Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Budget gaming graphics card for 1920x1080

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 28, 2013 7:36:07 PM

Hello all, first time post here so I apologize if I mess this up.
Anyways, could I get some recommendations for a new gaming video card?
Monitor (ASUS VE278Q): 27 inch with 1920x1080 resolution
Budget: I would like to keep under $300

Any suggestions?

Also, when buying a video card, what do you guys think are the more important deciding factors when picking out a card?

Thank you.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 28, 2013 7:41:02 PM

what's your system specs? mainly motherboard pcie spec and power supply?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 28, 2013 7:46:58 PM

then either of those cards Novuake suggested will work - or any you find for your price range, in fact...
m
0
l
May 28, 2013 7:49:26 PM

Novuake said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Your options at 300$.

Now do you overclock?
Do you like physX?



So at the same price, the Sapphire card has 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 while the MSI card has 2GB 192-bit GDDR5. It seems like the Sapphire card is way better, so what am I missing that makes these two equal in price?

I have not overclocked a GPU before, but I am not against giving it a try, but that probably won't be any time soon.
And I have no personal experience with physX so I am neutral on that, but also willing to try it.
What are your thoughts on them?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a c 160 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 28, 2013 8:04:09 PM

alexandersc said:
Novuake said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Your options at 300$.

Now do you overclock?
Do you like physX?



So at the same price, the Sapphire card has 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 while the MSI card has 2GB 192-bit GDDR5. It seems like the Sapphire card is way better, so what am I missing that makes these two equal in price?

I have not overclocked a GPU before, but I am not against giving it a try, but that probably won't be any time soon.
And I have no personal experience with physX so I am neutral on that, but also willing to try it.
What are your thoughts on them?


Glad you asked. :D 
My opinion :
In this price segment AMD really has the better option.

HD7950 advantages.

1. Larger memory bus proves for better AA performance.
2. More VRAM allows for better larger than HD or multi monitor performance.
3. The HD7950 has MASSSIVE overclocking potential.
4. In all out performance they mostly trade blows but the AMD comes out slightly ahead under the same circumstances that does not clearly favour either card(lowish AA, one HD monitor, that sort of setup. Hipe this makes sense?)

GTX660ti advantages.

1. Quieter in general(this obviously depends on the cooler, but mostly this is true)
2. Smaller, easier to fit in small spaces.
3. When considering Dual-GPUs, SLI drivers are currently MUCH better than AMDs Crossfire Dual-GPU solution.
4. Lastly PhysX, this you will have to decide for yourself.
Example of PhysX : http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/physx/videos
A list of games with PhysX : http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/physx/games
As you can see there are not many but the effects can be quite nice. Keep in mind enabling PhysX can lower FPS in game substantially.

SO there you go, the whole HD7950/HD7870LE vs GTX660ti in one quick summary.
The GTX660ti is competing in a performance segment with the HD7870 XT/LE by the way.
Share
May 28, 2013 8:08:41 PM

Novuake we meet again, sorry to go off topic but hey how is that coolmaster 720w psu you got, I was looking at one and wanted to know if they are any good?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 160 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 28, 2013 8:11:28 PM

MrAcd said:
Novuake we meet again, sorry to go off topic but hey how is that coolmaster 720w psu you got, I was looking at one and wanted to know if they are any good?


I don't have a CM, I have a Corsair TX650 V2... LOL
m
0
l
May 28, 2013 8:11:42 PM

Novuake said:
alexandersc said:
Novuake said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Your options at 300$.

Now do you overclock?
Do you like physX?



So at the same price, the Sapphire card has 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 while the MSI card has 2GB 192-bit GDDR5. It seems like the Sapphire card is way better, so what am I missing that makes these two equal in price?

I have not overclocked a GPU before, but I am not against giving it a try, but that probably won't be any time soon.
And I have no personal experience with physX so I am neutral on that, but also willing to try it.
What are your thoughts on them?


Glad you asked. :D 
My opinion :
In this price segment AMD really has the better option.

HD7950 advantages.

1. Larger memory bus proves for better AA performance.
2. More VRAM allows for better larger than HD or multi monitor performance.
3. The HD7950 has MASSSIVE overclocking potential.
4. In all out performance they mostly trade blows but the AMD comes out slightly ahead under the same circumstances that does not clearly favour either card(lowish AA, one HD monitor, that sort of setup. Hipe this makes sense?)

GTX660ti advantages.

1. Quieter in general(this obviously depends on the cooler, but mostly this is true)
2. Smaller, easier to fit in small spaces.
3. When considering Dual-GPUs, SLI drivers are currently MUCH better than AMDs Crossfire Dual-GPU solution.
4. Lastly PhysX, this you will have to decide for yourself.
Example of PhysX : http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/physx/videos
A list of games with PhysX : http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/physx/games
As you can see there are not many but the effects can be quite nice. Keep in mind enabling PhysX can lower FPS in game substantially.

SO there you go, the whole HD7950/HD7870LE vs GTX660ti in one quick summary.
The GTX660ti is competing in a performance segment with the HD7870 XT/LE by the way.


That was a very detailed and easy to understand response, thank you.
One more question, how would you compare the video card you suggested (7950) with the one mentioned by crushice (7870) in terms of value and performance?
m
0
l
May 28, 2013 8:13:18 PM

MrAcd said:
Novuake we meet again, sorry to go off topic but hey how is that coolmaster 720w psu you got, I was looking at one and wanted to know if they are any good?


If your talking about my PSU, I must say that I love it. It makes no noise at all, it came with a great variety of cables to power everything and I have not once had any trouble with it. It does everything I can ask of it and I have no plans of upgrading it ANY time soon.
m
0
l
May 28, 2013 8:14:11 PM

Novuake said:
MrAcd said:
Novuake we meet again, sorry to go off topic but hey how is that coolmaster 720w psu you got, I was looking at one and wanted to know if they are any good?


I don't have a CM, I have a Corsair TX650 V2... LOL


no you haha, the alexandersc dude said he did and remember that was the one
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 160 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 28, 2013 8:15:08 PM

alexandersc said:
MrAcd said:
Novuake we meet again, sorry to go off topic but hey how is that coolmaster 720w psu you got, I was looking at one and wanted to know if they are any good?


If your talking about my PSU, I must say that I love it. It makes no noise at all, it came with a great variety of cables to power everything and I have not once had any trouble with it. It does everything I can ask of it and I have no plans of upgrading it ANY time soon.


Yeah you do not need to, that is not what he meant, think he is confused with one of our previous threads...
m
0
l
May 28, 2013 8:16:00 PM

alexandersc said:
MrAcd said:
Novuake we meet again, sorry to go off topic but hey how is that coolmaster 720w psu you got, I was looking at one and wanted to know if they are any good?


If your talking about my PSU, I must say that I love it. It makes no noise at all, it came with a great variety of cables to power everything and I have not once had any trouble with it. It does everything I can ask of it and I have no plans of upgrading it ANY time soon.


Thanks so much, I wanted that or a corsair TX650 V2 but I like that coolmaster better ( I wanted the modular and more amps on the 12v rail) is it good quality build like corsair
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 160 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 28, 2013 8:18:12 PM

MrAcd said:
alexandersc said:
MrAcd said:
Novuake we meet again, sorry to go off topic but hey how is that coolmaster 720w psu you got, I was looking at one and wanted to know if they are any good?


If your talking about my PSU, I must say that I love it. It makes no noise at all, it came with a great variety of cables to power everything and I have not once had any trouble with it. It does everything I can ask of it and I have no plans of upgrading it ANY time soon.


Thanks so much, I wanted that or a corsair TX650 V2 but I like that coolmaster better ( I wanted the modular and more amps on the 12v rail) is it good quality build like corsair


Dude, LOL we have that discussion before! I am the one that said that if the modular is worth 10$ to you, then get the Coolermaster. BUT I am glad you got your answer.
m
0
l
May 28, 2013 8:18:17 PM

MrAcd said:
alexandersc said:
MrAcd said:
Novuake we meet again, sorry to go off topic but hey how is that coolmaster 720w psu you got, I was looking at one and wanted to know if they are any good?


If your talking about my PSU, I must say that I love it. It makes no noise at all, it came with a great variety of cables to power everything and I have not once had any trouble with it. It does everything I can ask of it and I have no plans of upgrading it ANY time soon.


Thanks so much, I wanted that or a corsair TX650 V2 but I like that coolmaster better ( I wanted the modular and more amps on the 12v rail) is it good quality build like corsair


I personally prefer Cooler Master, but Corsair is also a great brand, with either of those brands you'll get great quality.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 160 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 28, 2013 8:20:56 PM

alexandersc said:

I personally prefer Cooler Master, but Corsair is also a great brand, with either of those brands you'll get great quality.


Coolermaster Extreme and GS series is soooo crappy though.
m
0
l
May 28, 2013 8:21:38 PM

Novuake said:
MrAcd said:
alexandersc said:
MrAcd said:
Novuake we meet again, sorry to go off topic but hey how is that coolmaster 720w psu you got, I was looking at one and wanted to know if they are any good?


If your talking about my PSU, I must say that I love it. It makes no noise at all, it came with a great variety of cables to power everything and I have not once had any trouble with it. It does everything I can ask of it and I have no plans of upgrading it ANY time soon.


Thanks so much, I wanted that or a corsair TX650 V2 but I like that coolmaster better ( I wanted the modular and more amps on the 12v rail) is it good quality build like corsair


Dude, LOL we have that discussion before! I am the one that said that if the modular is worth 10$ to you, then get the Coolermaster. BUT I am glad you got your answer.


haha I know that's why I said we meet again, but yeah thanks alex I like that psu , you guys can continue the thread sorry to go side track, but if I were you go for the 7950, because like novuaka said if you like OC this is a great card and go past the 660 ti performance when OCed
m
0
l
May 28, 2013 8:22:21 PM

Novuake said:
alexandersc said:

I personally prefer Cooler Master, but Corsair is also a great brand, with either of those brands you'll get great quality.


Coolermaster Extreme and GS series is soooo crappy though.


I Heard that's why I tried to avoid them
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 160 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 29, 2013 3:30:05 PM

OH SORRY!!!
LOL the HD7870 XT/LE is close in performance to the HD7950 and is much cheaper, HOWEVER, it can not overclock NEAR as well and is a bit of an oddball. Good choice too if you wanna save some!
m
0
l
May 29, 2013 3:33:24 PM

Novuake said:
OH SORRY!!!
LOL the HD7870 XT/LE is close in performance to the HD7950 and is much cheaper, HOWEVER, it can not overclock NEAR as well and is a bit of an oddball. Good choice too if you wanna save some!

Haha its okay, you and the other guy seemed a little distracted by the PSU issues. Anyways, I don't think I will overclock. At least not this point in life, maybe in the future with a better rig.
m
0
l
!