7950 general overclock q's

circularpromise53

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013
so after having success with overclocking my cpu, i decided to tackle my gpu. So far i have:
Voltage 1250
Power Limit +20
Core Clock 1150
Mem Clock Stock (my card has Elpida RAM and isnt stable if i overclock it)
Fan speed 75%
I am using msi afterburner.
Now i have a few questions.
Will running this overclock only while gaming ruin the lifespan. i know it will overtime but i want at least 2-3 more years out of it. Max temp after 15 minutes of furry and tessy test using msi kombuster (my max resolution, highest amount of filtering, and fullscreen) is 74C. Now would the increase of voltage, and fan speed destroy my card in the near future if i only bump them up for gaming? (up to 8 hours a day) and how can i ensure the stability of this overclock is there a prime95 type of test for gpus? Also would you consider this a safe overclock? thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131478

^my card

Solution
No, OC'ing your card won't ruin it unless you push the voltage to high. Running the fan at 75% will be fine as well, I just wouldn't go much more though. Don't have it running at 100%!

As for your temps, they are ok. I've always lived by 85c is the temp to stay under but others may say a little more, others a little less.

For stability checking, well 3DMark 11 isn't great for stability but I use it as well as Heaven to get a bit of an indication on stability. Also try something like Crysis, the new Tomb Raider or Metro LL and run the benchmarks on ultra 20-40 times. It may take a while but there's no quick way to test stability unfortunately =)

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
No, OC'ing your card won't ruin it unless you push the voltage to high. Running the fan at 75% will be fine as well, I just wouldn't go much more though. Don't have it running at 100%!

As for your temps, they are ok. I've always lived by 85c is the temp to stay under but others may say a little more, others a little less.

For stability checking, well 3DMark 11 isn't great for stability but I use it as well as Heaven to get a bit of an indication on stability. Also try something like Crysis, the new Tomb Raider or Metro LL and run the benchmarks on ultra 20-40 times. It may take a while but there's no quick way to test stability unfortunately =)

Solution

circularpromise53

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013

thanks for your help, and i love your signature haha

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

No problem, happy to help. And my signature is true...... honestly I asked him :D