Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

is a dedicated graphics card any better than an integrated one of the same series?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 29, 2013 7:30:50 AM

Hi Everybody,

BACKGROUND
Okay, I was kind of stupid here. I thought I would upgrade my 3 year old PC by giving it a dedicated graphics card as it sometimes struggles with videos and multitasking over two monitors.

As I don't do much (well, any) gaming on it I thought I would get a cheap £30 ASUS AMD Radeon as my motherboard and screen are ASUS too. However, it turns out I have bought a graphics card of exactly the same series as what is integrated, a Radeon HD5450.

QUESTION
Is there any performance advantage of using the dedicated card over the integrated one with the same series number and is it possible to have one screen on each card (it appears to have switched the integrated graphics off)?

Thanks,
Rob

Edit:
I see the other posts include a screenshot of GPU-Z, so here's one of my card.


Oddly, it only shows the dedicated card, not the integrated one. Is it a conflict?
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2013 7:35:48 AM

You probably won't see a change. Yes, you can run one screen off of each gpu, but you can run two off of the dedicated card too. If you can return it for a different upgrade. What are your hardware specs? A cpu or memory addition may help more.
May 29, 2013 7:37:06 AM

Dedicated graphics cards are superior in almost every aspect. They are a must for any real video editing . They take much offf the graphics work off the CPU, leaving the CPU to do other things.

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2013 7:38:31 AM

That is a good question I don't really have an answer for, but I will give it a try from what I know.

I think it may have something to do with dedicated video memory perhaps. If you don't game then I don't think you would really need one. They have a program out called Lucid or something that ties the dedicated and on-die video together for better performance, don't know too much about it though.
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2013 7:42:02 AM

hijaxhfx said:
Dedicated graphics cards are superior in almost every aspect. They are a must for any real video editing . They take much offf the graphics work off the CPU, leaving the CPU to do other things.



Would an on-die video do the same thing?
May 29, 2013 7:48:42 AM

Not sure, i have not heard of that software. but i would stick just to a dedicated card without using any integrated at all.
May 29, 2013 7:49:07 AM

maestro0428 said:
You probably won't see a change. Yes, you can run one screen off of each gpu, but you can run two off of the dedicated card too. If you can return it for a different upgrade. What are your hardware specs? A cpu or memory addition may help more.


Well an AMD Phenom II x2 550 BE with 4GB DDR3 RAM. I find I rarely am using more than 60% RAM...

Unfortunately it is a bit late to return it (a couple of weeks)...




Thanks
a c 119 U Graphics card
May 29, 2013 7:53:23 AM

You'l find that the dedicated card would be better than the integrated even though its the same GPU, the dedicated card has its own GDDR3 memory while integrated would be using some small amount of your system DDR3 memory.
Basically it has more and faster VRAM. Integrated graphics use portions of system memory to act as VRAM, which is why you get significant performance advantages with getting faster RAM with APU systems.
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 29, 2013 7:59:47 AM

While this dedicated card may be better than the integrated one, it is still not a gaming card. It is as weak as they come.
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2013 8:12:01 AM

manofchalk said:
You'l find that the dedicated card would be better than the integrated even though its the same GPU, the dedicated card has its own GDDR3 memory while integrated would be using some small amount of your system DDR3 memory.
Basically it has more and faster VRAM. Integrated graphics use portions of system memory to act as VRAM, which is why you get significant performance advantages with getting faster RAM with APU systems.


This is exactly what I thought the advantage would be, the dedicated memory vs. shared main memory...
But the GPU itself, the die should be the same in all other respects. Also just thought about cooling, should be able to keep a card cooler than on-die GPU perhaps....
a c 154 U Graphics card
May 29, 2013 9:32:43 AM

The mobo has the hd 4200 which is not the same gpu as the 5450 which is a bit better.

Also virtu does not combine the power of discrete and igpu.
!