7870 Problems (crashing)

SevenofNine24

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
Hello,

My 7870 is misbehaving ever since I bought it.
It was randomly locking up my PC. Turned out it was not properly inserted into the PCIe slot.. (whoops)
After reinstalling it, problems stopped.. not.
I have only encountered lockups when playing LoL (also, some visual artifacts), rendering in Vegas (GPU acceleration disabled!), watching YouTube videos and when leaving my computer idle.
That's all I guess. I've ran memtest, Prime95, I have also reinstalled drivers, whole OS, even. I haven't found the problem.
I have the 13.4 driver, I have tried 13.5 beta, no difference really.
PLEASE tell me you can help me. :c

EDIT: sound does not stop when the crashes occur (music still playing, skype still functioning etc)

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8320 (@ stock)
GPU: Sapphire HD 7870 OC Ghz Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz

MJSBLUES

Honorable
May 7, 2013
Is your PSU overheating? Or are you sure it's your GPU. Do you have another rig you can test on? Because quite a few times people have this freezing problem and it turns out to be their PSU.
Good luck.

SevenofNine24

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013

How can I know my PSU temps? I don't think it's the PSU though because I can play BF3, Tomb Raider and other games for more than hours..
Nah, unfortunately I don't have another rig.

MJSBLUES

Honorable
May 7, 2013

You can't, but if it does crash again, look inside your computer and feel the PSU. That would be the only way of telling. The fact that you can play other games fine makes me think this could be a driver error or something. Hmm, I would say test parts in another computer but you don't have one. The only other thing I could is suggest you reinstall windows but thats a pain in the ass :/
Anways, I hope you fix it.
Edit: If you install a temp monitoring program, see if the GPU or CPU goes to their cut off point right before a freeze.

SevenofNine24

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013

I have already resintalled windows as I mentioned in the first post, no effect.
13.4 beta driver was the only one which didn't crash.
I updated to 13.4 and it crashes. dafuq AMD??