i7 920 to Haswell...Is it worth it?

aatish11

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hello,
I've been running my Alienware Aurora (R1) for a good while now. I've upgraded the Video card, and the hard drives. Currently it is running an i7 920 over-clocked @4.0 Ghz. I'm happy with my current system as it handles my games (GTA 4, NFS, ROR, etc) pretty well. However, I am concerned that my current system is not going to be as effective with upcoming titles; like WatchDogs, GTA 5, Project CARS. I would like some input on wether I should, or should not, upgrade my system to the new Haswell processors. Will I see a major performance boost than my current setup, or will I not notice the change? Any and all input is welcomed. And just to clear things up, I am in no way a intel fanboy. If you would like to suggest an AMD over Intel, by all means go ahead. And finally, no intel vs amd wars:no:. (ps: I am not afraid of losing my case lights as I have heard changing the motherboard will disable the lighting system)
Thanks,
aatish11

Current PC specs:
Intel i7 @4.0 Ghz
12gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Alienware motherboard
MSI Power Edition GTX670
WD Velociraptor 500gb (Boot and Programs)
120 OCZ Silver (Games)
2x WD 500gb (Data)
875w Alienware PSU

Solution
You answered your own question, "I'm happy with my current system as it handles my games (GTA 4, NFS, ROR, etc) pretty well". That i7 @ 4ghz is more than enough for modern games, it's the GPU that is starting to be more important and yours is still a good card. Only thing I would change is the WD Vel for a nice fast SSD.
You answered your own question, "I'm happy with my current system as it handles my games (GTA 4, NFS, ROR, etc) pretty well". That i7 @ 4ghz is more than enough for modern games, it's the GPU that is starting to be more important and yours is still a good card. Only thing I would change is the WD Vel for a nice fast SSD.

Solution

aatish11

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

Thanks for the reply and nice picture.
So you don't think that the Haswell will be worth the money? I am totally fine with keeping my current setup if it is not going to buckle under new games.

sancco

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
I'm in exactly the same boat, except I've left my i7 920 @ stock. It's been like 4 years and I want to upgrade, the thing is that it's actually handling everything I need it to do just fine. A part of me thinks if I upgrade now I'll see some night and day difference that would be awesome, but in reality I would probably just sink a whole lot of money into a fairly insignificant upgrade.

I'm going to stick to my i7 920 computer until I ABSOLUTELY NEED to upgrade, then when I do the performance gains will be all the more rewarding. I reckon if I upgrade now I will just be disappointed and regret spending all that money.

Erik Swan

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
I have a similar problem... Currently I have an i7-920 @ 3.2 Ghz and I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to the i7-4770K. My 920 handles almost all the daily work I need to do just fine, as well as gaming (I have a GTX 680).

However, I also do heavy video and graphics work occasionally and the extra performance there would probably be nice (based on Anand's benchmarks, it looks like I would get anywhere from 40-60% performance improvement).

You also have to consider the benefits of upgrading the chipset and motherboard... X58 is far outdated now and the USB 3.0 and SATA 6gbps support would be nice (I have an SSD right now that is faster than the 3gbps that my motherboard can support).

nathanoakes

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Hey, going from benchmarks I've seen here, you're better off sticking with your current CPU until Intel come out with something better, which should be next year. We're not getting anything that your setup won't handle between now and then so don't worry about upgrading until then. Upgrade the memory and maybe the HDD if you're desperate to change something.

MagusALL

Honorable
May 24, 2013
The power consumption should be the last thing you care about honestly. Benchmarks should be the second to last thing you worry about. Do you take your car to the drag strip0 or do you drive it to work and the grocery store like everyone else? A computer is a machine which can help you to perform tasks. If it is sufficient at whatever tasks you have than I say wait. If the cost in real $$ is worth it because it simply is not performing where you want it to perform than go for it. Be honest with yourself no one will care if you are still rocking a C2D so long as you are happy with it. Sometimes it feel better to not spend money than to have something that looks better on paper.

nathanoakes

Honorable
May 31, 2013

I second this. If you don't have too much money then keep the things you have if they work. No need to break the bank over 'something that looks good on paper' when it isn't necessary. If you have money you don't care about then you don't really need to ask anyone's opinion because you really don't care about it. This is where I go with AMD, not having cash myself. They're cheap, they work, they work very well for the credibility they get. And yeah, I hate when people complain about power consumption, it means jack all unless you care so much about money that you can't spare a few watts here and there. Makes no difference.

nathanoakes

Honorable
May 31, 2013

Well the irony of that is that people have their money now, and they make more money over time so they aren't going to notice it going. I earn quadruple that in a month over limited work shifts as an 18 year old. Like I said it doesn't matter about the power consumption, it isn't important. People aren't going to be waiting four years at a time so they can buy one part every four years, and the money they make over those four years won't make a dent. I think you're just looking into this so that you can make an argument for no reason.

nathanoakes

Honorable
May 31, 2013

But like I just said, they won't notice it going. Unless, like you, they monitor every unit of electricity that is used every second of every day, they won't know or care how much they're saving because over 4 years £120 something is minimal. Also, the money they're supposedly saving will more than likely be spent on something else when they're earning.

For me, I generally do not upgrade unless I can get an overall average performance increase of at least 20% - 25%. Since I have a Q9450, getting either Ivy Bridge or Haswell would qualify. However, I am still content with the performance I am getting so I am not sure if I want to upgrade at this point in time.

I will likely upgrade to Haswell / Broadwell and then again when Skylake is released. Haswell / Broadwell will then go into my HTPC.

8350rocks

Distinguished

+1 this is sound advice...I just posted in another thread with benches showing the performance is actually much less than advertised. For example...haswell actually has worse memory throughput with the same bandwidth vs. IB. Haswell also draws more power per CPU and total system, runs hotter, and will be a good 15-20% more expensive. Additionally...the "massive " iGPU upgrade is only available on flagship SKUs or BGA rigs for a premium price. In real world applications and gaming the difference in performance is approximately 5-7% based on Tom's Hardware review.

Essentially, if you skipped IB because it wasn't enough performance increase...skip "hasbeen"...because it's just a reboot with higher power draw, and better iGPU if you shill out the money for a BGA/Flagship SKU.

8350rocks

Distinguished

+1 I've only ever encountered (online or IRL) 1 person in my entire life concerned about power consumption at all (he's posting in this thread, btw).

Excellent point...as the old military adage goes..."if it isn't broke, don't fix it".

RAJOD

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
I have that same 920 @ 3.4 with a 760GTX and also a 3770k. You will get buyers remorse big time. The I7920 @ 4Ghz is still very fast. In most games (Borderlands 2, Crysis etc) the GPU will dominate, even with SLI the 920 is plenty fast and will not be the limiting factor or not enough to notice.
Really only SC2 in a game called Desert Strike does a fast CPU come into play.
I think the real reason is like many you have the hardware upgrade itch. You want us to give you the ok to spend. I'm underwelmed by the IVY, Hawell speed increases over the I7 920. No compelling reason to upgrade. Sorry to burst the bubble.

sancco

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009

That's great and all, but this topic has been inactive for almost 4 months.

STbob

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2015
Sancco I think RAJOD knows about the topics activity. Who are you to tell him when he can and can't post. This information is still relavent in 2015.

I too have a i7920 and 4770k. The 920 with 24 gigs or ram and gtx 770 is still very strong. It hangs with the newer cpus just fine. The 920 x58 was ahead of its time. Built like a tank.

I'm still using mine. Not really worth it to upgrade unless maybe a 6 core and if you really need usb3.0.

logainofhades

Titan

Thread necromancy is frowned upon, that is why. Why resurrect a nearly 1.5yr old thread just to say that?

f48fd9u-960.jpg