Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming laptop With good battery life

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 3, 2013 12:40:29 AM

Hey guys, this is my first post. I was wondering what would you guys recommend for a gaming laptop with AT Least 5-6 hours of battery life. And gtx 7xx graphics. My budget is anything under 1,900 USD, I've been considering the Sager NP8230. But I'm not sure how the battery life is.



Thanks!!
a c 433 D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
June 3, 2013 8:43:31 AM

If you are looking for a laptop to last at least 5 - 6 hours when playing games, then there are no such laptop in existence.

If you mean at least 5 - 6 hours of average daily light usage, then it is possible to find such a laptop, but it can be difficult. Ultrabooks generally have good battery life in the range you are looking at, but they generally are not equipped with a powerful graphics chip. Gaming laptops tends to have about 4 hours of battery life, but many seems to be less than that. Also, the higher the screen resolution, the lower the battery life tends to be.

The Sager NP8230's battery life is rated a 2+ hours and that's not while gaming either.
m
0
l
June 3, 2013 5:03:39 PM

jaguarskx said:
If you are looking for a laptop to last at least 5 - 6 hours when playing games, then there are no such laptop in existence.

If you mean at least 5 - 6 hours of average daily light usage, then it is possible to find such a laptop, but it can be difficult. Ultrabooks generally have good battery life in the range you are looking at, but they generally are not equipped with a powerful graphics chip. Gaming laptops tends to have about 4 hours of battery life, but many seems to be less than that. Also, the higher the screen resolution, the lower the battery life tends to be.

The Sager NP8230's battery life is rated a 2+ hours and that's not while gaming either.


What about the 14" Razer blade? But what other laptops would you recommend for gaming?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 433 D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
June 3, 2013 5:40:38 PM

I'll have to do a bit of research on the razor blade. However, you may want to consider the following 15.6" Sager NP6652 with a base price of $911 it comes with an i7-4700MQ + GT 750m. I was actually looking to it's "sister" the Sager NP2650 as just a "work related" laptop; when configure with the same IPS panel and 8GB of RAM, the price difference was only about $80 vs. the NP6652. What's the hardware difference? The GT 750m vs Intel HD 4600 graphic core. For another $80 I might as well get the NP6652 in case I do want to play a game from time to time. It is rated 3 - 5 hours.

http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-...
m
0
l
a c 433 D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
June 3, 2013 5:55:28 PM

The Razor Blade could be a possible solution for you as long as you don't mind spending that much. CNet wrote a decent length preview of it. While 6 hours battery life is claimed, tests would need to be done to confirm, but I would say it should not be worse than 4.5 hours of average usage if the 6 hours claim is in the ballpark.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/razer-blade-14-inch/4505-31...

The GT 765m is definitely faster than the GT 750m in the NP6652 I suggested and the lower resolution (1600x900 vs 1920x1080) also means better performance as well.

Here's another hand's on review:

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-port...
m
0
l
June 3, 2013 7:29:49 PM

jaguarskx said:
If you are looking for a laptop to last at least 5 - 6 hours when playing games, then there are no such laptop in existence.

If you mean at least 5 - 6 hours of average daily light usage, then it is possible to find such a laptop, but it can be difficult. Ultrabooks generally have good battery life in the range you are looking at, but they generally are not equipped with a powerful graphics chip. Gaming laptops tends to have about 4 hours of battery life, but many seems to be less than that. Also, the higher the screen resolution, the lower the battery life tends to be.

The Sager NP8230's battery life is rated a 2+ hours and that's not while gaming either.


jaguarskx said:
The Razor Blade could be a possible solution for you as long as you don't mind spending that much. CNet wrote a decent length preview of it. While 6 hours battery life is claimed, tests would need to be done to confirm, but I would say it should not be worse than 4.5 hours of average usage if the 6 hours claim is in the ballpark.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/razer-blade-14-inch/4505-31...

The GT 765m is definitely faster than the GT 750m in the NP6652 I suggested and the lower resolution (1600x900 vs 1920x1080) also means better performance as well.

Here's another hand's on review:

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-port...


Thanks! :D  but do you know if the ssd's are soldered to the motherboard of the razer blade? Because I'm thinking that 128gbs of storage won't be enough for gaming...And will the manual ssd upgrade be cheaper than buying the 240gb version of the razer blade?
m
0
l
a c 433 D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
June 3, 2013 11:40:12 PM

I never heard of a situation where SSDs are soldered into the motherboard.
m
0
l
June 4, 2013 12:48:56 AM

jaguarskx said:
If you are looking for a laptop to last at least 5 - 6 hours when playing games, then there are no such laptop in existence.

If you mean at least 5 - 6 hours of average daily light usage, then it is possible to find such a laptop, but it can be difficult. Ultrabooks generally have good battery life in the range you are looking at, but they generally are not equipped with a powerful graphics chip. Gaming laptops tends to have about 4 hours of battery life, but many seems to be less than that. Also, the higher the screen resolution, the lower the battery life tends to be.

The Sager NP8230's battery life is rated a 2+ hours and that's not while gaming either.


jaguarskx said:
I never heard of a situation where SSDs are soldered into the motherboard.



Do you think that 128gb is enough for gaming and programming? Because i do move around alot.
m
0
l
a c 433 D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
June 4, 2013 6:29:53 PM

128GB would be the minimum I would consider for a SSD. That is actually not a lot if you like to store a lot of movie files and/or install many games and other programs. You also need to take TRIM into consideration for a SSD.

In a SSD each sector can only be written over so many time before that sector is dead and can no longer hold any data. That and the high price per GB is the limitation of SSD (flash memory). If you were to use a program that continually writes 1's and 0's to a SSD and a HDD, the SSD will die much quick than a HDD unless somehow the HDD suffers a mechanical failure; which is not very likely.

TRIM is a command that helps prolong the life of a SSD but at the cost of storage space. To help evenly spread out how many times each sector is written to in a SSD it is a general recommendation that you do not use more than 80% of the SSD's capacity. The remaining 20% is acts like a reserve so that TRIM can evenly spread out writing to all sectors, thus prolonging the life of a SSD. I think the "guess-timate" is that a SSD can last for 4 - 5 year under typical usage.

This means pre-formatted 128GB SSD will more or less end up being a 100GB SDD after being formatted and following the general recommendation that at most only 80% of the capacity should be used. More ways to prolong the life of an SSD:

1. Never defrag a SSD.
2. Disable the Pagefile and install at least 8GB of RAM. If you tend to have a lot of programs open that uses a lot of memory, then 16GB of RAM is recommended. Windows writes data to the Pagefile when the is not enough actual RAM. The more RAM the laptop has the less likely data needs to be written to the Pagefile. This also frees up some GB so that you can actually it for storage.
3. If you do not use Hibernate, then disable it. This should also free up around 5GB - 6GB since hibernation can take up a lot of storage space.
m
0
l
June 4, 2013 9:04:59 PM

Are there any other better alternatives than the Razer Blade? But I need some medium fire power, as I will be playing crysis 3 a lot...
m
0
l
September 11, 2013 1:03:56 AM

I know I am probably too late but the samsung series 7 15inch chonos whith 8870m has 9 hours of battery and would be perfect. also the ativ 8 whith 8870m (which is supposedly just a rebranded chonos)
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
September 11, 2013 3:18:06 PM

you can also consider lenovo y series :) 
m
0
l
September 29, 2013 1:46:15 AM

warning with lenovo y series:

wifi has issues, battery is terribad, comes with a lot of bloatware

that being said, best bang for your buck
m
0
l
!