Help 1,000$ US Gaming PC/Laptop

ch4k1

Honorable
May 24, 2013
Hello, so I have been thinking of buying a gaming laptop, I have one in mind, not sure if it sucks or what ever. Well i'll leave the link here so you can take a look at it:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideapad-08623TU-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B006M9ZW0Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1369967145&sr=1-1&keywords=ideapad+Y500

But that is why I am here, I trust you guys :)

The thing is need some help choosing a good laptop that can run pretty much everything in high settings like WoW, GW2, maybe BF3 and stuff like that. With like a good processor(maybe i7), graphics card, memory ram etc..
It also should come with Windows 7, because I heard Windows 8 is not good for gaming.
My budget is around 1,000$ US but if it's cheaper than that i'll be very happy haha!

I am looking forward for it to be on Amazon, since that is where I usually get stuff from and gets easier for me.

Waiting for your answers! thank you!

Solution

That laptop has decent specs; it's a little dated, though, and I'm not surprised to see customer reviews complaining about overheating, because that's a common problem among so-called desktop-replacement laptops. (High-end parts + tiny little chassis = lots of thermal stress on components over time, even if they don't technically overheat at any given moment.)

Personally, given your price range, I'd buy a desktop...

ch4k1

Honorable
May 24, 2013

Hmm I'm not that great at computers, is there any other good Gaming Laptop with similar stuff like the one you just mentioned above? I really need it ASAP :( can't want lolol

I saw on forums that 750 is better than 650m but it's not worth the couple hundreds o_O?

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

That laptop has decent specs; it's a little dated, though, and I'm not surprised to see customer reviews complaining about overheating, because that's a common problem among so-called desktop-replacement laptops. (High-end parts + tiny little chassis = lots of thermal stress on components over time, even if they don't technically overheat at any given moment.)

Personally, given your price range, I'd buy a desktop. And maybe a cheapo netbook-type thing for portable work if you really need that. The sort of laptop you describe is only portable in the most literal sense of the word: you can carry it from place to place, but it'll likely be a pain to use on the go, and you can forget about any kind of useful battery life while gaming.

Most of all though, beware of buying used laptops with dated hardware. The problem with laptops isn't just that they're nearly impossible to upgrade. The problem is that replacing broken components a couple years later can be prohibitively expensive. Witness the guy in the Amazon guy who wrote, "Motherboard - dead, price for new motherboard - $920."

He ain't kidding, in my experience. What happens is this: the motherboard model is no longer manufactured, because it's out of date. So the supply of them naturally dwindles. But on the laptop market, the demand for components remains artificially high, because the owners of a particular laptop can only use a particular model of component for repair/replacement. So prices skyrocket.

On the desktop market, that (generally) doesn't happen, because if a desktop component dies, you have an almost limitless range of replacement options. Desktop video card from three years ago died? No problem -- toss in a reasonably priced current-generation card. Older desktop components lose their value because no one needs them after they stop being produced.

Sorry for rambling. Please do consider just how much you need portability, though, and please get back to us with your expectations for this laptop.

Solution

ch4k1

Honorable
May 24, 2013

I agree with you, will go with desktop

Thanks.