Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No display or signal, no beeps on computer start up. Everything else works

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 31, 2013 12:10:07 PM

Built the computer in December, after the worked great for 3 months. Turned the computer off, woke up turned back on and Everything started up, however no display on my monitor. I noticed there were no beeps as the computer started up. I thought it was the video card, I called the manufacturer and they replaced video card (msi Hd radeon 7970). Finally received my replacement video card yesterday. Installed it and now the same problem. No display, no beeps. Every works correctly, all lights on motherboard, fans all spinning, video card turns on, and all drives startup. But just no display. Please anyone, help! Very frustrating!
a b U Graphics card
a c 554 V Motherboard
May 31, 2013 12:39:28 PM

Hi, What motherboard? Try starting the board with only CPU and CPU fan installed. If there's a case speaker connected, you should get the beeps signaling that there are no RAMs installed.
Is the CPU fan spinning when starting the board?
May 31, 2013 12:53:38 PM

After doing what was previously mentioned, trying sticking one (1) RAM stick in. It sounds like the RAM may be bad. Have you tried resetting the CMOS after you replace your video card?
Related resources
May 31, 2013 12:55:01 PM

alexoiu said:
Hi, What motherboard? Try starting the board with only CPU and CPU fan installed. If there's a case speaker connected, you should get the beeps signaling that there are no RAMs installed.
Is the CPU fan spinning when starting the board?


Msi 970A-G46 amd 9 series motherboard. All fans and lights are working. It strange, it was working one night, next morning not.
May 31, 2013 12:58:09 PM

jayambroziak said:
After doing what was previously mentioned, trying sticking one (1) RAM stick in. It sounds like the RAM may be bad. Have you tried resetting the CMOS after you replace your video card?


I haven't done this yet. However, I will do once I get back home.
May 31, 2013 1:00:06 PM

Let us know how it goes.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 31, 2013 1:28:20 PM

tdizzil said:
Built the computer in December, after the worked great for 3 months. Turned the computer off, woke up turned back on and Everything started up, however no display on my monitor. I noticed there were no beeps as the computer started up. I thought it was the video card, I called the manufacturer and they replaced video card (msi Hd radeon 7970). Finally received my replacement video card yesterday. Installed it and now the same problem. No display, no beeps. Every works correctly, all lights on motherboard, fans all spinning, video card turns on, and all drives startup. But just no display. Please anyone, help! Very frustrating!


jayambroziak said:
After doing what was previously mentioned, trying sticking one (1) RAM stick in. It sounds like the RAM may be bad. Have you tried resetting the CMOS after you replace your video card?


Quote:
Msi 970A-G46 amd 9 series motherboard. All fans and lights are working. It strange, it was working one night, next morning not.


I have the same motherboard, and it died on me, lets hope its not that. From what I was told, it was the VRMs.
Before it died, it did the same thing, had to reset the BIOS and it worked for a few months. What CPU is on it? Also, are you OCing that chip? If you are, the board has a habit of failing due to the cheap VRMs.
May 31, 2013 1:50:29 PM

DComander1x said:
tdizzil said:
Built the computer in December, after the worked great for 3 months. Turned the computer off, woke up turned back on and Everything started up, however no display on my monitor. I noticed there were no beeps as the computer started up. I thought it was the video card, I called the manufacturer and they replaced video card (msi Hd radeon 7970). Finally received my replacement video card yesterday. Installed it and now the same problem. No display, no beeps. Every works correctly, all lights on motherboard, fans all spinning, video card turns on, and all drives startup. But just no display. Please anyone, help! Very frustrating!




jayambroziak said:
After doing what was previously mentioned, trying sticking one (1) RAM stick in. It sounds like the RAM may be bad. Have you tried resetting the CMOS after you replace your video card?


Quote:
Msi 970A-G46 amd 9 series motherboard. All fans and lights are working. It strange, it was working one night, next morning not.


I have the same motherboard, and it died on me, lets hope its not that. From what I was told, it was the VRMs.
Before it died, it did the same thing, had to reset the BIOS and it worked for a few months. What CPU is on it? Also, are you OCing that chip? If you are, the board has a habit of failing due to the cheap VRMs.


Amd fx-8150, 8 core. I haven't reset the bios and I don't OC
a c 187 U Graphics card
a c 431 V Motherboard
May 31, 2013 1:50:48 PM

Try another ps the power good leg may have failed. If it did your system will power the fans but not post.
May 31, 2013 1:53:26 PM

smorizio said:
Try another ps the power good leg may have failed. If it did your system will power the fans but not post.


I'm currently using a 750 watt PS, I don't have another with more or the same watts handy.
June 1, 2013 11:24:14 PM

Thank you all. I found the solution. It was one of my 8gb kingston memory sticks that was bad. Everything works perfectly now. Thank all you for the support and great answers.
June 2, 2013 8:29:38 AM

Glad we could help! :D 
Related resources
!