Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

help please: HD 6990 failing to initialize on boot?

Tags:
  • Boot
  • HD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
May 28, 2013 7:44:13 AM

Hello

I've had the above graphics card for about year, and it has been running very well.

I few months ago, my PC would not always boot correctly at the first try. Often I would need to press the power button a few times for it to boot, but once it did it was stable for weeks on end.

More recently, it would boot fine (everything would appear to load) but there would be no picture. Eventually, I figured that if I opened the case and "jiggled" the card it would sometimes work.... except this no longer works. In order words, it boots up now, but there is no picture. Furthermore, the fan on the card is always at full speed. I have tried a different PCI slot and had no success. I have swapped in a different card and this has worked fine.

Is there any hope for my HD6990? :(  What can I do?

Thanks

More about : 6990 failing initialize boot

May 28, 2013 8:17:16 AM

Is the card still under warranty? I would sure hope a ~$800 card would have over a year warranty. Just out of curiousity, what psu do you have?
m
l
May 28, 2013 8:39:37 AM

wanderer11 said:
Is the card still under warranty? I would sure hope a ~$800 card would have over a year warranty. Just out of curiousity, what psu do you have?

My PSU is

Corsair AX850 850W 80+ GOLD Modular PSU

Problem regarding warranty is that I am in South Africa, so I am not sure if it is valid here :( 

I have lodged a ticket with their global support, but this isn't usually useful..
m
l
Related resources
May 28, 2013 8:44:05 AM

Have you tried another card, to confirm it is the card that is causing the fault?
m
l
May 28, 2013 9:09:36 AM

Does your computer boot up if you use igpu (assuming you have it)?
m
l
May 28, 2013 1:39:38 PM

RobCrezz said:
Have you tried another card, to confirm it is the card that is causing the fault?

Yes, another card works.
m
l
May 28, 2013 1:40:29 PM

wanderer11 said:
Does your computer boot up if you use igpu (assuming you have it)?

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't think my motherboard (ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z ) has this, so I haven't tried. Thanks.
m
l
May 29, 2013 7:13:13 AM

It would be in the cpu, not the motherboard. Anyway, if another card works then the 6990 is bad. You have a good psu so I'm not concerned about that. Good luck with the RMA!
m
l