So, 770 huh? Challenge accepted!

grebgonebad

Distinguished
As im sure you can guess by the name of this thread, I am thrilled about the release of the 770, and want to buy myself a couple ASAP! I am currently runnign 2 x EVGA FTW 670's in SLI and couplnt be happier right now, but seeing as the 770's are so closely matched with the 780 but for the same price (Pretty much) as a 670, I want to sell my 670's and buy 2 x 770's!

My question is, when will the 770 with the titan/780 like cooler be released for sale? I dont really care much for the other cooler designs as most of them vent alot of the air into the case, and this would NOT be good for my PC. I like to vent the GPU air out the back via an enclosed cooler. Plus I think the reference design looks so much sexier!

endeavour37a

Honorable
Not sure why you want to dump 2 great cards at this point? Just my thoughts, a pair of 670 will handle anything you could play right now pretty well, a 770 is not that great of a step up, I would play them for a year and save some money for the next 800 series.
The 780 is closer to a Titan than a 770, the 770 is just a step above a 680/7970.

If you want that cool cooler you will most likely have to get it on a 780, I don't think any of them will be offered on a 770, too expensive, ~$60 I think.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Thanks for your reply! Most appreciated!

I know that the two 670's ive got at the minute are good, (Why I bought them, lol!) but seeing as 770's are going for £330 at the minute I just fancy grabbing myself a pair. I can still get about £280 each for my 670's, as they are the FTW's from EVGA, which means that I will effectively be paying £120 for a pair of latest gen cards.

Also, I could still be wrong, but im pretty sure that EVGA will release the 770 with the sexy cooler, as most of the reviews that have been made of the 770 so far picture the 770 with this cooler (Which also says GTX 770 on).

I dont fancy going for a 780, as if past experience says anything, a 770 will overclock to better performance than a 780 anyway.

Optimus_Toaster

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Overclockers have a titan cooled GTX 770 listed by Inno3D, however stock isn't expected to arrive until the 14th.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-015-IN&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1750

I think you have greatly overestimated how much you can sell your GTX 670s for. They can be bought new for £270 so I don't think anyone will buy a second hand one for more than that.

I wouldn't rely on overclocking either for performance as you may find you have a crappy card for overclocking (though this may just be me being crankly cause my card doesn't OC at all)

grebgonebad

Distinguished

Excellent, cheers for the link! I shall keep my eye on this!

I may be being a little overconfident on how much I can get for my 670's, but theres a few reasons why I believe I van get a good price for them. 1. They are the EVGA FTW editions, which everyone knows are one of the best, if not the best 670's to go for. 2. They can be overclocked to +30% 680 performance, personal experience :D 3. they are only a couple of monthsd old, even though ive had them for about 5 (Bought them and found they wouldnt fit in my case, long story, Lol!) and finally, 4. I already have a couple of people from work who say they might be interested. So I dont think it would be unreasonable of me to expect a good price.

As far as overclocking goes, sounds like you lost the draw of the silicon lottory there my friend! Personally I would be inclined to wait for the EVGA FTW 770's to be released with the titan cooler, as WVGA cherry pick the best PCB's for all thier cards, meaning they have better overclocking heads normally.

The relationship between the 770 and 780 is nothing like it was between the 670 and 680, you wont get a 770 to overclock even close to a 780's performance.
You could do that with the 670-680 because they were the same card except some CUDA cores and a clock speed bump, the 770 is essentially an overclocked 680, while the 780 is a Titan with half the VRAM. An entirely different GPU (GK110 vs GK104), wider memory bus and an extra GB of VRAM cant be made up with overclocking.

My opinion, don't bother with the 770 if you already own a 670/680, your basically buying the same card. Save up until you can get a 780 or two, that will give you a real performance boost.

grebgonebad

Distinguished

Thanks for your reply manofchalk, most appreciated!

I see, I have to be honest I hadn't really thought of the fact that the 770 and the 780 were using different GPU's. That is some valuable information.

My main point of reference for any hardware, mainly CPU, GPU and Hard drive, is cpu benchamrk, which I assum most of you are familiar with? If not here is a link to thier GPU list:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

(Please note that all GPU scores are for SINGLE GPU's only, the software doesnt currently support SLI, unless it is built in such as the 690...)

As you can see from the table, the difference between the 670 and the 770 is quite substantial, around 1,300 points. whereas the difference between the 770 and the 780 is few and far, around 400 points. This is why I believe an upgrade to 2 770's would be worth it. I know, I know, these sort of benchmarks arent a true statement of how the card performs, but its a ball park right? As far as overclocking the 770 goes, I hear that you can overclock it quite well, which leads me to believe that it is possible to get 780 scores from a 770, And at £200 less who can argue with that?

As far as real world gaming is concerned, the 770 seems to make quite a remarkable improvement on the 670 there also, adding nearly 10FPS to every game on test. There are several websites that support this, just google it! =)

I am still undecided as to whether I can be bothered to be honest. In order for me to make the upgrade, I will have to first sell my current cards, and then purchase the new ones. I dont know if I can live without my PC for more than a few days, let alone a few weeks! Maybe I'll wait for the Xbox One to come out on sale, so I have something else to do while my PC is out of action. (Yes it will be completely out of action as my motherboard has no HDMI, VGA or otherwise connectors. Unless you can get a usb to HDMI adaptor that is!)

endeavour37a

Honorable

Yes, a GTX770 does come with a Nvidia cooler.

:-D There are useful points to be made here but they've already been made (+1 especially to Toaster). Not much for you to gain from GTX770 (turning 50fps into 60fps isn't gonna be too noticeable). That said, if you have money to burn and just want to justify buying something shiny and new (nothing wrong with that - it's human nature!) then go for it :)

Just so you know that benchmark site is complete nonsense, it doesn't relate in any way to real world performance. Your 670's basically are 770's. The 770 is just a 680 in disguise, and there was never a difference between the 670 and 680 in the first place.

Well a GTX680 with extremely highly clocked memory. There's on average a 6% gain from the GTX670 to the GTX680 and an average 13% gain from the GTX680 to the GTX770. 20% is enough to turn 30fps into 36fps, but dual GTX670s should be doing a lot better than 30fps in just about anything.

Like people have said though, most GTX770s don't use that cooler. Of course it will always be pictured in reviews because A it's what the companies provide them and B it looks cool. But take a look on a retailer site and you'll see for yourself. Where I am, they're all custom coolers. If you do find one in this style, it's the exception to the rule (and may be priced accordingly).

grebgonebad

Distinguished

The thing is I dont really like playing at anything lower than 60 FPS myself, ive got too used to it, and as a result I can tell if a game is dipping to 55FPS. Sounds crazy but it drives me buts when I can see noticeable lag. Lol. I'll wait and see how much the reference design comes out for (AKA, with the titan cooler), and make a desicion then. At the moment my two 670's beast pretty much anything, the only game I have a problem with is GTA IV, and thats only because its a bad port. If the opportunity arises I shall upgrade most probably.

grebgonebad

Distinguished

I did in fact state the following sentence:

"I know, I know, these sort of benchmarks arent a true statement of how the card performs, but its a ball park right?"

I understand that most benchmarks dont really dictate real world performance, but the reason why I use this site is because it is possibly the most used GPU benchmark besides 3Dmark. And although the scores dont dictate real world performance, as each card is tested with the same software, the scores DO dictate where the card sits in an overall ranking.

grebgonebad

Distinguished

Depends to be honest. On some games where I get stupidly high frame rates, whihc can drop by about 50%, yes. But in games like Crysis 2/3, Battlefield etc. then most of the time no.

grebgonebad

Distinguished

HELL YEAH! Finally somone who knows what im on about! Lol. Good point about the vapour chambers, forgot about that!

grebgonebad

Distinguished

I personally dont think that Nvidia would release pics of the 770 with custom Titan cooler, and then not sell it. I would bet that after all the hype's dies down a little they'll release it for sale to boost sales again. Or at least some other scheme they have up thier sleevs at any rate. Lol.

Also, just FYI, take a look at this link. Just found it a minuite ago!!!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-015-IN&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1750

Yeah somebody mentioned this Inno3D card. There's your price-hike though - £30 extra from one of the cheapest brands in existence. Clearly Titan cooler is a selling point there! Remember Overclockers rip you off for delivery too (at least they did when I used to use them - I steer clear now due to bad experiences in the past). I can see the appeal though - I'm looking at a GTX770 myself and was disappointed to see standard plastic casings on most of the cards.

Optimus_Toaster

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
I have been very happy with Overclockers service. I've had to deal with their customer service and they seemed very willing and able to sort out my problem. The delivery cost is high, but it is always next day delivery so isn't too bad.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
I dont use Overclockers either, I find them to be overpriced on almost everything, including the postage as you stated. But the fact that they are advertising a 770 with the titan cooler should mean that other places will start selling them as soon as they are released hopefully!

I dont think the price is too much of a premium to pay myself, its still not nearly as expensive as a 780, or even a 680 for that matter, and I wouldnt expect 770 to be sold for the same price as 670's anyway. Granted, the titan cooler probably adds a bit more to the price, but for the extra £20-£30 you are getting what is basically a hybrid between a watercooler and air cooler, with a full aluminium chassis to boot.

I think I'll wait awhile for the 770 hype to die down a little and then look into 'investing' in a couple! Lol.