Solved

Help between choosing 2 cards please. 7950's

I'm looking at two cards.. both 7950's and only 4$ price difference, is one better than the other? I'm having trouble finding enough information to make a decision...

Sapphire ATI HD 7950 OC V3 Ed w BOOST PCI-E 3.0 3GB GDDR5 950/5000Mhz DVI HDMI

Sapphire ATI HD 7950 VaporX-OC w BOOST PCI-E 3.0 3GB GDDR5

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=248&bid=4&sid=131413

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=248&bid=4&sid=100887


Also I have a FX-8120 OC'd to 4.2ghz, Will the CPU bottleneck the card?


Thanks in advance
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about choosing cards 7950
  1. Get the VaporX one since it has better cooler. And no bottleneck here.
  2. Best answer
    Nope, will not bottleneck.

    First one. The Vapor-X is voltage locked and limits OCing. it has crappy VRM cooling but better general cooling(quieter).
    The Dual-X I have 2 of, both at 1180MHz and very cool.
  3. Based on what I've heard recently, Sapphire's Vapor-X Radeon HD 7950 cards are voltage locked. I've yet to test out if Sapphire has fixed this in their new releases. But to be safe, get the other one, which I guess is Dual-X. Dual-X is very good anyway.
  4. Thanks a lot. Will go out and get my new toy tomorrow :)
  5. Madn3ss795 said:
    Get the VaporX one since it has better cooler. And no bottleneck here.


    I wish people would stop suggesting it... It DOES NOT HAVE BETTER COOLING, its ONLY quieter at a given level.

    Its Voltage locked which renders better cooling useless anyway.
  6. It has slightly better cooling, only in extreme OC cases. But if the cards are still voltage locked, then it is of course not applicable.
  7. Apparently you can flash BIOS of the voltage unlocked 7950 vaporx to your locked 7950 vaporX, if you're unlucky enough to get a locked one.
  8. Madn3ss795 said:
    Apparently you can flash BIOS of the voltage unlocked 7950 vaporx to your locked 7950 vaporX, if you're unlucky enough to get a locked one.


    Unnecessary risk for an overpriced card in my opinion. Seriously though, the Vapor-X is good for one thing, SILENCE. Bad VRM cooling will limit overclocking so much anyway. Trust me, I sent my Vapor-x back after it was locked. The Vapor-X VRM temps(taken with digital thermopads) are about 10C higher under load than the Dual-X.
  9. Novuake said:
    Madn3ss795 said:
    Apparently you can flash BIOS of the voltage unlocked 7950 vaporx to your locked 7950 vaporX, if you're unlucky enough to get a locked one.


    Unnecessary risk for an overpriced card in my opinion. Seriously though, the Vapor-X is good for one thing, SILENCE. Bad VRM cooling will limit overclocking so much anyway. Trust me, I sent my Vapor-x back after it was locked. The Vapor-X VRM temps(taken with digital thermopads) are about 10C higher under load than the Dual-X.


    That cleared things a bit for me. Thanks.
  10. LOL good, you understand my frustration with the Vapor-X and why it is not meant for the enthusiast.
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD ATI Sapphire Graphics PCI Express Graphics Cards HD