Solved

$1,000 High-end Workstation Build Advice

Approximate Purchase Date:

This week, as soon as my parts list gets validated by forum experts

Budget Range:

$1000 - $1200, After Rebates (there are none for my parts); After Shipping (shouldn't be too expensive, most are free)

System Usage from Most to Least Important:

Programming (multiple IDEs open, constant builds and compiles), Gaming (Starcraft II mostly), web-surfing 60 tabs open and general computer use with tons of crap open

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, a second monitor

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM) Everything, new build

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon, links below

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU (they're the fastest), second-best of everything else (goal is not too expensive, while keeping quality/performance)

Overclocking: Maybe, Convince me why I should, would just like to use my computer smoothly and quickly, less things to deal with

SLI or Crossfire: No, no intense Crysis gaming

Your Monitor Resolution: Exactly 1920 x 1080 please

Additional Comments:

Quiet (will keep on at night), Fast but cheap (everybody asks for this probably)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:

1. It's about time
2. Old computer broke (crashes, when turning on after, monitor gets no signal, don't wanna deal with it, not worth paying to fix, relatively old (3-4 years old?) )

Components List

I'm going to be going with TheBigTroll's parts list instead:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jp2011/saved/WLv

I've already bought an Antec 520W continuous power supply. Can I keep that instead of spending another $50 on the power supply listed in the parts list above?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 000 high end workstation build advice
  1. this is a confusing build. first if you are not overclocking you dont need an unlocked cpu, you dont need a cpu cooler and like you already have you dont need a z77/z68 motherboard. second, if you are going to have 60 tabs open(you need to get more organized lol) then 8 gb might be stretching it on ram. third, do not absolutely do not get a usb wireless adapter. that is not something to cheap out on. get a pci card.
  2. Best answer
    the psu could have been way better if you got a xfx 550w like im about to recommend

wireless is unnecessary. avoid wireless if possible

get this build instead
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZZg1

-you are overspending on the board at 100 dollars
    -case can be way cheaper and be way better in this case
    -i have no idea why you would buy a 650ti when its pretty much the worst value after the gtx 680 but ok
    -a i7 is much faster for what you are using it for. if it was gaming, a i7 isnt going to be useful
  3. cbrunnem said:
    this is a confusing build. first if you are not overclocking you dont need an unlocked cpu, you dont need a cpu cooler and like you already have you dont need a z77/z68 motherboard. second, if you are going to have 60 tabs open(you need to get more organized lol) then 8 gb might be stretching it on ram. third, do not absolutely do not get a usb wireless adapter. that is not something to cheap out on. get a pci card.

And what's the wired network adapter for? The mobo should have one already?
  4. noidea_77 said:
    cbrunnem said:
    this is a confusing build. first if you are not overclocking you dont need an unlocked cpu, you dont need a cpu cooler and like you already have you dont need a z77/z68 motherboard. second, if you are going to have 60 tabs open(you need to get more organized lol) then 8 gb might be stretching it on ram. third, do not absolutely do not get a usb wireless adapter. that is not something to cheap out on. get a pci card.

And what's the wired network adapter for? The mobo should have one already?

Yes it does, there's no need to purchase extra, you're buying the same part twice.
  5. TheBigTroll said:
    the psu could have been way better if you got a xfx 550w like im about to recommend

get this build instead

-i have no idea why you would buy a 650ti when its pretty much the worst value after the gtx 680 but ok
    -a i7 is much faster for what you are using it for. if it was gaming, a i7 isnt going to be useful

Am looking over the build now, thanks for the edits. Great case btw.

One more question:

For the power supply that I already have (Antec 520W continuous), can I keep that for this build instead of spending another $50 on the XFX 550W power supply?
  6. No extra fans needed. Maybe a cheaper / smaller ssd and a hdd for data / backup instead.
  7. jasonpang said:
    TheBigTroll said:

get this build instead

One more question:

For the power supply that I already have (Antec 520W continuous), can I keep that for this build instead of spending another $50 on the XFX 550W power supply?

yeah you can keep it. i just put it there so that i can show you a better option
  8. TheBigTroll said:
    jasonpang said:
    TheBigTroll said:

get this build instead

One more question:

yeah you can keep it. i just put it there so that i can show you a better option

Cool, thanks TheBigTroll. I also found a cheaper monitor.

I'm going to enjoy this build a lot.
  9. its cheaper because it doesnt nearly produce the same colour results. oh well, at least its very cheap
Ask a new question

Read More

Workstations Build Systems