Is 840 pro needed for me or just nice to have?

knudsen22

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Hello

I've been searching high and low to find out which ssd was best for me and I've been juggeling between ocz vector and samsung 840 pro, with the 840 pro as my favorite as it's cheapest between those. Then I looked at the 840 (non-pro), which was sicnificant cheaper here in Denmark and I wondered if I really would notice the difference of those two. I'm going to install it as my boot drive in my Macbook pro 15" 2011 early model along with the 500 gb 7200 rpm that came with it. Mostly I use my computer for studies, gaming League of Legends and Indesign and Photoshop. I'm not sure wether I need 250/256 gb or can settle with 120/128 as I'm currently only using 250 gb of space whereas most of this are movies, pictures, music which could easily be stored on the 500 gb hdd.

I'm most likely not going to change this ssd in a long time, so lifespan and warranty are important matters to me, just as much as the total price, performance and of course reliability.

So with this background info, which would you recommend is the best ssd for me: 840 pro or 840 (non-pro), or an even third?

Thanks in advance! :)

Samsung 840 Pro is better. The Samsung 840 uses a TLC NAND controller which is inferior to the Samsung 840 Pro's MLC NAND controller. Though, if you can find a cheaper Plextor M5S, Crucial m4, Kingston HyperX 3K, A-Data XPG SX900, OCZ Agility 4, OCZ Vertex 4, etc. then get those. They are also very good and reliable.

If your not after amazing write performance on the SSD, then I think the 840 will be fine.

Its true that its TLC flash is inferior to the 840 Pro's MLC and isnt stand up to as many read/write cycles, but modern SSD's have so many redundancies built in and software functions to prevent degredation that by the time it becomes apparent (under normal usage) it will be long outdated anyway.

And really, the biggest advantage an SSD has is that its an SSD. You will see a massive difference over a HDD even with the poorest of SSD's.

knudsen22

Honorable
May 28, 2013

Thank you very much for your answer :) I've just compared the prices of all the model for the 120/128 gb version of those, and the 840 pro is even cheaper than some of them, whereas the 840 is the cheapest of all.

Also thank you very much for your input, I'm not sure wether or not i "amazing write performance", as I don't know when the ssd is writing and when it's reading. Also I don't know "how high" the 4k random write / read "needs" to be to be amazing.