Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What do I need to upgrade first on my gaming computer? Appreciate all advise

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 1, 2013 2:34:56 PM

Ok, so I have a computer that is pretty old, I think 6-7 years now. I'm looking to slowly but surely make a new build out of it. I'm hoping to use my same hard drive, sound card, and disk drive to save money. I play video games and get terrible fps drops in Bioshock Infinite so I'm hoping to upgrade to get that game running smooth on medium-high first. Right now I only have the expenses to upgrade either my RAM, motherboard and processor or just a good GPU.

My current pc specs are:

Motherboard: Dell 0RY007
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 @2.66GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR2
GPU: EVGA Geforce 9800 gt 1GB (i think DDR3)
Power Supply: 550W

What I am hoping to upgrade to:

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965
Motherboard - ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS AM3+
GPU - Geforce GTX 650 Ti 2Gb DDR5
RAM - Corsair Vengeance BLUE 4GB (may get 8 gigs)

So which should I bother upgrading first for the most noticeable difference? Just to reiterate I can only afford either:

1) Just the GPU upgrade or 2)Motherboard, processor, and RAM upgrade.

I'm also open to a totally different suggestion if it would help increase my PC performance.
June 1, 2013 2:40:12 PM

Hey! I was in the same problem as you were in. I had a terribly old computer that really couldn't run much. I was thinking what you were thinking as in just buying parts and upgrading the old parts in the old computer. But believe me, your going to want to start from scratch. Just build a completely new computer.. its well worth it.
m
0
l
June 1, 2013 2:47:37 PM

Hi I3oom!

Upgrading your video card to the GTX 650 Ti would have the most noticeable difference.

That said, the E7300 will bottleneck this new gpu.

Of course, it's all good, knowing that you will eventually upgrade to a better CPU and motherboard.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 1, 2013 3:11:55 PM

timmmmeh said:
Hey! I was in the same problem as you were in. I had a terribly old computer that really couldn't run much. I was thinking what you were thinking as in just buying parts and upgrading the old parts in the old computer. But believe me, your going to want to start from scratch. Just build a completely new computer.. its well worth it.


scragnoff said:
Hi I3oom!

Upgrading your video card to the GTX 650 Ti would have the most noticeable difference.

That said, the E7300 will bottleneck this new gpu.

Of course, it's all good, knowing that you will eventually upgrade to a better CPU and motherboard.


Ok, how bad would it bottleneck the GPU? Just to be clear bottlenecking is the cpu causing the gpu not to work to its full potential output correct?
m
0
l
June 1, 2013 3:24:00 PM

I3oom said:
timmmmeh said:
Hey! I was in the same problem as you were in. I had a terribly old computer that really couldn't run much. I was thinking what you were thinking as in just buying parts and upgrading the old parts in the old computer. But believe me, your going to want to start from scratch. Just build a completely new computer.. its well worth it.


scragnoff said:
Hi I3oom!

Upgrading your video card to the GTX 650 Ti would have the most noticeable difference.

That said, the E7300 will bottleneck this new gpu.

Of course, it's all good, knowing that you will eventually upgrade to a better CPU and motherboard.


Ok, how bad would it bottleneck the GPU? Just to be clear bottlenecking is the cpu causing the gpu not to work to its full potential output correct?


Yes, you are correct.

If you're good with low setting while playing games, then the bottleneck won't be much of an issue. When you go with higher details and want more eye candy, that's when the cpu won't be able to catch up.

Edit: Might wanna give this a look-through.
m
0
l
!