Need to buy or build a new computer need some good advice

Is it better to build your own computer or buy one? I have a old system its time for a new one .. I use my system more for Excel spread sheets, large photo editing files, and some gaming. Can some one advise?
17 answers Last reply
More about buy build computer good advice
  1. Supremely better to build one yourself.

    Advantages:

    - Get to decide exactly what hardware you want.
    - It's cheaper.
    - You know what you are and aren't getting.

    Some prebuilt computers for instance give you an i7 and a measly GPU and call it a day.

    But if you had built it yourself, you'd go for an i5, since that's ACTUALLY perfect for games and

    then you could spend the surplus cash on an even better GPU.

    What's your budget? And do you need an OS, screen, keyboard and mouse?


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i3-3210 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.10 @ TigerDirect)
    Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 1GB Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.50 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($62.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($169.99 @ Amazon)
    Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($9.83 @ Amazon)
    Mouse: V7 M30P10-7N Wired Optical Mouse ($4.30 @ Amazon)
    Total: $812.61
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-01 12:43 EDT-0400)

    This is the entire thing. It can be done cheaper of course, but I don't know your budget.

    But it'll definitely do very well in all you described.
  2. x79,
    What could I build for around $600.00

    kbeach

    X79 said:
    Supremely better to build one yourself.

    Advantages:

    - Get to decide exactly what hardware you want.
    - It's cheaper.
    - You know what you are and aren't getting.

    Some prebuilt computers for instance give you an i7 and a measly GPU and call it a day.

    But if you had built it yourself, you'd go for an i5, since that's ACTUALLY perfect for games and

    then you could spend the surplus cash on an even better GPU.

    What's your budget? And do you need an OS, screen, keyboard and mouse?


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i3-3210 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.10 @ TigerDirect)
    Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 1GB Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.50 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($62.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($169.99 @ Amazon)
    Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($9.83 @ Amazon)
    Mouse: V7 M30P10-7N Wired Optical Mouse ($4.30 @ Amazon)
    Total: $812.61
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-01 12:43 EDT-0400)

    This is the entire thing. It can be done cheaper of course, but I don't know your budget.

    But it'll definitely do very well in all you described.
    Recommended Builds by Price
    Builds by $$$Last Update: September 2014I will be updating builds to include Windows 8.1. Currently all builds up to $2000 are up to date, I will work on UK builds soon.http://www.pcpartpicker.com is used for component selection. All prices in USD (GBP... Read More
  3. x79,
    I need the OS, and can I use the case I have its and old Systemax Venture case will this do? The mouse, and keyboard I dont need.

    X79 said:
    Supremely better to build one yourself.

    Advantages:

    - Get to decide exactly what hardware you want.
    - It's cheaper.
    - You know what you are and aren't getting.

    Some prebuilt computers for instance give you an i7 and a measly GPU and call it a day.

    But if you had built it yourself, you'd go for an i5, since that's ACTUALLY perfect for games and

    then you could spend the surplus cash on an even better GPU.

    What's your budget? And do you need an OS, screen, keyboard and mouse?


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i3-3210 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.10 @ TigerDirect)
    Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 1GB Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.50 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($62.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($169.99 @ Amazon)
    Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($9.83 @ Amazon)
    Mouse: V7 M30P10-7N Wired Optical Mouse ($4.30 @ Amazon)
    Total: $812.61
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-01 12:43 EDT-0400)

    This is the entire thing. It can be done cheaper of course, but I don't know your budget.

    But it'll definitely do very well in all you described.
    Recommended Builds by Price
    Builds by $$$Last Update: September 2014I will be updating builds to include Windows 8.1. Currently all builds up to $2000 are up to date, I will work on UK builds soon.http://www.pcpartpicker.com is used for component selection. All prices in USD (GBP... Read More
  4. What games do you play?
  5. My nephew has me into minecraft games
    at 11 years old he is a computer quiz so i may need his help on the build..lol


    X79 said:
    What games do you play?
  6. How long will the 800.00 system last with out having to add to it?
    X79 said:
    600$ ?

    Check this video then:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6FD1b-tYkk
  7. x79,

    Should I keep this current DVD RW Sony Q 120A or should I get the one you suggested? Lite -On iHas 124-04 DVD CD Writer


    X79 said:
    Supremely better to build one yourself.

    Advantages:

    - Get to decide exactly what hardware you want.
    - It's cheaper.
    - You know what you are and aren't getting.

    Some prebuilt computers for instance give you an i7 and a measly GPU and call it a day.

    But if you had built it yourself, you'd go for an i5, since that's ACTUALLY perfect for games and

    then you could spend the surplus cash on an even better GPU.

    What's your budget? And do you need an OS, screen, keyboard and mouse?


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i3-3210 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.10 @ TigerDirect)
    Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 1GB Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.50 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($62.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($169.99 @ Amazon)
    Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($9.83 @ Amazon)
    Mouse: V7 M30P10-7N Wired Optical Mouse ($4.30 @ Amazon)
    Total: $812.61
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-01 12:43 EDT-0400)

    This is the entire thing. It can be done cheaper of course, but I don't know your budget.

    But it'll definitely do very well in all you described.
  8. Both 800 and 600 should last a long time, provided you're not always out to play

    the newest games and at the highest settings. If you were only playing minecraft, it'll

    last a very long time I think.
  9. X79,

    I'm ordering the parts as you suggested for the 800.00 build. And it may take me a several weeks to get everything but when I do get it all and I 'm ready for the build I my need your help!!
    I will keep you informed if your dont mind.

    Thank you,
    kbeach
    X79 said:
    Both 800 and 600 should last a long time, provided you're not always out to play

    the newest games and at the highest settings. If you were only playing minecraft, it'll

    last a very long time I think.
  10. Alright mate.

    If you've never put together a computer, check this out while you're waiting, to get a

    general idea:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea_bs5G1yYU

    And here's a different, but short one:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSNz6VVpWI8
  11. This is what I have bought so far:
    MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 1GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
    Lite-ON iHas124-04 DVD/CD Writer
    Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) 64 bit

    Was trying to locate the Intel Core i3-3210 and it is no longer available through Tiger Direct- was looking at the two items below.

    This is at Amazon both run $278.00 (Is this a good deal and will it meet my needs?).
    Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K by Intel $209.99
    Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Core i3, i5, i7 and Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 $67.29


    quotemsg=10915532,0,1303551]Alright mate.

    If you've never put together a computer, check this out while you're waiting, to get a

    general idea:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea_bs5G1yYU

    And here's a different, but short one:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSNz6VVpWI8
  12. Well that motherboard is alright, but it's perhaps not the best suited for overclocking (OC'ing).

    And you've picked a K edition CPU and they're really quite meant for OC'ing. So if you still want the

    same CPU, get one without a K. It's a good CPU yes. The RAM is also quite good.
  13. Hey mate,
    This is the motherboard you suggested, dont tell me its an ok motherboard..lol
    You know I'm not a expert on this so I am relying on your Knowledege !!

    X79 said:
    Well that motherboard is alright, but it's perhaps not the best suited for overclocking (OC'ing).

    And you've picked a K edition CPU and they're really quite meant for OC'ing. So if you still want the

    same CPU, get one without a K. It's a good CPU yes. The RAM is also quite good.
  14. Okay in the sense that it'll get the job done, but that it's not high-end.
  15. I would get a fx 6300
  16. Marcopolo123 said:
    I would get a fx 6300


    Which is a nice CPU too.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Build Systems