Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

My Noob PC Build - Will it work well?

Last response: in Components
Share
May 24, 2013 8:29:48 PM

Hi guys,
I have a really bad system as of right now, so i want to build a new one in the coming months. The system i have in mind costs $405 (w/o tax and shipping), and that's my budget. I'm hoping to run BF3 (Low res is fine, FPS is what i want not a sexy game, although a sexy game is fine too ;)  ) and perhaps Crysis 2 (Along with other games that require lower system requirements. My components are:

Processor:
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Ram:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory

Graphics/Video (Again, not looking for ultra settings on BF3 but i want to be able to play it at maybe 1024x768 resolution, with low/medium settings):
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

PSU:
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply

MOBO:
ASRock 760GM-GS3 AM3 AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

HDD (SSDs are out of the question)
Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Case (I have another option in mind):
Rosewill FBM-01 Dual Fans MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case

Optical Drive:
None, as I have all my games/programs on the internet.


So,
Will these components work together? And if they do will they give me decent performance on my games (Crysis 2, BF3, and Ghost Recon: FS)?

Thanks in advance!


More about : noob build work

Best solution

May 24, 2013 8:49:18 PM

I would use an intel i3 CPU. If you look at raw gaming power of amd and intel,intel CPU even the i3 beat a lot of the amd CPU. if I had to build a low end gaming system I would use a amd apu. It have a gpu that more power then the 6670. Toms also showed amd CPU ran better with fast ram.1600 ram should be priced the same as the slower 1600. If you have the money now the r200 case is on sale on new egg for 29 after rebates. Micro case are fine but mid size case easy to work with and have better air flow. Also look for when cosair power supply on sale. Cheap power supply and gaming don't mix.
Share
May 24, 2013 8:51:35 PM

smorizio said:
I would use an intel i3 CPU. If you look at raw gaming power of amd and intel,intel CPU even the i3 beat a lot of the amd CPU. if I had to build a low end gaming system I would use a amd apu. It have a gpu that more power then the 6670. Toms also showed amd CPU ran better with fast ram.1600 ram should be priced the same as the slower 1600. If you have the money now the r200 case is on sale on new egg for 29 after rebates. Micro case are fine but mid size case easy to work with and have better air flow. Also look for when cosair power supply on sale. Cheap power supply and gaming don't mix.


I actually modified it,
Im getting an Athlon II x4 640 (Because it works with most games, and it's a quad core so i shouldn't have problems) with 4 gb of ram (because i personally think 8 gb is overkill for playing games, no multitasking) and a radeon 7770. I can't get an i3 just because the processor alone is $150, and that's more than my mobo and processor combined.

m
0
l
Related resources
May 26, 2013 6:33:14 PM

I completely changed my computer specs. Now im going with an i3 2100 because it performs slightly better than the phenom ii x4 965.

The full specs:
APEX TX-381-C Black Steel Micro ATX Tower Computer Case

RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply

GIGABYTE GV-R667D3-2GI Radeon HD 6670 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

These items cannot be changed, because I have a combo deal that saves me almost $100 total on all of them together.

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100

Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

uATX means microatx right?
ASUS P8H77-M LE LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 uATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model

Will this run my games at low settings/resolutions? (crysis 2, bf3, ghost recon future soldier)
m
0
l
May 26, 2013 6:50:40 PM

You got yourself a good midrange build right their.

But if you spend your money on an AMD instead of intel then it will leave you with some dough to buy a better graphics card.

Plus there is no significant performance comparison on intel and AMD.

my opinion. Spend the dough on a good gpu and get a solid phenom. Great cpu for sub $100
m
0
l
May 26, 2013 8:40:57 PM

the problem is that i save $100 on the processor, hard drive, mobo, and ram together. I can't buy them separately or else i'll lose money :3 I already tried to find parts for the build, but they're more expensive when i put them together. Plus, i checked out the benchmarks Here and saw that the Phenom II x4 965 BE wasn't as good as the i3 2100.
m
0
l
May 26, 2013 8:51:30 PM

Shadowblade2652 said:
the problem is that i save $100 on the processor, hard drive, mobo, and ram together. I can't buy them separately or else i'll lose money :3 I already tried to find parts for the build, but they're more expensive when i put them together. Plus, i checked out the benchmarks Here and saw that the Phenom II x4 965 BE wasn't as good as the i3 2100.


if you got bundle savings on i3 then go ahead

m
0
l
May 26, 2013 9:06:33 PM

Fallensegal said:
Shadowblade2652 said:
the problem is that i save $100 on the processor, hard drive, mobo, and ram together. I can't buy them separately or else i'll lose money :3 I already tried to find parts for the build, but they're more expensive when i put them together. Plus, i checked out the benchmarks Here and saw that the Phenom II x4 965 BE wasn't as good as the i3 2100.


if you got bundle savings on i3 then go ahead



On the graphics card I decided to spend an extra $10 and buy a 6770 instead of a 6670. Is that better for playing games at low resolutions with 30+ fps?

m
0
l
May 27, 2013 7:02:34 AM

I used to play games on my hd radeon 7450 which was 5 years old with ddr3 memory and it still runs bf3 on low
m
0
l
May 27, 2013 1:02:03 PM

Fallensegal said:
I used to play games on my hd radeon 7450 which was 5 years old with ddr3 memory and it still runs bf3 on low


so the 6670 should run the games just fine?
m
0
l
May 27, 2013 4:37:57 PM

Shadowblade2652 said:
Fallensegal said:
I used to play games on my hd radeon 7450 which was 5 years old with ddr3 memory and it still runs bf3 on low


so the 6670 should run the games just fine?


ya

m
3
l
May 27, 2013 4:39:07 PM

Fallensegal said:
Shadowblade2652 said:
Fallensegal said:
I used to play games on my hd radeon 7450 which was 5 years old with ddr3 memory and it still runs bf3 on low


so the 6670 should run the games just fine?


ya



but for $5 more i can get the sparkle geforce 560 se which has better futuremark benchmark scores than the 6670 :3

I think I'll stick with the 6670. Thanks :) 
m
0
l
!