Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need Advice on Gtx 770 vs. 780

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 2, 2013 10:33:25 PM

Hey there everyone I have just recently completed my first system build actually just two days ago and actually went pretty smooth with a single major hitch. But anyways just need a new gpu now and was going to get the evga gtx 670 ftw sig 2 but now think it would be best to go with either the gtx 770 or 780. I dont think ill be OC and will be just gaming for the most part like bf3 and bf4 eventually and want to run ultra settimgs. Currently I'm just using a single 27inch at 1920X1080 but in the future run multi-monitors. Budget wise is 500-600 but if definatly worth it alittle more. ANy suggestions or advice would be appricated. Or Suggestions on going a different route. thanks

System Spec

Case Cooler Master Haf X Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77 Processor Intel Core
i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Cpu Fan & Heatsink COOLER MASTER Hyper 212
EVO 16 GB Ram 4x4GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Desktop DIMMs Video Card XFX -
Ultra Overclock Edition Radeon HD 7770 1GB DDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics
Card Psu XfxProSeries 1250W PSU 80+Gold Full Modular PSU with
SolidLink™ Case Coolermaster Haf X HHD WD Black 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
3.5" Internal Hard Drive Monitor Samsung 27" 550 Series LED
Monitor running at 1080 x 1920

More about : advice gtx 770 780

a b 4 Gaming
a c 84 U Graphics card
a c 91 à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
June 2, 2013 10:43:21 PM

Your requirements are high ... Ultra on BF 3 AND BF 4, Multiple displays, etc.
I think you should invest in the best you can .. which here is GTX 780.

I think you might have to SLI it later on as your requirements would grow but as of now it should fulfil your needs.
GTX 770 is about 15% weaker than it but retails for $450.

Now here you have two options -

1) GTX 780 x 1 = $700
2) GTX 770 x 2 = $900

Both are good and won't be bottleneck for your CPU.
Rest depends on your budget.

P.S - I did not said GTX 770 because I have doubts whether it would be able to meet your ultra requirements. :) 
Someone else here might be able to help out.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
June 2, 2013 10:57:01 PM

luckiest charm said:
Your requirements are high ... Ultra on BF 3 AND BF 4, Multiple displays, etc.
I think you should invest in the best you can .. which here is GTX 780.

I think you might have to SLI it later on as your requirements would grow but as of now it should fulfil your needs.
GTX 770 is about 15% weaker than it but retails for $450.

Now here you have two options -

1) GTX 780 x 1 = $700
2) GTX 770 x 2 = $900

Both are good and won't be bottleneck for your CPU.
Rest depends on your budget.

P.S - I did not said GTX 770 because I have doubts whether it would be able to meet your ultra requirements. :) 
Someone else here might be able to help out.


Good advice, except for the fact that he will be going multiple monitor. The 2GB memory will be limiting in the next few years with a multi-display system. The GTX780 has 3GB ram, a must have. I'd strongly recommend a 780. Even a Titan if he smokes $100 dollar bills for fun for it has 6GB ram.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 84 U Graphics card
a c 91 à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
June 2, 2013 11:06:43 PM

He said his budget is $500 - $600 and would go a little higher. Titan retails for $1000 .. That thing is a beast to have but in his budget he would have to go for GTX 780 (even that would require another $100).
m
0
l
June 2, 2013 11:22:51 PM

Well Muti monitors are just an option and not so determined on that but to at least run ultra at 1920&1080 is what im looking to achive mainly and realize that trying to run those settings with multuple monitors is out of my reach at the moment and why i have given up on the idea. I was under the impression that there would be a evga 4gb 770 and was thinking that would be adequate which would be more of a better option.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a c 84 U Graphics card
a c 91 à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
June 2, 2013 11:34:45 PM

Still if you want better performance you should go for GTX 780 3 GB. I don't think it would be able to give you 60 FPS on Ultra (Crysis 3) but it should make a difference.
Share
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
June 3, 2013 12:03:57 AM

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_re...

As you can see, a stock 780 will give you 54 FPS at Very High Quality in Crysis 3 and 1920X1200. At 1920X1080 you should get about 60FPS and with one of the overclocked 780's, as much as 66FPS. Should give you a decent rate even with Ultra Settings.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 84 U Graphics card
a c 91 à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
June 3, 2013 12:06:53 AM

babernet_1 said:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_re...

As you can see, a stock 780 will give you 54 FPS at Very High Quality in Crysis 3 and 1920X1200. At 1920X1080 you should get about 60FPS and with one of the overclocked 780's, as much as 66FPS. Should give you a decent rate even with Ultra Settings.


Much recommended.

He should get around 45 FPS on Ultra ...
m
0
l
June 3, 2013 2:31:00 PM

luckiest charm said:
babernet_1 said:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_780_re...

As you can see, a stock 780 will give you 54 FPS at Very High Quality in Crysis 3 and 1920X1200. At 1920X1080 you should get about 60FPS and with one of the overclocked 780's, as much as 66FPS. Should give you a decent rate even with Ultra Settings.


Much recommended.

He should get around 45 FPS on Ultra ...


THanks for all the advice im defiantly gonna go with the evga 780 once they have them back in stock its quite abit more then I wanted to spend but well worth it cause the 7770 is not even close to what should be in my build if I already had a 660 or even a 560 I would have just waited for about another year or two to get a new video card.
m
0
l
June 4, 2013 7:45:28 AM

Well... Of course 780 is more powerfull, however more expensive.

If you check 780 has like 15-20% more performance than a 770. And has someone stated before I also believe 770 SLI would be a better deal, just wait for 770 4 GB version. buy 1 now and give it some 2 or 3 months and buy the 2nd 770 4 GB for SLI. You will get over like 50% more performance over a 780 with double 770 SLI. And in a year from now who knows, u might get a 3rd 770 used and be on pair with a 780 sli setup.
m
0
l
June 4, 2013 8:44:53 AM

centaurius said:
Well... Of course 780 is more powerfull, however more expensive.

If you check 780 has like 15-20% more performance than a 770. And has someone stated before I also believe 770 SLI would be a better deal, just wait for 770 4 GB version. buy 1 now and give it some 2 or 3 months and buy the 2nd 770 4 GB for SLI. You will get over like 50% more performance over a 780 with double 770 SLI. And in a year from now who knows, u might get a 3rd 770 used and be on pair with a 780 sli setup.

Thats what i originally thought of doing but wasnt to sure with everyone telling me to go with 780
m
0
l
a c 555 4 Gaming
a c 175 U Graphics card
a c 535 à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
May 26, 2014 10:14:30 PM

50% more performance, and where will the 3rd Card slide in? Going to jump to a X79/X99.....To be honest with your current rig, by the time you started looking for a second 770, you'll be thinking more about a CPU/mobo upgrade, and at that point the 770 would be underpowered where a 780 will still be good
m
0
l
!