7870 and i7 HD4000 - fatal driver conflict - want to use Lucid Virtu MVP

vacip

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2013
Hi!
(I think) I have fatal driver conflict between 7870 and I7 3770 integrated graphics. I want to enable both to be able to use Lucid Virtu MVP.

What happened:
New system, clean windows install. Gigabyte Radeon 7870's driver was installed. When I have enabled the integrated GPU in the bios, Windows tried installing, and gave an error. It said something about an unsigned or corrupted driver.
After many hours and restarts, some BSODs etc, I found that setting the integrated HD4000 as primary in the bios and disabling 7870 in device manager, I was able to install the driver. After having both drivers properly installed and enabled, I got instant BSOD, and windows couldn't start (PC restart after windows logo, before Welcome screen).
Safe mode works fine, and if I disable integrated GPU in device manager, PC works fine (no safe mode needed anymore). As soon as I enable the integrated GPU from device manager, I get BSOD. (Instant. After restart, integrated GPU is disabled, as was before BSOD.)

Both drivers are the latest from manufacturer's website.

Do I have a chance of using Lucid Virtu, or these graphics hardware will never be able to play nice and work together? Do I even need to install the driver for the integrated GPU to use Lucid Virtu?

Thanks for the help, guys!

Specs:
Win7 64 Ultimate (legal, btw)
i7 3770
Intel DH77EB mobo
Gigabyte 7870 OC (GV-R787OC-2GD)
FSP Raider 650W
8 GB KINGSTON DDR3 1600MHz RAM
Samsung 120GB SSD
Some 1 TB Hdd
Some DVD thingie
Cooler Master HAF 912 case

How about this?

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/switchable-graphics/Pages/switchable-graphics.aspx

This is the only instance I know of when both video devices were active. And even that is not at the same time.
Actually, it is not possible to have both cards active at the same time. That would just conflict and you would get no results. There is nothing which requires two video cards at the same time (Except Crossfire and SLI)

However if you want you can try Crossfire. That should improve results dramatically but would require another HD 7870. ;)

Integrated and dedicated cards never work at the same time and if needed, they switch depending on application and circumstances.

vacip

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2013

Thank you for the reply!
To my understanding, Lucid Virtu does kind of the same as the AMD Switchable you have mentioned. It actively switches between integrated and discrete GPU depending on the usage. It also delivers some neat tweaks (Hyperformance - performance bost, Virtual Vsync - vsync with minimal FPS drop).
As far as I know, to be able to use Lucid Virtu, I need to have both graphic chips enabled, and both need to have an up-to-date driver. I don't want them to be active at the same time.
You say it is impossible to have them both enabled at the same time?

Another thing I have noticed is if I set the i-GPU to be the primary, windows boots all right, but ATI Catalyst keeps crying... Maybe this is the way to go?

vacip

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.
I have followed the steps (not these, similar ones from Intel's manual), but no luck.

Seems though that if I set the integrated GPU to be the primary in bios, the system is able to boot, but Catalyst control centre keeps yelling at me... Also, this setting is good if I want the Lucid Virtu -i option, which saves power consumption. I'd like the -d option, which improves performance, and for that to work, I'd need to set the discrete GPU to be the primary. Or am I wrong here?
Should I just uninstall Catalyst?

Maybe I'll just give up, and hope someday Intel might answer my e-mail about the topic...