Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Homebuilt gaming PC or Alienware x51 for $850?

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 2, 2013 8:11:59 PM

This is the alienware comp I get for 850 with my company's discount. I was just wondering if I could build a computer that is just as good if not better for the same or cheaper. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I don't care about the keyboard or mouse, I have a razor naga and a gaming keyboard already. Thanks in advance!


OPERATING SYSTEM Windows 8, 64-bit, English
PRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office trial
MEMORY 8GB (2 X 4GB) Dual Channel DDR3 up to 1600MHz
HARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
OPTICAL DRIVE Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
KEYBOARD Alienware Multi-Media Keyboard
MOUSE Alienware Optical Mouse, MG100
WALLPAPER Alienhead Chrome Blue
SUPPORT 1 Year Alienware Basic Support edit
PROCESSOR 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 (8M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 1.5GB GDDR5
CHASSIS COLOR Matte Stealth Black with Dark Chrome Accents
WIRELESS DW1506 Wireless-N WLAN Half Mini-Card
ALIENFX AlienFX Color, Quasar Blue
PRE-INSTALLED SOFTWARE Steam Factory Installed and Steam Extra Content
AVATAR Alienhead Chrome Blue
AUTOMATIC UPDATES 330W External Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
June 2, 2013 8:19:23 PM

everythingzen83 said:
This is the alienware comp I get for 850 with my company's discount. I was just wondering if I could build a computer that is just as good if not better for the same or cheaper. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I don't care about the keyboard or mouse, I have a razor naga and a gaming keyboard already. Thanks in advance!


OPERATING SYSTEM Windows 8, 64-bit, English
PRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office trial
MEMORY 8GB (2 X 4GB) Dual Channel DDR3 up to 1600MHz
HARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
OPTICAL DRIVE Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
KEYBOARD Alienware Multi-Media Keyboard
MOUSE Alienware Optical Mouse, MG100
WALLPAPER Alienhead Chrome Blue
SUPPORT 1 Year Alienware Basic Support edit
PROCESSOR 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 (8M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 1.5GB GDDR5
CHASSIS COLOR Matte Stealth Black with Dark Chrome Accents
WIRELESS DW1506 Wireless-N WLAN Half Mini-Card
ALIENFX AlienFX Color, Quasar Blue
PRE-INSTALLED SOFTWARE Steam Factory Installed and Steam Extra Content
AVATAR Alienhead Chrome Blue
AUTOMATIC UPDATES 330W External Power supply


That's actually not a bad price for *that* particular PC, though I'd probably make other suggestions (like going 3570k unless you really need a 3770). Though that's a real crap PSU that you should not under any circumstances allow to touch any PC - I'm not sure I'd be comfortable even having it in a box in my house just in case a burglar installed it in my PC to be a real jerk.
m
0
l
June 2, 2013 8:23:33 PM

Well the games I really play are mmorpgs so I'm not needing a really awesome computer..if u have suggestions for something cheaper, and I can run on pretty decent settings, that would be great. I'm not looking to run everything on ultra, but handle games at medium or high np. Plus I'm not much of a dell fan lol
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
June 2, 2013 8:33:05 PM

Wasn't able to get you the cheap keyboard and mouse combo, plus less flashy, but much better performance. Features stay the same :


CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.25 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone Redline Series RL04B ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.04 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $846.17
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-02 23:32 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
June 2, 2013 8:45:26 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
Wasn't able to get you the cheap keyboard and mouse combo, plus less flashy, but much better performance. Features stay the same :


CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.25 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone Redline Series RL04B ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.04 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $846.17
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-02 23:32 EDT-0400)



This is a perfect build for you and is better than the Alienware. Alienware went to the crapper when Dell bought them out.
m
0
l
June 3, 2013 2:03:33 AM

Madn3ss795's suggestion was a good build but I'd change the storage form a caviar blue to a Seagate Barracuda, and also change the MSI mobo to the ASRock Extreme4 (not familiar with MSI as a mobo brand0
m
0
l
June 3, 2013 4:55:12 AM

Is the graphics card ok? I was reading on it, and it seems it craps out a lot and pretty quickly.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
June 3, 2013 5:04:33 AM

everythingzen83 said:
Is the graphics card ok? I was reading on it, and it seems it craps out a lot and pretty quickly.


The 7870XT V3 would solve lots of problem. Costs 20$ more, thou.
m
0
l
!