Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

i5 3570k or i7 3770k?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 27, 2013 12:54:44 AM

OK, so I first I decided get the 3570k for $170 at Microcenter but then I saw a 3770k for $230, which is way a better price than the original i5 3570k, is it worth $60 extra to get a 3770k over the 3570k or should I spend that $60 on something else? I mainly use this rig for gaming and some video rendering, and which one use more power?

More about : 3570k 3770k

a b à CPUs
May 27, 2013 12:58:22 AM

If you're doing video rendering, then the 3770k is definitely worth the extra $60. The hyperthreading would boost the performance by 10-30%.

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2013 12:59:15 AM

An i5 would be just fine for gaming.

An i7 would be a bit better if you do a lot of rendering, as it has HyperThreading (HT).

The K though, is only something you should get if you plan on OC'ing.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 27, 2013 1:03:02 AM

Wait to see what Haswell is like if you are planning to upgrade your CPU, Motherboard and RAM!
Not long to wait for next generation...
;-)
DamianWRX
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2013 1:11:15 AM

DamianWRX said:
Wait to see what Haswell is like if you are planning to upgrade your CPU, Motherboard and RAM!
Not long to wait for next generation...
;-)
DamianWRX


Not worth the extra money.... Microcenter doesn't usually discount hardware prices until 6 months to a year after it releases..... nothing will beat the i7-3770k at $230...

the pre-production samples shows a 5-10% increase in performance depending on what you do... that extra $100 just for a newer model processor is not worth it lol.
m
0
l
May 27, 2013 1:16:31 AM

killerhurtalot said:
DamianWRX said:
Wait to see what Haswell is like if you are planning to upgrade your CPU, Motherboard and RAM!
Not long to wait for next generation...
;-)
DamianWRX


Not worth the extra money.... Microcenter doesn't usually discount hardware prices until 6 months to a year after it releases..... nothing will beat the i7-3770k at $230...

the pre-production samples shows a 5-10% increase in performance depending on what you do... that extra $100 just for a newer model processor is not worth it lol.


Yeah, I think so too...and I just can't wait any longer. D:
m
0
l
May 27, 2013 1:19:53 AM

just get the i7 3770k, that way to cheap
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2013 1:21:41 AM

TheUnknownSources said:
killerhurtalot said:
DamianWRX said:
Wait to see what Haswell is like if you are planning to upgrade your CPU, Motherboard and RAM!
Not long to wait for next generation...
;-)
DamianWRX


Not worth the extra money.... Microcenter doesn't usually discount hardware prices until 6 months to a year after it releases..... nothing will beat the i7-3770k at $230...

the pre-production samples shows a 5-10% increase in performance depending on what you do... that extra $100 just for a newer model processor is not worth it lol.


Yeah, I think so too...and I just can't wait any longer. D:


Do you have a Z77/Z75 based motherboard and a 3rd party CPU cooler? I would highly recommend this so you can overclock your processor (very easily to 4.0+ ghz) for basically a "free" 15-25% performance increase.
m
0
l
May 27, 2013 1:25:51 AM

I'm planning to get a Asrock Z77 extreme 4 and a Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler is that good enough?
m
0
l
May 27, 2013 1:36:41 AM

TheUnknownSources said:
I'm planning to get a Asrock Z77 extreme 4 and a Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler is that good enough?


I got the same parts but I have the i5 3570K CPU. I have Overclocked mine to 4.2Ghz and it is working very well with idle temp of around 30 degrees celcius. It is a very good setup for its price.

If you have more money, maybe you should consider a stronger cooler for a bigger OC.
m
0
l
May 27, 2013 8:08:10 AM

hyper 212 usually can get u at 4.4 on a reasonable temperature, i get mind on 4.2 on stock cooler, highest temp of everyday use is only at the range of 65, but failed the stress test,
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2013 10:20:34 AM

Platinum_Gamer said:
TheUnknownSources said:
I'm planning to get a Asrock Z77 extreme 4 and a Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler is that good enough?


I got the same parts but I have the i5 3570K CPU. I have Overclocked mine to 4.2Ghz and it is working very well with idle temp of around 30 degrees celcius. It is a very good setup for its price.

If you have more money, maybe you should consider a stronger cooler for a bigger OC.


Eh... not really worth the money... Even with a Noctua NH-D14, you'll be lucky to hit 4.7-4.8ghz... and that costs $50 more...
m
0
l
!