i3-3240 spec's question

Darkstar86

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
Hey everyone,
So I have and i3-3240 dual core @ 3.4GHz. which should have the following spec: http://ark.intel.com/products/65690/Intel-Core-i3-3240-Processor-3M-Cache-3_40-GHz

Now I was browsing through the ASUS suite (MB hardware monitor/config tool). When I saw the System Information tab displaying cores: 1 and Threads: 2. If you remember back to the link I provided, you can see it should read. Cores: 2 and Threads: 4. So I checked the device manager in windows which shows four different "cores/Threads". In task manager it shows that I have two cores. Also in CPU Z it shows I have 1 core and 2 threads.

so what I'm asking is... Is this normal, or my cpu defective?

I'm just trying to understand why two different pieces of software are saying one thing. While another two different pieces are saying another thing

G

tskk. run cpuz as administrator or just download the latest version. sometimes cpuz goes some mistakes in new ivy bridge edition of intel.

Darkstar86

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
okay so I checked the BIOS and it reports seeing 2 processing cores. Every time I have run cpuz, has been under the admin account.

Okay I have reset the MB, I have even taken the CPU out of the socket. However, it has changed nothing. I have installed all updates for my MB and the driver updates for my CPU. Windows seems to see both cores along with the 4 threads. I just find it funny that my MB monitor software and cpuz is telling me I have only 1 core with 2 threads.

if anyone has any ideas please let me know