Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

7970 3GB GHZ Edition OR GTX 770 4GB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 31, 2013 6:45:13 PM

Hi,

I am stuck in deciding which card to choose..

I know many will agree that 4GB is not needed, but im already using ~1400MB on my 2GB 6950 (in far cry 3)

Im sure within a year, 2GB will be breached (if not already), and to be safe i personally think a 7970 ghz or 770 4gb would be better.


Which card is better for gaming at 1080p, and which is more likely to be future proof? Also which card has the most OC potential?

Thanks
May 31, 2013 6:49:21 PM

All in all GTX 770. look at the latest benchmark and u'll gonna surprise. *not surprising anyway*
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2013 6:51:34 PM

GTX 770 is a tweaked GTX 680 essentially, anyway it would be my pick just stay away from the WQHL 320.18 drivers they suck big time right now
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2013 6:52:56 PM

Overclocked HD7970 vs overclocked GTX680. I'd take the 7970 due to game bonus. There isn't a big different between the performance of those cards.
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 6:58:23 PM

Thanks for the fast responses ...

Another question, i understand the 8000/9000 series are releasing at the end of the year, which card (770 or 7970) would hold their value until this time next year?

My guess would be the 770 - since its newer but then again its not the high-end card, 7970 is..

m
0
l
a c 256 U Graphics card
May 31, 2013 6:59:55 PM

They are pretty much equal in performance. The AMD never settle bundle still gives them a slight edge in my mind. You also have to remember just how much performance can come from updated drivers and the GTX 770 drivers are still in their early stages. It will be interesting to see if the new, faster 7Ghz GGD5 ( that can overclock to 8Ghz! ) can make a bigger difference with improved drivers.

Nvidia also has the advantage with multiple card setups.
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 7:06:52 PM

anort3 said:
They are pretty much equal in performance. The AMD never settle bundle still gives them a slight edge in my mind. You also have to remember just how much performance can come from updated drivers and the GTX 770 drivers are still in their early stages. It will be interesting to see if the new, faster 7Ghz GGD5 ( that can overclock to 8Ghz! ) can make a bigger difference with improved drivers.

Nvidia also has the advantage with multiple card setups.



The never settle bundle has expired (expired on 31st MAy)

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2013 7:22:06 PM

Kriss Kross said:
anort3 said:
They are pretty much equal in performance. The AMD never settle bundle still gives them a slight edge in my mind. You also have to remember just how much performance can come from updated drivers and the GTX 770 drivers are still in their early stages. It will be interesting to see if the new, faster 7Ghz GGD5 ( that can overclock to 8Ghz! ) can make a bigger difference with improved drivers.

Nvidia also has the advantage with multiple card setups.



The never settle bundle has expired (expired on 31st MAy)



It still exists. New bundles are added every month.
m
0
l
a c 256 U Graphics card
May 31, 2013 7:24:38 PM

I don't think Amazon is included in the UK. It is here in the US but check the link I provided above. I don't see Amazon in the UK or Europe.

Edit. I do see it in France. Does not help you though.
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 7:33:26 PM

NViDIA had game bundles too until now.
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 31, 2013 7:43:47 PM

They sorta still do. But you have to like free MMOs to care about it.
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 7:46:07 PM

Kriss Kross said:
anort3 said:
Nope. Just renamed to never settle reloaded.

http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/never-settle/Pages/nsrelo...


Wow, thanks!

I think 7970 is the way forward - Do you know if the bundle is included with amazon? I am thinking of buying this card: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11197-12-40G-HD7970-Va...


I believe its the GHZ version, and reviews everywhere look good... but im not sure if the games are included through amazon..

Thanks

Do you really choose your video card because of the game that they give with it ? Seriously? Wow....unbelievable
m
0
l
a c 256 U Graphics card
May 31, 2013 7:51:24 PM

jay337 said:
Kriss Kross said:
anort3 said:
Nope. Just renamed to never settle reloaded.

http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/never-settle/Pages/nsrelo...


Wow, thanks!

I think 7970 is the way forward - Do you know if the bundle is included with amazon? I am thinking of buying this card: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11197-12-40G-HD7970-Va...


I believe its the GHZ version, and reviews everywhere look good... but im not sure if the games are included through amazon..

Thanks

Do you really choose your video card because of the game that they give with it ? Seriously? Wow....unbelievable


How about because the 7970Ghz Edition equals a GTX 770 in performance and comes with Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon that are all $50 games each. And the cards are priced the same.

Really, knowing something about the topic before you post.....just crazy.
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 31, 2013 7:56:59 PM

Quote:
Do you really choose your video card because of the game that they give with it ? Seriously? Wow....unbelievable


No, but considering they perform similar the three games help sway my mind. I got the 7950 because I got three games with it. If I went with the 660TI I wouldn't have got the games. And the GTX670 would have cost me more AND I still wouldn't have got any games.
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 8:01:29 PM

4745454b said:
Quote:
Do you really choose your video card because of the game that they give with it ? Seriously? Wow....unbelievable


No, but considering they perform similar the three games help sway my mind. I got the 7950 because I got three games with it. If I went with the 660TI I wouldn't have got the games. And the GTX670 would have cost me more AND I still wouldn't have got any games.


Yes i understand that but for now all the benchmark are done with the first generation of driver...im sure the gtx 770 will be more than better with the good driver in like a month...i just dint understand why pick up a older part (7970) intead of the new gtx 770 that will be way better in future just because of the 3 game that you will play the campain one time and then you will uninstall it ... My 2 cents !
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 8:02:37 PM

anort3 said:
jay337 said:
Kriss Kross said:
anort3 said:
Nope. Just renamed to never settle reloaded.

http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/never-settle/Pages/nsrelo...


Wow, thanks!

I think 7970 is the way forward - Do you know if the bundle is included with amazon? I am thinking of buying this card: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11197-12-40G-HD7970-Va...


I believe its the GHZ version, and reviews everywhere look good... but im not sure if the games are included through amazon..

Thanks

Do you really choose your video card because of the game that they give with it ? Seriously? Wow....unbelievable


How about because the 7970Ghz Edition equals a GTX 770 in performance and comes with Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon that are all $50 games each. And the cards are priced the same.

Really, knowing something about the topic before you post.....just crazy.


Sorry to pissing you off ... I will do my job ne t time....sorry to bother you geezz

Mouhahahaah
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 8:12:39 PM

jay337 said:
anort3 said:
jay337 said:
Kriss Kross said:
anort3 said:
Nope. Just renamed to never settle reloaded.

http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/never-settle/Pages/nsrelo...


Wow, thanks!

I think 7970 is the way forward - Do you know if the bundle is included with amazon? I am thinking of buying this card: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11197-12-40G-HD7970-Va...


I believe its the GHZ version, and reviews everywhere look good... but im not sure if the games are included through amazon..

Thanks

Do you really choose your video card because of the game that they give with it ? Seriously? Wow....unbelievable


How about because the 7970Ghz Edition equals a GTX 770 in performance and comes with Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon that are all $50 games each. And the cards are priced the same.

Really, knowing something about the topic before you post.....just crazy.


Sorry to pissing you off ... I will do my job ne t time....sorry to bother you geezz

Mouhahahaah


I do agree with you about buying old hardware ljke the7970 as opposed to the new 770..which is why I asked this question in the first place.

Im worried mostly about my brand new gpu becoming obsolete in a few months... thats the problem with technology...it changes too fast (good and bad. I guess. .jusy bad for the wallet)

Well im still not sure which card to pick...the 7970 makes more sense financially but the 770 seems a little more of a wiser choice due to its release date....

Ahhhh...why must life be so confusing
m
0
l
a c 256 U Graphics card
May 31, 2013 8:15:40 PM

Just save some more cash and get the 780. :) 
m
0
l
May 31, 2013 8:30:15 PM

10894252,0,218893 said:
Just save some more cash and get the 780. :) [

/quotemsg]

The 780 and 690 were actually on my mind. .but as a student I would never ever get that guilty feeling out of my mind..haha.

Also I only use one monitor which is 22 inches..i really would like to upgrade that too..which is an option if I dont choose the 780 :) 

To be totally honest im leaning towards the 7970 ghz because of the OC potential.

Its 4am and I woke up my gf to ask her what she thinks..im going to get a right old bollocking tommorow!

When I make up my mind I will let everyone know what I chose :) 

Thanks


m
0
l
a c 256 U Graphics card
May 31, 2013 8:32:54 PM

Good luck man!
m
0
l
June 1, 2013 6:25:47 AM

I ended up finding an amazing deal for two 7970's - for £400!

They are not GHz, but they are the powercolor vortex ones, which is ~9% faster than stock.

Im new to crossfire - and alot people have said they have microstutter issues etc.

Im going to give it a try, cant go wrong either way considering i was about to pay £350 for just one 7970 ghz card!

Edit: I currently have a 550w PSU, so i have bought a nice 750w corsair modular psu, woo hoo!
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 1, 2013 6:32:03 AM

redeemer said:
GTX 770 is a tweaked GTX 680 essentially, anyway it would be my pick just stay away from the WQHL 320.18 drivers they suck big time right now


They work fine for me, what's your problem?
m
0
l
!