Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Motherboard for Haswell

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 2, 2013 6:52:49 AM

So I was working on my first build and I got convinced to wait for haswell. Now I have the entire build except for the mobo! I am pretty new to this so some of the lingo still evades me but if anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated! I have everything except the mobo.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/127Oh
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/127Oh/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/127Oh/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($443.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.88 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($126.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($266.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1749.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-02 09:52 EDT-0400)

Edit: Or is haswell really even worth it over the i5-3570k?

More about : motherboard haswell

a b 4 Gaming
a c 171 V Motherboard
June 2, 2013 6:57:21 AM

What's the build for? It looks decent so far. Wait for the motherboards.
m
0
l
June 2, 2013 7:06:18 AM

ksham said:
What's the build for? It looks decent so far. Wait for the motherboards.


The build is for gaming with the occasional internet browsing. I wasn't looking to spend more then 1800 but I could stretch it for the motherboard. (Which looks like I will need to)
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 171 V Motherboard
June 2, 2013 7:08:01 AM

I don't know many that are out right now. But when they are out, I'm sure I can help you make it fit within the budget.
m
0
l
June 2, 2013 7:20:07 AM

ksham said:
I don't know many that are out right now. But when they are out, I'm sure I can help you make it fit within the budget.

Perfect thank you. Also is haswell worth the extra price?

m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2013 7:21:35 AM

bisnettda23 said:
So I was working on my first build and I got convinced to wait for haswell. Now I have the entire build except for the mobo! I am pretty new to this so some of the lingo still evades me but if anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated! I have everything except the mobo.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/127Oh
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/127Oh/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/127Oh/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($443.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.88 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($126.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($266.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1749.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-02 09:52 EDT-0400)

Edit: Or is haswell really even worth it over the i5-3570k?


I'd swap the second drive to a WD 2TB green /which would get me double capacity for like USD 30 more/. Since it will be only used for music/movies/documents and other stuff, you will not need ultra-fast access for.

Also, a GTX770 is worth to consider, but that depends on the games you're playing.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-770-gk1...

I'd also drop that wifi - since I wouldn't be taking my machine to my bed and cable works better and has lower latency /which is always better for online games/. Also some mobos have it integrated.

And last but not least, get a decent sound card - that stuff is priceless :D 

PS: I guess it is - you get a nice increase of power, support for newer instructions and new mobo - which is great if you're going to upgrade your CPU later on :D 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 171 V Motherboard
June 2, 2013 7:22:39 AM

It just came out so it may take a bit for benchmarks to come out. But from pre-releases, it looks like a very small leap from the i5-3570K.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 171 V Motherboard
June 2, 2013 7:24:17 AM

random stalker said:

And last but not least, get a decent sound card - that stuff is priceless :D 

Care to recommend a set of good speakers or headphones along with that idea? A sound card without quality speakers or headphones is useless. You won't hear the difference.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2013 7:50:59 AM

ksham said:
random stalker said:

And last but not least, get a decent sound card - that stuff is priceless :D 

Care to recommend a set of good speakers or headphones along with that idea? A sound card without quality speakers or headphones is useless. You won't hear the difference.


Depends on a budget...
Can it be something in the range of ~100 USD: OZMA 5 /headsets - hard to get but worth every penny/ or Audio Technica AD700 and Ultrasone PRO 550 /headphones/?
As for speakers... Dunno... 2.1 - Klipsch Promedia or Swans M10...

Decent 5.1 speaker setup will burn a hole in your pocket... Onkyo HTX-22HDX + SKS-22X... I also heard some nice stuff about Logitech Z906, but... Dunno really...
m
0
l
June 2, 2013 8:28:10 AM

Random question about the build in general. Looking at the storage I'm sticking with the Western Digital Blue 1tb but I have two options. One with a 32mb cache and the other with the 64mb cache. What is the difference and is it worth the upgraded price?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2013 8:36:49 AM

bisnettda23 said:
Random question about the build in general. Looking at the storage I'm sticking with the Western Digital Blue 1tb but I have two options. One with a 32mb cache and the other with the 64mb cache. What is the difference and is it worth the upgraded price?


Helps a bit with r/w - will send you more data it thinks you'll need...
Good for RAID, not so good for everything else...

Also - do you plan on installing games on that drive or are you keeping it for multimedia only?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 171 V Motherboard
June 2, 2013 8:39:07 AM

No noticeable difference in performance. So if you care, buy a SSD.
m
0
l
June 2, 2013 9:03:37 AM

With the choice of processor I suppose its a question of when you want to upgrade again sooner rather than later. I'm sort of in the same boat for choosing a new processor (jumping from an AMD phenom II 955) I could buy a Haswell chip (which i understand isn't much of an improvement from ivy) and board now and only need to upgrade the to broadwell (which will have a bigger leap) later as they are likely to use the same slot. but then again I could save money now by getting ivy bridge cpu and board but then could end up paying a lot more if i do decide to got to broadwell as i would need to buy a new board when that is relesed.
m
0
l
June 2, 2013 9:04:52 AM

Well this is the build. I planned on putting my windows on the ssd and games on the western digital. I planned on doing this pretty much entirely based of what other people have told me to do.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/129Rn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/129Rn/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/129Rn/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($196.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($449.99 @ NCIX US)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.88 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($126.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($266.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1952.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-02 12:07 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
June 2, 2013 10:21:10 AM

bisnettda23 said:
Well this is the build. I planned on putting my windows on the ssd and games on the western digital. I planned on doing this pretty much entirely based of what other people have told me to do.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/129Rn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/129Rn/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/129Rn/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($196.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($449.99 @ NCIX US)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.88 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($126.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($266.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1952.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-02 12:07 EDT-0400)


So you're going for what I suggested, good choice. There is a cheaper version with less features you might want to compare it to. The Asus vi hero is around the same price so check that out and the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC is a bit more expensive but has lots of OC features
m
0
l
June 3, 2013 8:35:45 AM

Also why is it you want 16gb of RAM. from what I understand you want 8gb of RAM is MORE then enough.
m
0
l
!