Sign in with
Your question
Solved

i5 4430 + hd 8850 or i3 3220 + hd 8870?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 2, 2013 1:50:36 AM

My friend is planning to upgrade his computer this november 2013, his budget is ~400$

>420$ is a definite no go because the rest of his money is for PSU and Motherboard

i5 4430 is ~$182 + HD 8850 is ~$229 (rumored) totaling at ~$411

or

i3 3220 is ~$110 + HD 8870 is ~$299 (rumored) totaling at ~$409

It will be used for gaming mainly. What do you think he should buy? Or do you have better set up than these?

Thanks in advance.

More about : 4430 8850 3220 8870

a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2013 1:52:55 AM

Quad cores feed GPUs better. The i3 might even bottleneck that card on intensive games, and it will be the bottleneck in CPU intensive games. A lot more games these days are leaning towards quad cores.

Edit: Not only that, but everything else you do will be much faster.
m
l
a c 171 V Motherboard
June 2, 2013 2:08:42 AM

What the hell is with Canadians? Geesh. I3s DO NOT BOTTLENECK YET. They do however limit you in games that utilize 3+ cores. But not much, not much at all. I3s are very good budget gaming options.

Look for gaming it makes sense to get a better GPU, but right now HD8xxx series is not even slated for release yet.

Personally I would suggest going the AMD route on such a tight budget, since you will be getting a quad and a better GPU at the same price as the Intel based system.
m
l
Related resources
June 2, 2013 2:21:39 AM

Novuake said:
What the hell is with Canadians? Geesh. I3s DO NOT BOTTLENECK YET. They do however limit you in games that utilize 3+ cores. But not much, not much at all. I3s are very good budget gaming options.

Look for gaming it makes sense to get a better GPU, but right now HD8xxx series is not even slated for release yet.

Personally I would suggest going the AMD route on such a tight budget, since you will be getting a quad and a better GPU at the same price as the Intel based system.

Yes the i3 do not bottleneck yet, but will it bottleneck at next gen games? The reason he's upgrading because he wants to play next gen games smoothly for years to come.

We considered AMD routes but there is no AMD processor that is better for gaming than the Intel's one at that budget . What AMD processor do you suggest ? I'll have a look at it.

Remember that he will upgrade it on november 2013 so suggesting upcoming processor or gpu is fine if it will launch before november 2013.
m
l
June 2, 2013 2:23:54 AM

Dunno... As far as the rumours go, the 8870 should be on par with gtx680 and the 8850 with gtx670; so I'd personally go for the i5. I mean HT is nice and good, but a quad is a quad :D 

Also it would be nice to wait for the geforce 7-series to compare, as AMD has some serious issues with their cards /so either you get a 120/144Hz monitor or turn on the v-sync, which degrades your graphic card by a lot/...
m
l
a c 171 V Motherboard
June 2, 2013 2:30:56 AM

random stalker said:
Dunno... As far as the rumours go, the 8870 should be on par with gtx680 and the 8850 with gtx670; so I'd personally go for the i5. I mean HT is nice and good, but a quad is a quad :D 

Also it would be nice to wait for the geforce 7-series to compare, as AMD has some serious issues with their cards /so either you get a 120/144Hz monitor or turn on the v-sync, which degrades your graphic card by a lot/...

No, they have issues with Multi-GPU, not their cards at all...
m
l
June 2, 2013 2:32:22 AM

random stalker said:

according to this :
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-8870-vs-GeForce-GTX-7...
8870 win in every aspect, and
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-8850-vs-GeForce-GTX-7...
8850 only loses a bit
but I think 760 ti will be more expensive than 8870 because 660 ti is already around 299$ , so 700 series probably be a no go.
m
l

Best solution

a c 171 V Motherboard
June 2, 2013 2:33:36 AM

DERPotato said:
Novuake said:

Yes the i3 do not bottleneck yet, but will it bottleneck at next gen games? The reason he's upgrading because he wants to play next gen games smoothly for years to come.

We considered AMD routes but there is no AMD processor that is better for gaming than the Intel's one at that budget . What AMD processor do you suggest ? I'll have a look at it.

Remember that he will upgrade it on november 2013 so suggesting upcoming processor or gpu is fine if it will launch before november 2013.

Nobody can speak for next gen games or make suggestions for them.
Anyway, since a 4300 can be OCd and has 4 cores and is CHEAPER than an I3, it makes sense to get it instead. This is just an example. This only applies if games start using multiple cores.

Its just to unsure now. Wait till the games and/or November to ask this sort of questions because no one can answer this with any sort of reliabilty now.
a c 171 V Motherboard
June 2, 2013 2:34:21 AM

DERPotato said:
random stalker said:

according to this :
8850 only loses a bit
but I think 760 ti will be more expensive than 8870 , so 700 series probably be a no go.

Here we go again. STOP USING GPUBoss!!!!!!
m
l
June 2, 2013 2:40:52 AM

Novuake said:
DERPotato said:
random stalker said:

according to this :
8850 only loses a bit
but I think 760 ti will be more expensive than 8870 , so 700 series probably be a no go.

Here we go again. STOP USING GPUBoss!!!!!!

Sorry, there is no other GPU comparing sites for those two, and that's just only to see the general outline :) 

m
l
June 2, 2013 2:42:19 AM

Novuake said:
DERPotato said:
Novuake said:

Nobody can speak for next gen games or make suggestions for them.
Anyway, since a 4300 can be OCd and has 4 cores and is CHEAPER than an I3, it makes sense to get it instead. This is just an example. This only applies if games start using multiple cores.

Its just to unsure now. Wait till the games and/or November to ask this sort of questions because no one can answer this with any sort of reliabilty now.

Okay then, I'll ask again when november comes. Thanks for answering!

m
l
a c 171 V Motherboard
June 2, 2013 2:45:29 AM

DERPotato. There is a reason why they are not being compared, because they are not out yet, that should give you a good idea as to how credible GPUBoss is.

The problem is people do not understand that the differences in clock and memory bus and that sort of "general outline" does not translate into better performance UNLESS it withing a given range. You need to compare appples with apples, not apples with monkeys.

For example the GTX660ti beats the HD7850 with EASE despite the larger memory bus and higher frequency.
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7850-vs--922337203684...

GPUBoss clearly states "no winner" and yet the GTX660ti is sooo much more expensive and BETTER...

Can no one understand that even linking GPUBoss is foolish... People will start using it instead of getting REAL advice.
m
l
a c 171 V Motherboard
June 2, 2013 2:46:11 AM

No problem. Sorry for the freaking out, this is a sensitive subject on Toms.
m
l
June 2, 2013 3:00:16 AM

Novuake said:
DERPotato. There is a reason why they are not being compared, because they are not out yet, that should give you a good idea as to how credible GPUBoss is.

The problem is people do not understand that the differences in clock and memory bus and that sort of "general outline" does not translate into better performance UNLESS it withing a given range. You need to compare appples with apples, not apples with monkeys.

For example the GTX660ti beats the HD7850 with EASE despite the larger memory bus and higher frequency.
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7850-vs--922337203684...

GPUBoss clearly states "no winner" and yet the GTX660ti is sooo much more expensive and BETTER...

Can no one understand that even linking GPUBoss is foolish... People will start using it instead of getting REAL advice.

well in your link (gpuboss), gtx 660 ti beats 7850 , and usually, i only see the FPS (and FLOPS), the rest is not that important , because no matter how awfully credible the site is, if the FPS in games is correct and the GPU have more FPS , it's definitely better :) 

m
l
a c 171 V Motherboard
June 2, 2013 3:02:42 AM

The thing is most comparisons on there do not have the FPS benches.
m
l
!