HD 7970 Question

G

Hello again Tom's Hardware!

I recently purchased a Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 GHz Edition and am loving it!
I did however just realise that my MoBo (ASUS P8P67) only supports PCIe 2 while my GPU supports PCIe 3. I am curious as to how much performance (gaming wise) I will lose due to having this older motherboard?

Also as a side note.
I like to keep my computer running nice and cool and hence tend to have my fan speeds rather high (noise doesn't bother me and I have headphones)
Will higher fan speeds damage my GPU at all?

I tend to have it on 50% until 40C (idle is 27C) then increase by 10% every 10C until 100% at 70C (My card has yet to go above 55C)

Solution
Well if you were to run PCIe 3.0 in SLI/Crossfire over PCIe 2.0, potentially it would be faster. This is because when a system is running 2 cards the slots are forced to run 8x/8x, rather than 16x. Unless you are using two cards it really doesn't make a difference.
G

Okay, thanks mate :p
May I ask what PCIe does then?

Well if you were to run PCIe 3.0 in SLI/Crossfire over PCIe 2.0, potentially it would be faster. This is because when a system is running 2 cards the slots are forced to run 8x/8x, rather than 16x. Unless you are using two cards it really doesn't make a difference.

Solution
G

Thanks for your help man :) :)

RustyCondom

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

I have a related question as I have the same mobo and want to get a pair of 7970s to crossfire for ltc mining. Do you think I'd get a bad enough performance hit on 8x+8x on 2xPCI-E 2 to maybe warrant different cards?