Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Does a graphics card overclock reduce the lifetime?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 27, 2013 6:57:26 AM

I just OC'd my 7870 XT card from 975 MHz core clock to 1140 MHz clock.
Will this reduce the lifetime of my card... if soo how much?
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2013 6:59:55 AM

Yes at least 20% +/- 5%
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2013 7:02:45 AM

Any sort of overclocking puts more stress on the component thus reducing lifespan. To give you a exact number on how long it's going to last is impossible but if you do it cautiously and keep overclock's mild and temperature in check it should last you well into your next upgrade.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 132 K Overclocking
a c 162 U Graphics card
May 27, 2013 7:08:05 AM

If you keep voltages at stock and keep temps lower than 90C, then VERY LITTLE effect on the lifetime is aparent. If you increased voltages, expect a shorten lifespan but no one can say by how much.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2013 7:12:00 AM

Novuake said:
If you keep voltages at stock and keep temps lower than 90C, then VERY LITTLE effect on the lifetime is aparent. If you increased voltages, expect a shorten lifespan but no one can say by how much.


+1 if you don't raise the voltage there's really no difference.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2013 7:25:15 AM

Overclocking by itself, no (at least not enough to count). The problem comes when you also increase the voltage to achieve even higher clocks. Too high voltage combined with insufficient general cooling (still on OEM cooler) could lead to some transistor destruction.

I abandoned overclocking since I don't have time to do stability tests and the gains are not so big (10% overclock will NOT bring 10% performance). If a game is barely playable, overclocking will not make it playable.
m
0
l
May 27, 2013 7:27:34 AM

Novuake said:
If you keep voltages at stock and keep temps lower than 90C, then VERY LITTLE effect on the lifetime is aparent. If you increased voltages, expect a shorten lifespan but no one can say by how much.

When it comes to voltages Im really confused... In the TRIXX OC software it shows 1.187 voltage (load voltage) but when i press reset in the TRIXX software it changes voltage to 1.256 (with stock clocks). Soo should this be the stock voltage for my card? I searched the web and some say you should keep under 1.25 voltage... others say that that is the stock voltage.

Can anyone who owns a Sapphire 7870 XT tell me stock voltage and safe temps?
People say that safe temps for this card is around 80-90c. Mine only reaches 64c during load. VRM temps go up to 82c. Which should i worry/not worry about?
m
0
l
a c 132 K Overclocking
a c 162 U Graphics card
May 27, 2013 7:30:06 AM

Schytheron said:
Novuake said:
If you keep voltages at stock and keep temps lower than 90C, then VERY LITTLE effect on the lifetime is aparent. If you increased voltages, expect a shorten lifespan but no one can say by how much.

When it comes to voltages Im really confused... In the TRIXX OC software it shows 1.187 voltage (load voltage) but when i press reset in the TRIXX software it changes voltage to 1.256 (with stock clocks). Soo should this be the stock voltage for my card? I searched the web and some say you should keep under 1.25 voltage... others say that that is the stock voltage.

Can anyone who owns a Sapphire 7870 XT tell me stock voltage and safe temps?
People say that safe temps for this card is around 80-90c. Mine only reaches 64c during load. VRM temps go up to 82c. Which should i worry/not worry about?


Voltages at stcok are dynamic, meaning it goes up and down (within parameters) as the card requires different amounts of power. The HD7870 XT will not go above 1.28v at stock, so that is perfectly normal.
if you do not increase the voltage yourself, it will remain within stock specifications.
m
0
l
May 27, 2013 7:36:07 AM

Novuake said:
Schytheron said:
Novuake said:
If you keep voltages at stock and keep temps lower than 90C, then VERY LITTLE effect on the lifetime is aparent. If you increased voltages, expect a shorten lifespan but no one can say by how much.

When it comes to voltages Im really confused... In the TRIXX OC software it shows 1.187 voltage (load voltage) but when i press reset in the TRIXX software it changes voltage to 1.256 (with stock clocks). Soo should this be the stock voltage for my card? I searched the web and some say you should keep under 1.25 voltage... others say that that is the stock voltage.

Can anyone who owns a Sapphire 7870 XT tell me stock voltage and safe temps?
People say that safe temps for this card is around 80-90c. Mine only reaches 64c during load. VRM temps go up to 82c. Which should i worry/not worry about?


Voltages at stcok are dynamic, meaning it goes up and down (within parameters) as the card requires different amounts of power. The HD7870 XT will not go above 1.28v at stock, so that is perfectly normal.
if you do not increase the voltage yourself, it will remain within stock specifications.

Nice to finally have this confirmed by someone. By voltages being dynamic so you mean that every card has a diffrent stock voltage or that they have different voltages when idle and in load, cause i have 0,8 voltage when idle.

Do you know anything about safe VRM temps for my card? I dont have to worry about core temps since 64c during load is pretty low... right?
m
0
l
May 27, 2013 7:37:09 AM

mathew7 said:
Overclocking by itself, no (at least not enough to count). The problem comes when you also increase the voltage to achieve even higher clocks. Too high voltage combined with insufficient general cooling (still on OEM cooler) could lead to some transistor destruction.

I abandoned overclocking since I don't have time to do stability tests and the gains are not so big (10% overclock will NOT bring 10% performance). If a game is barely playable, overclocking will not make it playable.

Really? when I oc'ed my card i got a 10 FPS improvment
m
0
l
a c 132 K Overclocking
a c 162 U Graphics card
May 27, 2013 7:38:12 AM

Schytheron said:
Novuake said:
Schytheron said:
Novuake said:
If you keep voltages at stock and keep temps lower than 90C, then VERY LITTLE effect on the lifetime is aparent. If you increased voltages, expect a shorten lifespan but no one can say by how much.

When it comes to voltages Im really confused... In the TRIXX OC software it shows 1.187 voltage (load voltage) but when i press reset in the TRIXX software it changes voltage to 1.256 (with stock clocks). Soo should this be the stock voltage for my card? I searched the web and some say you should keep under 1.25 voltage... others say that that is the stock voltage.

Can anyone who owns a Sapphire 7870 XT tell me stock voltage and safe temps?
People say that safe temps for this card is around 80-90c. Mine only reaches 64c during load. VRM temps go up to 82c. Which should i worry/not worry about?


Voltages at stcok are dynamic, meaning it goes up and down (within parameters) as the card requires different amounts of power. The HD7870 XT will not go above 1.28v at stock, so that is perfectly normal.
if you do not increase the voltage yourself, it will remain within stock specifications.

Nice to finally have this confirmed by someone. By voltages being dynamic so you mean that every card has a diffrent stock voltage or that they have different voltages when idle and in load, cause i have 0,8 voltage when idle.

Do you know anything about safe VRM temps for my card? I dont have to worry about core temps since 64c during load is pretty low... right?


Correct to the first(different voltages at different loads) and last part. VRM temps are safe upto 90C but I do not like it when it exceeds 75C. Really depends on specific card model.
m
0
l
a c 132 K Overclocking
a c 162 U Graphics card
May 27, 2013 7:39:45 AM

Schytheron said:
mathew7 said:
Overclocking by itself, no (at least not enough to count). The problem comes when you also increase the voltage to achieve even higher clocks. Too high voltage combined with insufficient general cooling (still on OEM cooler) could lead to some transistor destruction.

I abandoned overclocking since I don't have time to do stability tests and the gains are not so big (10% overclock will NOT bring 10% performance). If a game is barely playable, overclocking will not make it playable.

Really? when I oc'ed my card i got a 10 FPS improvment


LOL yeah 10% is possible on most AMD cards, easily in fact. Especially on Tahiti based GPUs.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a c 78 U Graphics card
May 27, 2013 2:48:35 PM

Novuake said:
If you keep voltages at stock and keep temps lower than 90C, then VERY LITTLE effect on the lifetime is aparent. If you increased voltages, expect a shorten lifespan but no one can say by how much.


And once again im agreeing with MLP. Lol. But.10%+ gains on AMD GPUs are easy on stock voltage and basically free. 10% is not 10 FPS though. That depends on the game
m
0
l
a c 132 K Overclocking
a c 162 U Graphics card
May 27, 2013 2:52:06 PM

unksol said:
Novuake said:
If you keep voltages at stock and keep temps lower than 90C, then VERY LITTLE effect on the lifetime is aparent. If you increased voltages, expect a shorten lifespan but no one can say by how much.


And once again im agreeing with MLP. Lol. But.10%+ gains on AMD GPUs are easy on stock voltage and basically free. 10% is not 10 FPS though. That depends on the game


Do not make it a habit! :D 
m
0
l
May 29, 2013 1:12:37 AM

unksol said:
Novuake said:
If you keep voltages at stock and keep temps lower than 90C, then VERY LITTLE effect on the lifetime is aparent. If you increased voltages, expect a shorten lifespan but no one can say by how much.


And once again im agreeing with MLP. Lol. But.10%+ gains on AMD GPUs are easy on stock voltage and basically free. 10% is not 10 FPS though. That depends on the game

I get a 10 fps increase in both Heaven Benchmark and Metro Last Light
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2013 6:25:12 AM

Schytheron said:

I get a 10 fps increase in both Heaven Benchmark and Metro Last Light

But what is the base fps? 25 vs 35 fps means unplayable to playable. 75 vs 85 is unnoticeable (except the measurement itself). Both are 10fps changes. That's why % is relevant.
m
0
l
!