Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is it worth upgrading my CPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 31, 2013 2:12:11 PM

Question: will I gain more fps and get rid of the drops if I upgrade and overclock the cpu?

planning on getting the z87 and i7 4770k once its out

Hey
I had just noticed while running perf overlay in bf3 cpu (yellow) was higher max than the gpu (green)

does the i7 3770(non k) 3.4 ghz limit the nvidia titan?
ive been getting bad fps drops when rendering large city areas in games would this be a factor?

thinking of upgrading to the haswell i7 4770k and a z87 motherboard down the road. would this fix it?


also is there another way I can test to see if my cpu is bottlenecking?
it seems as though the gpu runs 89-98% while playing (usually upper 90's) and the cpu its hard to tell but looks like 60+%

http://imageshack.us/f/849/bf3test.png/ [imageshack.us]

hey guys here is the pic, this is on top of the hotel with 48 players (64 players makes it drop even more fps)

the picture seems really small


it reads:
cpu: 17.04 avg: 18.28 min:10.02 Max: 36.35
GPU: 17.42 avg:17.47 min: 13.02 Max: 28.21

this is about 3 min of Gameplay as well


sometimes the cpu spikes much higher, but usually its always above the gpu (the gpu may go 1.00 max over the cpu for a second every 5-10 min)



also this one:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/bf3test1.png/ [imageshack.us]

CPU: 6.38 avg: 10.61 min: 4.6 Max 41.12
GPU: 7.48 avg: 9.99 min: 3.66 Max: 14.88

it was as I was dying/ the spawn screen

More about : worth upgrading cpu

May 31, 2013 2:21:10 PM

It's not worth to upgrade to 4770K if you have 3570K or 3770K. Keep your money and no your CPU is not bottle necking your GPU. Overclock your CPU and disable the sleep states in your bios.
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 2:23:17 PM

If you have a 3770, I don't think you should upgrade. The 4770K will probably only be about 10% better than the 3770. THe only advantage is that you can overclock your CPU.

If you can sell the CPU and Motherboard for a good price, then upgrade. But if not, it shouldn't bottleneck your CPU. Remember, a 3570K doesn't even bottleneck a 690.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 31, 2013 2:25:14 PM

hero1: what is disabling the sleep states?

mastrom: do you know what could be causing the giant fps drops? (as it seems the cpu is limiting the gpu on these tests)
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 2:27:59 PM

GregJA said:
hero1: what is disabling the sleep states?

mastrom: do you know what could be causing the giant fps drops? (as it seems the cpu is limiting the gpu on these tests)


I have the C1-C6 in the bios are settings that throttle your CPU due to heat or when it detects that the CPU is not being used much. So I have mine disabled. That should help make your CPU run 100% during gaming when you need it.

Also what is your system setup, motherboard wise so I can tell you where to go and do that unless you want to leave it the way it is.
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 2:28:58 PM

its an h77 which i believe I cant alter anything with the cpu
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 2:30:53 PM

GregJA said:
its an h77 which i believe I cant alter anything with the cpu


OK. Time you get a better, game oriented board.
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 2:31:47 PM

yeh thats why i was thinking of just getting the new board with a new overclockable processor. im just not sure if the performance will be worth the upgrade
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 2:33:01 PM

It is hard to find BF3 multiplayer benchmarks that are valid.
There is no way to rerun them exactly.
But, it seems that in multiplayer, the cpu and number of threads is really important.

One way I can think of to test the potential benefit of a cpu change would be to reduce your current cpu capability and see how you do. You could deactivate one of your cores.

Or.. in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.


Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 2:33:34 PM

GregJA said:
yeh thats why i was thinking of just getting the new board with a new overclockable processor. im just not sure if the performance will be worth the upgrade


Get a new board for the same processor and you can OC it. You have a high end CPU and GPU yet your board is mediocre. Grab a Z77X-UD4H or Z77A-GD45 and go from there!
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 2:33:47 PM

C states do not throttle your cpu per se, they are just the different states the cpu can be in. Your cpu will still throttle from heat.
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 2:34:40 PM

GregJA said:
its an h77 which i believe I cant alter anything with the cpu


It might be the CPU. You really should've gotten a z77 with a K CPU.

I would try upgrading the GPU bios first, just in case.
Next, what are your CPU temps? If you're computer is too hot then you CPU may be throttled. You probably don't have an aftermarket cooler, so try to monitor the temps.
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 2:35:20 PM

hero1 said:
GregJA said:
yeh thats why i was thinking of just getting the new board with a new overclockable processor. im just not sure if the performance will be worth the upgrade


Get a new board for the same processor and you can OC it. You have a high end CPU and GPU yet your board is mediocre. Grab a Z77X-UD4H or Z77A-GD45 and go from there!


He has a 3770
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 2:35:42 PM

k1114 said:
C states do not throttle your cpu per se, they are just the different states the cpu can be in. Your cpu will still throttle from heat.


I think his board is not giving him the full potential for his CPU. He needs to change that board for sure. C states do decrees the speed of CPU so in a sense that is throttling and especially if it the system detects too much heat or less use of CPU.
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 2:36:58 PM

mastrom101 said:
hero1 said:
GregJA said:
yeh thats why i was thinking of just getting the new board with a new overclockable processor. im just not sure if the performance will be worth the upgrade


Get a new board for the same processor and you can OC it. You have a high end CPU and GPU yet your board is mediocre. Grab a Z77X-UD4H or Z77A-GD45 and go from there!


He has a 3770


Aghh. Thanks man, I just read that wrong. Dang it! Now I think you should get rid of that CPU when Haswell launches and get the 4770K and a mid-high end board.
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 2:41:01 PM

geofelt said:
It is hard to find BF3 multiplayer benchmarks that are valid.
There is no way to rerun them exactly.
But, it seems that in multiplayer, the cpu and number of threads is really important.

One way I can think of to test the potential benefit of a cpu change would be to reduce your current cpu capability and see how you do. You could deactivate one of your cores.

Or.. in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.


Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.



ok i set it to 50% and my fps dramatically dropped (went as low as 30) and the spikes in the cpu and gpu went way up.

what does this tell me?
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 2:42:58 PM

yes its just a 3770 so i think it will be beneficial.. I hope


upgrade gpu bios?
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 3:35:22 PM

GregJA said:
yes its just a 3770 so i think it will be beneficial.. I hope


upgrade gpu bios?


Sorry, I meant drivers.

Check your temps before you buy a new CPU/Motherboard. A simple CPU cooler could fix your problems.
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 3:39:01 PM

Runs upper 50s to low 60s degrees I've also turned off hyper threading and it has helped with the smoothness as well.

I still think that the titan though should definitely be above 60fps at all times so it must be the cpu
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 3:44:14 PM

Full specs?
How much system ram do you have?
What video card are u using?
What specs are u running bf3 on? Don't forget BF3 uses more than 1gb vram so if u have your settings maxed out and your video card only has 1gb vram, the lack of vram will cause massive slowing. Lower your texture quality to high and that should help. Also u can use msi afterburner in game and see if it slows when more vram is being used. U shouldn't be having that big of a drop in game. I have an old q6600 at 3.2ghz w/ 4gb ddr2 and a gtx 660 2gb, and it runs bf3 quite well w/ max settings w/o a massive drops in fps.
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 3:46:56 PM

Nvidia titan 320.18
16 gb RAM
i7 3770 3.4GHz
Windows 8 64-bit
850w c2 cool master silent pro psu
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 4:19:35 PM

hero1 said:
k1114 said:
C states do not throttle your cpu per se, they are just the different states the cpu can be in. Your cpu will still throttle from heat.


I think his board is not giving him the full potential for his CPU. He needs to change that board for sure. C states do decrees the speed of CPU so in a sense that is throttling and especially if it the system detects too much heat or less use of CPU.


Yes, it will drop down when not being used. It will ramp up when necessary. It's not going to throttle when playing games because of C-states being enabled. Also, C-states are unrelated to throttling due to heat.
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 6:33:06 PM

How much of an fps boost is an i7 3770 3.4ghz vs an i7 3770k oc to 4.5ghz
m
0
l
June 1, 2013 5:38:47 AM

GregJA said:
Runs upper 50s to low 60s degrees I've also turned off hyper threading and it has helped with the smoothness as well.

I still think that the titan though should definitely be above 60fps at all times so it must be the cpu


I think you may need to overclock your CPU, although you're looking at an over $500 upgrade to your current system for marginally better CPU performance.
m
0
l
June 1, 2013 5:45:35 AM

Yeah I know, but I shall do it.

I'll get a better mobo, get the CPU that I can actually overclock, get some better cooling and get a mobo that can fit 2 gpus so down the road I can add a secondary titan. Which will also justify getting the faster cpu
m
0
l
June 1, 2013 7:21:17 AM

Fair enough, enjoy your upgrade!
m
0
l
June 1, 2013 10:53:58 AM

GregJA said:
How much of an fps boost is an i7 3770 3.4ghz vs an i7 3770k oc to 4.5ghz


The increase in cpu power is 32%. If you are purely cpu bound, then that would be the FPS increase.
But... that is unlikely. My guess might be perhaps 20%.
With your titan as a gpu, I might suspect there is something else going on.
Activate the windows performance monitor and see what tasks are running, and how much resource they are taking.

Lastly, haswell launches next week. On a clock for clock basis, it figures to be perhaps 5% stronger than ivy bridge on a clock for clock basis. Look for a 4770K and a Z87 motherboard.
I would not overpay for a X16/X16 capable motherboard. X8/X8 makes little difference with even today's strongest cards.
m
0
l
June 5, 2013 9:03:17 AM

If you have the money then go for Haswell like geofelt said. So get the best you can with your money and you should see great FPS.
m
0
l
!