I need help getting my old hard drive to work with my new pc

Hi, i just put together my new pc using my old hard drive but i have a problem. It doesn't boot. Now i have read the other thread as to why; windows won't recognise the new hardware because it wasn't installed with it.

So i need step by step instructions on how to wipe my old hard drive so it is ready to put in my new pc. On another note. I don't have a boxed copy of windows 7 as it was preinstalled with my old pc. Will this be a problem. I am also running 64 bit windows 7 home premium. Please give my instructions. I can't afford to fork out £120 for a new copy of windows and a new hard drive.

Thankyou
8 answers Last reply
More about hard drive work
  1. so, you have an OEM copy of windows 7. You can't use it on the new pc.
  2. rgd1101 said:
    so, you have an OEM copy of windows 7. You can't use it on the new pc.


    Damn it, anyway, i have a disk with umbuntu right next to me, what can i do just to get my computer to run to desktop using that. Would simply putting the disk in with the new hard drive override windows and start the umbuntu install?
  3. ryand88 said:
    rgd1101 said:
    so, you have an OEM copy of windows 7. You can't use it on the new pc.


    Damn it, anyway, i have a disk with umbuntu right next to me, what can i do just to get my computer to run to desktop using that. Would simply putting the disk in with the new hard drive override windows and start the umbuntu install?


    Yes, that will work. Ensure the DVD is first in the boot order in the BIOS.
  4. Although I don't recommend reusing hard disks, it looks like you don't have a choice. Your best bet is to erase the disk and reinstall unbuntu with the drivers for your hardware.
  5. maestro0428 said:
    Although I don't recommend reusing hard disks, it looks like you don't have a choice. Your best bet is to erase the disk and reinstall unbuntu with the drivers for your hardware.


    Ok. but how do i erase the hard disk completely?
  6. ryand88 said:
    maestro0428 said:
    Although I don't recommend reusing hard disks, it looks like you don't have a choice. Your best bet is to erase the disk and reinstall unbuntu with the drivers for your hardware.


    Ok. but how do i erase the hard disk completely?



    During the Ubuntu install. It will give you the option of what existing partition(s) to use, or delete any existing partitions.

    Delete all of them, merge into one big unallocated space. Let Ubuntu create what it needs.
    Have you ever used Ubuntu?
  7. USAFRet said:
    ryand88 said:
    maestro0428 said:
    Although I don't recommend reusing hard disks, it looks like you don't have a choice. Your best bet is to erase the disk and reinstall unbuntu with the drivers for your hardware.


    Ok. but how do i erase the hard disk completely?



    During the Ubuntu install. It will give you the option of what existing partition(s) to use, or delete any existing partitions.

    Delete all of them, merge into one big unallocated space. Let Ubuntu create what it needs.
    Have you ever used Ubuntu?


    No i have not but i know of it and right now its free and i need free. Besides i hear it better than windows and as there are programs that let you run windows games in linux so im fine with it
  8. ryand88 said:
    USAFRet said:
    ryand88 said:
    maestro0428 said:
    Although I don't recommend reusing hard disks, it looks like you don't have a choice. Your best bet is to erase the disk and reinstall unbuntu with the drivers for your hardware.


    Ok. but how do i erase the hard disk completely?



    During the Ubuntu install. It will give you the option of what existing partition(s) to use, or delete any existing partitions.

    Delete all of them, merge into one big unallocated space. Let Ubuntu create what it needs.
    Have you ever used Ubuntu?


    No i have not but i know of it and right now its free and i need free. Besides i hear it better than windows and as there are programs that let you run windows games in linux so im fine with it



    It's not necessarily better or worse, just different. And if this is primarily a Windows games machine, your experience won't be as seamless as you probably want.
    Not all Windows games will run under WINE.

    But, it's free and worth a try.
Ask a new question