Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will a 7870 fit inside my case? If not what sub £30 case should I get?

Last response: in Systems
May 29, 2013 3:20:44 AM

I'm ordering a 7870 le from vtx today: http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/VTX3... but I have to wait until I know if it will fit. The cards approx dimensions are 266.65mmx111.2mmx38mm and my rig:
-Cit vantage case
-Asus m5a78l-m/usb3
-Amd fx 8120
-750w CIT psu (top mounted)
-1tb harddrive
-560 se, 3 inches shorter than the 7870.
-8GB ram
-Cables could need a move-around.

If not, which sub £30 case should I be looking at?

Best solution

May 29, 2013 3:26:02 AM

at first glance, it looks like it should fit in that case
Related resources
June 26, 2013 9:50:52 PM

LordPlanketh said:
I'm ordering a 7870 le from vtx today: http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/VTX3... but I have to wait until I know if it will fit. The cards approx dimensions are 266.65mmx111.2mmx38mm and my rig:
-Cit vantage case
-Asus m5a78l-m/usb3
-Amd fx 8120
-750w CIT psu (top mounted)
-1tb harddrive
-560 se, 3 inches shorter than the 7870.
-8GB ram
-Cables could need a move-around.

If not, which sub £30 case should I be looking at?

I'm actually considering this case/card combo, and I'm wondering the EXACT SAME THING. So, does the card fit length and widthwise in the case? That's my main concern because I've seen people talking about how the card *just* barely fit, and I'm worried that I'll have to send one or the other back because of size restraints.
m
l
July 11, 2013 4:58:43 AM

The CiT Vantage has removeable HDD bays - therefore you can fit a full size GPU in, at the cost of losing some HDD bays.

Personally i'd worry more about airflow & heat in that case.

I considered this for a recent build and ended up going for a Corsair Carbide 300r - it has space for extra 140mm fans and you can fit whatever GPU you like. Also it has a bottom mounted PSU so the fan on the bottom of the PSU isn't pulling in hot air from your case. The Carbide 300r is a little more pricey though.

Another good case to look at is the Zalman Z9 Plus or U3 - I recently used one of these in a build with a 7870 XT - card fits perfectly and the temps are cool. Plus it has epic blue LED fans ;) 

Also, the Z9 will cost less than the 300R.

Update: I've just seen your choice of PSU - don't cheap out on a CiT PSU - i'd rather have a CiT Vantage Case with a decent PSU like SeaSonic or Corsair TX than a better case with a CiT PSU.
m
l
!