First Gaming PC Build | Am I doing it right?

I'm building a PC for gaming for the first time. I've done my homework on selecting processors, video cards, powers supplies et cetera for my needs, but I'd like some feedback. My budget is $800, but I may be able to bring that up to $1000 if necessary. Usage will be primarily gaming, running titles such as Flight Simulator X, Mirror's Edge, Portal 2, Bioshock Infinite, and Skyrim, among others. I'll be using a single-screen setup, and I'm not planning on overclocking. Will my components play nicely with one another?

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

Motherboard: ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131835

Processor: Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116782

Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-1GD Radeon HD 7850 1GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125451

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

Power Supply (I'm not sure if it's enough, I definitely don't want to cut corners here): Rosewill CAPSTONE-550 550W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182068

Hard Drive (I'm willing to opt for an SSD in addition if it's not too much of a budget-breaker): Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

Total cost of the current build is $749.92
14 answers Last reply
More about gaming build
  1. Good good, you have learned much. But remember to take into account, should it be relevant...

    The budget breaker:


    Windows.

    Your PSU will also tame your GPU.
  2. X79 said:
    Good good, you have learned much. But remember to take into account, should it be relevant...

    The budget breaker:


    Windows.

    Your PSU will also tame your GPU.


    Right. I had almost forgotten that my computer needs an operating system. -_-

    As for the PSU limiting my GPU, the specs on Newegg say that the card needs a minimum of a 500W power supply. Is what I have now enough, or should I opt for 600+W instead?
  3. Well you have to be aware who recommends the PSUs. I mean if you make PSUs of course

    you'd recommend a higher (thus more expensive) PSU haha. I tend to always go with 500W and

    especially so for the 7850. I'm positive that your current 550W one is fine. Just make sure it's

    80+ BRONZE (at the least) certified, whatever you do.
  4. X79 said:
    Well you have to be aware who recommends the PSUs. I mean if you make PSUs of course

    you'd recommend a higher (thus more expensive) PSU haha. I tend to always go with 500W and

    especially so for the 7850. I'm positive that your current 550W one is fine. Just make sure it's

    80+ BRONZE (at the least) certified, whatever you do.


    Thanks. My current PSU is 80+ Gold certified, so I should be fine in that regard.
  5. For a first build at less than $1000 its a great build. The only thing that kind of worries me about this is the GPU. 1GB is good, but if possible try to get a 2GB since many games now are breaking the 1GB barrier. Also STAY AWAY from SSDs. They are a waste of money. I had one, and when I realized that I had a 6 GB/s option for my HDD, I was instantly loading Windows much faster, and loading files much faster. Games even gained ~5-10 frames because of it!
  6. GOM3RPLY3R said:
    For a first build at less than $1000 its a great build. The only thing that kind of worries me about this is the GPU. 1GB is good, but if possible try to get a 2GB since many games now are breaking the 1GB barrier. Also STAY AWAY from SSDs. They are a waste of money. I had one, and when I realized that I had a 6 GB/s option for my HDD, I was instantly loading Windows much faster, and loading files much faster. Games even gained ~5-10 frames because of it!


    Have to disagree with this.

    If a build can fit an SSD into it, while maintaining the goals of the build (such as good graphics)

    then you ought to include one. And you should always hook the SSDs up to SATA 6GB/s.
  7. X79 said:
    GOM3RPLY3R said:
    For a first build at less than $1000 its a great build. The only thing that kind of worries me about this is the GPU. 1GB is good, but if possible try to get a 2GB since many games now are breaking the 1GB barrier. Also STAY AWAY from SSDs. They are a waste of money. I had one, and when I realized that I had a 6 GB/s option for my HDD, I was instantly loading Windows much faster, and loading files much faster. Games even gained ~5-10 frames because of it!


    Have to disagree with this.

    If a build can fit an SSD into it, while maintaining the goals of the build (such as good graphics)

    then you ought to include one. And you should always hook the SSDs up to SATA 6GB/s.


    During my test with the hdd and ssd which were both hooked up to sata 6 GB/s, the HDD won. Its the weirdest thing but it worked.
  8. You must be doing something wrong then...
  9. X79 said:
    You must be doing something wrong then...


    I'm not, even comparing it to other SSD tests on the internet, mine still wins. I'm not lying in the least. Btw, we both have ASUS SABERTOOTH z77s.

    UPDATE: Even so, with this aside, the space, speed, and price in hand, they still are a huge waste.
  10. Thanks for the input guys. After badgering my parents for cash, I've been able to bring my budget up to $1000 and I decided to go for a better video card as well as a 650W power supply, which should come in handy for any future upgrades.

    Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-R787OC-2GD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418

    Power Supply: Rosewill CAPSTONE-650 650W 80 PLUS GOLD
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182071

    I'll go without the SSD for now seeing as I can always add one later.


    Total hardware cost is $829.92, hardware plus Windows 8 is $949.91
  11. You have learned well on your first build. Personally I like windows 7 64 bit, cause you get the 8 gigs limit and I just prefer 7, cause I think its better.
  12. I saw a list somewhere that didn't recommend Rosewil PSUs whatsoever.
  13. Alright, I've done research on Rosewill PSUs and the general consensus is that they're cheap but they don't last very long. Swapped that out for a Seasonic 650W (which is also modular, a definite plus). I've also added in Windows 7 (for any possible Win8 compatibility issues and the fact that I prefer 8 on systems with touch screens). I decided to get a SSD so I can install my OS on it from the get-go and not have to either copy the OS from the other drive or do a clean install and have to set everything back up a second time down the line.

    Final Build:

    Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

    Motherboard: ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131835

    Processor: Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116782

    Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-R787OC-2GD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418

    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

    Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

    SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147188

    Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

    OS: Windows 7 Home Premium OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

    Total cost (w/o shipping): $1054.90

    Slightly over budget, but I can handle it. Thanks for all the help guys.
  14. Good Job! Hope you play well! ^_^
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Processors Build Systems Graphics Cards New Build