Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Software CPU Core Utilization Question

Last response: in Applications
Share
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2013 9:50:31 AM

I'm just curious, does software have to be designed specifically to execute X amount of threads, or is it possible to make a program that can detect what you have and work with it, without having to make specific alterations for each possibility (2, 4, 6, 8, etc...)?

Best solution

a c 194 à CPUs
May 27, 2013 9:53:21 AM
Share

Soem software can only use X amount of cores, while some are capable of using more or even less. Some can use multiple but not all to their full power.

It depends on the programs coding and can not be changed.
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2013 5:26:04 AM

Novuake said:
Soem software can only use X amount of cores, while some are capable of using more or even less. Some can use multiple but not all to their full power.

It depends on the programs coding and can not be changed.


So it isn't in any way possible to be adaptive to what it has to work with unless it was specifically told to use X amount of cores?
Related resources
a c 194 à CPUs
May 28, 2013 6:10:44 AM

jrgray93 said:
Novuake said:
Soem software can only use X amount of cores, while some are capable of using more or even less. Some can use multiple but not all to their full power.

It depends on the programs coding and can not be changed.


So it isn't in any way possible to be adaptive to what it has to work with unless it was specifically told to use X amount of cores?


Yes, its a little more complex that than. But yes, mostly like that.
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2013 6:24:20 AM

Novuake said:
jrgray93 said:
Novuake said:
Soem software can only use X amount of cores, while some are capable of using more or even less. Some can use multiple but not all to their full power.

It depends on the programs coding and can not be changed.


So it isn't in any way possible to be adaptive to what it has to work with unless it was specifically told to use X amount of cores?


Yes, its a little more complex that than. But yes, mostly like that.


Well yeah, I assume it's more complex, but I'd have no idea how to explain it, since I am not a software engineer. :??: 

But that answers my questions, thank you!
a c 194 à CPUs
May 28, 2013 6:37:55 AM

jrgray93 said:
Novuake said:
jrgray93 said:
Novuake said:
Soem software can only use X amount of cores, while some are capable of using more or even less. Some can use multiple but not all to their full power.

It depends on the programs coding and can not be changed.


So it isn't in any way possible to be adaptive to what it has to work with unless it was specifically told to use X amount of cores?


Yes, its a little more complex that than. But yes, mostly like that.


Well yeah, I assume it's more complex, but I'd have no idea how to explain it, since I am not a software engineer. :??: 

But that answers my questions, thank you!


All good.
!