Solved

GTX 670 SLI power supply question

Hey guys,

I'm graduating from High School in a few weeks and I've decided to get myself a second GTX 670 to put in SLI in my rig as a sort of reward. My only concern is regarding my PSU. I have a Cooler Master GX 650w back from when I first built my in 2009, it's the only part left standing from that rig. Is 650w going to be enough or should I replace the PSU for a higher tier 750w? Opinions are pretty mixed on other sites, once I get feedback here, I'll make a final decision.

Thanks,

Chris
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gtx 670 sli power supply question
  1. Well you probably will get mixed opinions but Toms own Reviews show the GTX 670 Reference Under load is about 145 watts. If you get anything other than a reference expect higher power consumption. The highest wattage I see is 170 watts. So even with that and your other components it looks like you would be ok with the current power Supply you have
  2. Best answer
    I would not trust an old cheap PSU with $800 worth of GPU's, its time to buy new! Corsair HX 750
  3. well i guess if you believe that your PSU is unreliable then you have answered your question. But There is something to be said for a quality PSU and its money well spent on something quality.
  4. Ya. I would not push that PSU over 80% load.

    You definitely need a new more reliable PSU at 650w.
  5. Most look at wattage but its important to consider amperages on the 12v rails or rail
  6. redeemer said:
    Most look at wattage but its important to consider amperages on the 12v rails or rail


    doesn't matter what the amperages the 12V rails can support when the rest of the PSU board can fail... Coolermaster's PSUs (except for their top end models) is pretty terrible when pushed to the limits of what it's suppose to do...
  7. I'd go with a 750W Seasonic http://amzn.to/13cqJcJ or a Corsair http://amzn.to/13cqJcJ PSU.
  8. killerhurtalot said:
    redeemer said:
    Most look at wattage but its important to consider amperages on the 12v rails or rail


    doesn't matter what the amperages the 12V rails can support when the rest of the PSU board can fail... Coolermaster's PSUs (except for their top end models) is pretty terrible when pushed to the limits of what it's suppose to do...


    well failure does happen my point was picking a proper PSU for the specific application can increase reliability
  9. redeemer said:
    killerhurtalot said:
    redeemer said:
    Most look at wattage but its important to consider amperages on the 12v rails or rail


    doesn't matter what the amperages the 12V rails can support when the rest of the PSU board can fail... Coolermaster's PSUs (except for their top end models) is pretty terrible when pushed to the limits of what it's suppose to do...


    well failure does happen my point was picking a proper PSU for the specific application can increase reliability


    All PSUs basically have the same 12V rail amperages... (unless it's got multiple rails, even then, they still add up to around the same amperages...)

    Cheap 500W PSUs have 12V rail or rails totalling around 34-40 amps... a corsair's got a single 12V rail @36A and PC power and cooling has single 12V rail @38A for its PSU...

    all of them claim they can provide around the same amount of power... but the cheap end ones got a 1 year warranty... and literally fails when pushed to the limit even though their ability to provide power is relatively the same...

    You wouldn't trust a PC to some offbrand PSU maker like Coolmax, azza, or apevia and etc even if their 12V rails still supported the proper wattages lol.
  10. Hey, thanks for all the answer guys, I will definitely look into getting a new PSU. I'll be looking for something modular this time around along with it being a 750w model. I have a few friends with HX 750w so I guess that would be a start. Once again, thanks a lot for the help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies 670 650w SLI Graphics Gtx