Best 7970 Card?

SubinP

Honorable
May 26, 2013
I want to know what the best 7970 card is.
Sapphire, MSI, HIS, ASUS?
In terms of best, I mean overclocking/cooling capability.

If you could find it, I believe that the fastest ever was the ASUS Matrix-P 7970 GHz Edition. That said, it was also overpriced as all hell. The best 7970s are generally considered to be the Gigabyte Windforce x3, the Sapphire Vapor-x, and the (now expensive/hard to find) MSI Lightning and ASUS Matrix.

Edit: Worthy of note, one of those (the Vapor-X) is a GHz Edition, and the Gigabyte has a GHz Edition variant. The Matrix (non-P) and the Lightning are normal 7970s.

I have a "normal" Gigabyte WF3 model. Overclocked to 1130MHz (I haven't tried to go higher), it's been mining 24/7 for a few weeks now. It's in an open case, so I can hear it when I'm near it, but the tone and volume are not unpleasant. It stays under 70C, and that's even though it is typically running at 98%.

CrushIce

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Best in terms of OC'ing and Cooling would be either:

His Iceq x2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161412

Sapphire Dual-X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

These are the normal 7970's, honestly it's not worth the extra $50 to get a few extra Mhz of OC which most 7970's can already do with minimal effort. The reason why these cards are good is because these are known not to be voltage locked. That means you can achieve higher clocks without being limited to the stock voltage. Obviously YMMV when buying any card and OC'ing it, but most 7970's a known to OC really well.

I seem to recal HardOCP did a roundup of them. The HIS cooler actually had difficulty at higher clocks, becoming rather loud. I don't recall for the Sapphire. Iirc, either Asus or the Gigabyte were quietest. They had audio clips of them too.

CrushIce

Honorable
May 15, 2012

I don't remember reading anything at all about an HIS card struggling with OC's. Sound may be another factor like some cards, there might be coil whine. If you can post a link of that test, I would very much like to read it.

CrushIce

Honorable
May 15, 2012

Yeah, for most aftermarket cooler there is a problem with coil whine. The HIS model does get it, but not all cards do. It's usually more prominent at higher fan speeds. The same could be said for other manufacturers.