Solved

New build around old hard drive. Light weight build.

I was in the Philippines. My wife's old computer was done. Didn't work. I want to build a new computer for my wife's family. I saved the hard drive because it has lots of old pictures and things that they saved before the computer when lights out. So I want to build a new computer around this hard drive. It needs to be a light weight computer because I will travel with it in my suitcase the next time I visit there..next year. They don't need anything fancy. Just a computer that allows them to go on the net, skype, view videos and movies, and play online games. The hard drive is a WD Caviar Enhanced IDE Hard Drive 40 GB. Thanks.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build hard drive light weight build
  1. Whatever you do, whatever you build....save those "old pictures and things" elsewhere before you do anything else with that drive.

    Once the important things are saved, you can design, build, and reinstall at your leisure.
  2. cant see any point in building round a 40gb ide hard drive

    most new boards dont even support ide

    just get a cheap laptop

    and as mentioned back up those important things to at least 2 places if they are irreplaceable
  3. How would i back up those things if I only have the hard drive, I can't get into it. I'm sure there are boards even if a bit dated out there that are compatible. I'm not trying to build anything state of the art.
  4. You can't build a new/upgrade PC, state of the art or no, around an old 40GB IDE drive.

    Get some sort of docking station or other USB drive connector.
    Save the critical info from that drive to whatever you are using right now.
    Build a new PC for her family.
  5. you can get usb enclosures that will accept ide hard drives to back up

    most internet stores dont sell motherboards with ide any more

    probably get one on ebay

    but just think a cheap laptop may be all you need

    especially for portability

    you wont be able to plug that ide hard drive in a new build and boot from it

    due to driver conflicts so you would need it connected as a second hard drive if you go the build a pc route
  6. what about IDE to SATA adapters?
  7. Honestly, I'd just suggest putting that hard drive into a friend's or somebody's computer, save the photos and whatnot to dropbox, then use that money to buy a nice new laptop. No point in building a full-sized PC just so it will be hauled around.
  8. neiru said:
    what about IDE to SATA adapters?


    I have a couple of similar devices
    PCI -> IDE adapter. Allows an IDE drive to be installed internally.
    USB -> SATA/IDE adapterr. Allows an IDE or other drive to be accessed via USB. Very useful for getting data off an old drive.

    Consider getting them an inexpensive laptop, and simply getting the data off that old 40GB drive.
    Don't build a new PC around that drive.
  9. USAFRet said:
    neiru said:
    what about IDE to SATA adapters?


    I have a couple of similar devices
    PCI -> IDE adapter. Allows an IDE drive to be installed internally.
    USB -> SATA/IDE adapterr. Allows an IDE or other drive to be accessed via USB. Very useful for getting data off an old drive.

    Consider getting them an inexpensive laptop, and simply getting the data off that old 40GB drive.
    Don't build a new PC around that drive.


    If it's not too much trouble could you give examples (website, where to buy) of these devices to take this data off the hard drive? I think I will just buy them a laptop, but I would like to get that data for them. Thanks.
  10. Best answer
  11. neiru said:


    If it's not too much trouble could you give examples (website, where to buy) of these devices to take this data off the hard drive? I think I will just buy them a laptop, but I would like to get that data for them. Thanks.


    Something like this, from Amazon.com. $18.00
  12. USAFRet said:
    neiru said:


    If it's not too much trouble could you give examples (website, where to buy) of these devices to take this data off the hard drive? I think I will just buy them a laptop, but I would like to get that data for them. Thanks.


    Something like this, from Amazon.com. $18.00


    Thanks a lot. I will pick up one of those gadgets and just buy a laptop.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Light Computers Hard Drives Systems