i7 950 - time to upgrade Haswell?

JayMoney110

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
Hey guys!

I've got an i7 950 revision d0, currently running at 3.8 GHz... With the new Haswells out I'm very curious if it would be worth upgrading, and how much of a difference it would actually make. Would it be noticeable?

I just want to make sure I'm make the right decision with the help of the community of course.

Every time I'm curious of something I seem to always find the answer here so there doesn't seem a better place to ask.

EDIT: I stream a bit using Open Broadcast Software and also like to play some of the Wii games I have in HD on Dolphin emulator... Sometimes I notice slowdowns or FPS stutters when using them. Curious how much of a difference this upgrade would make

rankam

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
Hey I just bought a haswell i5 4670k I had an i7 950. At first I thought It was a mistake that I did the upgrade, I have only tested 2 games so far farcry3 blooddragon and adventures of vanhelsing. With my i7 950 I was able to run farcry3 blooddragon on ultra settings and my frames would be at 30. With the Haswell my frames are at 70 and they dip down to 53 in highly populated areas. My graphic cards are gtx 460 sli. I didn't think in no way my 950 was bottlenecking my 460's in sli, but it was!!
That micro stutter everyone talks about related to sli well it's completely gone to my surprise so it wasn't my cards that were lacking it was my cpu. If I were you I would go for it unless you don't mind running your games on medium settings.

I think you would appreciate the newer technology but you have to take into account the obvious benifits of an upgraded motherboard for your new Haswell CPU with regards to SSD's possibly.

Also from a gaming point of view what graphics card you have?

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

I have a few pcs left over from work . An i7-920 and i7-950 and i7-3280 and xeon cpus. The only reason I can figure that you would do anything is to lower your power bill. It is not that simple because from my understanding is that the newer cpus/motherboards will be more aggressive on the power saving.

The question is it going to happen? Some folks claim they see a benefit on using lower GPUs and faster CPUs. I have never tried that.

If you look at the cpu performance/ power simply ( simply might not be best) the TDP is lower for xeons. The biggest talk I have heard around is folks are really interested in lowering the power bill.

What about Xeon e3-1265L?.
Also the Core i7-4770S and i7-4770T with a TDP 65w and 45w, respectively.

The question I have asked before is that if lower a standard CPU base frequency will you get the same effect?
It is reduced from 3.50GHz to just 3.10GHz for the i7-4770S and 2.50GHz for the i7-4770T.

So many unanswered questions.