanks I clearly misread what he was saying, I thought the OP was stating his ram score.
  13. Best answer
    Not only does WEI automatically give you a low score if you're not running in dual channel, it also caps the score if you drop below 4GB. For example, if you have 4GB and you are running integrated video that takes 64MB of your system RAM for video... automatic deduction into the 5 range. Add a video card that frees up the stolen memory and you'll see the WEI memory score jump up to the 7+ range.

    If you have a discreet video card installed, ensure your integrated video is disabled. Some motherboards leave it enabled for QuickSync even when a video card is present. If you are using integrated video, you cannot exceed the WEI cap unless you have more than 4GB RAM.

    Stupid, I know.
  14. spentshells said:

    Thanks I clearly misread what he was saying, I thought the OP was stating his ram score.


    I am. Here are some pics for reference.

  15. Did you re-run the test?

    Check Total Available Physical RAM to see what it is reporting.

    Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT
  16. gskill support said:
    Did you re-run the test?
    Check Total Available Physical RAM to see what it is reporting.

    Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT


    It says 4.00GB (2.48GB Usable) I am currently running an A10-5800K APU, but when I looked at CPU-Z's graphics tab, the memory size allocated to it is only 512mb. Shouldn't it be atleast 3GB+ of usable RAM left?

    Thanks to all of you for your responses!
  17. jossetteanne said:
    It says 4.00GB (2.48GB Usable) I am currently running an A10-5800K APU, but when I looked at CPU-Z's graphics tab, the memory size allocated to it is only 512mb. Shouldn't it be atleast 3GB+ of usable RAM left?

    There's your problem. Read my post above. WEI caps the memory score if it drops below 4GB when using integrated video.

    Edit: It's not really a problem... it's WEI being dumb. You're RAM is running just fine.
  18. rwpritchett said:
    jossetteanne said:
    It says 4.00GB (2.48GB Usable) I am currently running an A10-5800K APU, but when I looked at CPU-Z's graphics tab, the memory size allocated to it is only 512mb. Shouldn't it be atleast 3GB+ of usable RAM left?

    There's your problem. Read my post above. WEI caps the memory score if it drops below 4GB when using integrated video.

    Edit: It's not really a problem... it's WEI being dumb. You're RAM is running just fine.


    I see. thanks for that! Any tips on how I can manage the memory assigned to the integrated GPU?
  19. It depends on what games you play. For email and office apps you only need the bare minimum. Some games like a lot of video memory more than others. 512 is probably ok but if you experience lag then bump it up and see if that helps. You'll have to find a balance between memory available for the system and memory reserved for video. Giving to one takes away from the other.
  20. rwpritchett said:
    Not only does WEI automatically give you a low score if you're not running in dual channel, it also caps the score if you drop below 4GB. For example, if you have 4GB and you are running integrated video that takes 64MB of your system RAM for video... automatic deduction into the 5 range. Add a video card that frees up the stolen memory and you'll see the WEI memory score jump up to the 7+ range.

    If you have a discreet video card installed, ensure your integrated video is disabled. Some motherboards leave it enabled for QuickSync even when a video card is present. If you are using integrated video, you cannot exceed the WEI cap unless you have more than 4GB RAM.

    Stupid, I know.


    Wow, very interesting. I didn't know that about WEI. I knew the scores were pointless but I didn't know that it did that, good to know.
  21. Which Windows operating system are you using?

    If 32 bit, 3.0GB (max) - 512MB = ~2.50GB remaining.. after startup programs are open, probably only 2GB left or less

    Check to see if you have any memory hole remapping option in BIOS. If so, make sure it is enabled.

    Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows G.SKILL RAM Memory