i7 920 running hot at 3.2ghz, OC question

Wes Danhof

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Hey guys,

So I decided to OC my LGA1366 i7 920 to around 3.2ghz the other day and it seems to be running slightly hot. The comp was originally a Dell XPS 730x but BIOS support for them ended a while ago. Alienware's Area-51 uses the same mobo, so with some initially flash modding I updated it to the A10 update. After this initial switch you can just flash directly from Alienware's driver site, so I'm currently running their latest BIOS A11 which added some addition RAM support, XMP, etc.

On Prime95 running the large FFT test Im getting around 71ish Celsius (give or take 2 degrees depending) max temps according to RealTemp. According to CPU-Z the core voltage is only around 1.2v which does not seem to be too bad. I bumped the IOH voltage from 1.10 (lowest setting and default) to 1.15v and I jumped the QPI/Uncore up 0.040 from "default." My RAM is on auto since it doesnt seem to like me setting it at the default 1.50v. Since the BIOS update it's ran slightly hotter but I also swapped my 6gb 1066mhz RAM to a new set of Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz at 12gbs.

Does this seem hot to anyone else? I know that large FFT is the highest power draw and heat and I have heard some speculation on RealTemps accuracy. Running ARMA 3 it'll max heat around 68ish degress C.

CPU multiplier: 20x160mhz
Idle temp is around 38-40c
RAM multiplier: 160x10

Thanks

Solution
Those temps under full load do not seem that bad although with a better aftermarket cooler you could probably lower them considerably. I hit between 70 - 74 on all cores on a 3+ hour blend test with a h70 cooler and 4.2ghz overclock on a i7 930 so with your 3.2ghz your temps should be a little lower but as others said it could be your TIM that needs reapplying or could just be that the cooler is not that great for overclocking. I would try reapplying the TIM and then trying again and see if it has dropped your temps. If not then look into a decent aftermarket cooler as it will give you the option of keeping your system cooler at its current overclock whilst offering the possibility of higher overclock in the future should you want to.

Wes Danhof

Honorable
May 30, 2013

That I'm not sure of, on my old BIOS I felt like I was more in the mid 60's OC'd. But I could be wrong. Do you think I should turn it back down for the time being? I've read around that mid 60's-70 isnt that extreme for the 920's on 100% load.

I'd like to pick up one of the original Dell H2C liquid systems off eBay but we'll see

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Those temps under full load do not seem that bad although with a better aftermarket cooler you could probably lower them considerably. I hit between 70 - 74 on all cores on a 3+ hour blend test with a h70 cooler and 4.2ghz overclock on a i7 930 so with your 3.2ghz your temps should be a little lower but as others said it could be your TIM that needs reapplying or could just be that the cooler is not that great for overclocking. I would try reapplying the TIM and then trying again and see if it has dropped your temps. If not then look into a decent aftermarket cooler as it will give you the option of keeping your system cooler at its current overclock whilst offering the possibility of higher overclock in the future should you want to.

Solution

fyulonius

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Here's my specs/test

My specs:

cpu; i7 920
MOBO; EVGA 131GT e 767
RAM: Gskills 6X2GB, 9-9-9-24 1600@1.5-1.6v
Video: Nvidia GTX 470

Stress test Temps:
Initial test= 59-63 Celsius
OC Test= 67-73 Celsius

OC @3.6GHz:
173x20
Turbo on=3.6GHz
HT on
CPU Volt=1.285

I'll give you an update on this, i'll have to go home and check my settings.