Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I have the option of a laptop with 4th Haswell cpu (i7-4700MQ) or desktop cpu (i7-3820) which one should I choose?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 3, 2013 9:42:19 AM

I will be getting a sager or msi. The msi come with 4th generation but the sager come with 3820 desktop cpu. Which one should I pick?

More about : option laptop 4th haswell cpu 4700mq desktop cpu 3820 choose

June 3, 2013 9:48:51 AM

Hector Contreras Mora said:
I will be getting a sager or msi. The msi come with 4th generation but the sager come with 3820 desktop cpu. Which one should I pick?


It depends what the other specs are? or are they identical?
m
0
l
June 3, 2013 9:56:09 AM

The_Doctor said:
Hector Contreras Mora said:
I will be getting a sager or msi. The msi come with 4th generation but the sager come with 3820 desktop cpu. Which one should I pick?


It depends what the other specs are? or are they identical?


Identical
m
0
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a c 91 à CPUs
June 3, 2013 10:01:33 AM

Go for desktop ... No heating issues ... full incline on total performance.

Gaming laptop is useless if you are not a heavy gamer who can't live without gaming even while on the move. :) 
m
0
l
June 3, 2013 10:07:20 AM

luckiest charm said:
Go for desktop ... No heating issues ... full incline on total performance.

Gaming laptop is useless if you are not a heavy gamer who can't live without gaming even while on the move. :) 


Both are laptops... Full spec: 780NVIDIA, 16gb ram 1600, CPU is what is different, one of them come with the desktop cpu (3820) and the other with the 4th generation MOBILE (4700MQ)
m
0
l
a c 466 D Laptop
a c 480 à CPUs
June 3, 2013 10:15:00 AM

I would rather go with the i7-4700MQ CPU in a laptop. The i7-3820 has a TDP of 130w vs 47w for Haswell variant. That means longer battery life and less heat produced by the CPU. Honestly I think the i7-3820 will cause overheating issues after a while.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 4, 2013 4:56:56 AM

How can the specs of a laptop and a desktop be exactly the same? Please post the specs of both.
m
0
l
June 4, 2013 5:16:14 AM

Most likely they typo'd 3820 instead of 3820qm which is a mobile (aka laptop) cpu. There is no way the desktop 3820 could be in a laptop.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a c 91 à CPUs
June 4, 2013 6:20:13 AM

hafijur said:
luckiest charm said:
Go for desktop ... No heating issues ... full incline on total performance.

Gaming laptop is useless if you are not a heavy gamer who can't live without gaming even while on the move. :) 


I find these types of posts misleading. Firstly as desktop hardware is going for more efficient now laptop cpus are on par with most desktop i7s. Laptops are limited to 100w tdp cards like the new gtx780m the op ones is 2x faster then the 6850 you have. My brothers desktop has a 6850 but I game on my laptop with a gt640m for convenience. Quick plug in and play and maxes most games at 720 ultra at 40-60fps.

Also if you get a proper gaming laptop with good cooling they don't overheat.

Watch what the 780m is capable of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGNZA0Y9lEc

For the op get haswell i7 4700mq increases significantly battery life as i7 3820 has no igpu which means when you are web browsing it will use the 780m so basically expect 5-6 hours battery life improvement with the i7 4700mq over the i7 3820.


1) I thought he is talking about desktop not desktop CPU in a laptop (huh!?)

2) Gaming on a desktop is better than on a laptop in almost all ways except mobility. In a desktop you can play more comfortably, you can upgrade anything you want (needed for a gaming rig) at any time, it does not heat that much and because you can add water cooling, etc overclocking becomes easier than ever, its components do not face performance restrictions like their laptop counterparts which draw less amount of power and give comparatively lesser performance.

You can see the benchmarks of a laptop and a desktop with same specifications to see the difference.

3) Not everyone is Bill Gates, everyone invests in the parts which they can afford and I have no problem in saying I am not one of the rich ones. If I see a better card in future when I will really see the need to upgrade and would have enough budget I sure would upgrade too. As of now my HD 6850 is giving me 50 - 60 FPS on high settings of every game I play (Didn't tried Crysis 3 yet, but upto BioShock Infinite).

If I am given an option to choose between a desktop and a laptop and mobility is not in my need, I would go for a desktop for sure.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a c 91 à CPUs
June 4, 2013 8:38:18 AM

Fact : A $1500 laptop = $1000 assembled PC .. Rest you may figure out on your own .. :) 
m
0
l
June 4, 2013 3:00:50 PM

First of all, I know that you can get a better desktop for the same money spent in a laptop. I didn't ask any of you about desktop vs laptop. Yes, you can have desktop processor in a laptop (which will make it a huge brick). I am a laptop lover and I got the cash to get a monster laptop, so I will.

SPECS:
NVIDIA 780m SLI
Intel® Core™ i7-3930K (Yes, desktop one)
8Gb 1600 Ram
etc

Been tested and It don't overheat, in fact, there's someone who OC the laptop and is hitting 15k score 3Dmark11 with nothing but IC Diamond Thermal Compound. (No heat issues) http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6652011
I could care less about desktop > laptop, but this laptop is a beauty I want and I will get. Thanks for the guys that were very knowledgeable. I did my research and my laptop is already in the building process :D 
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a c 91 à CPUs
June 5, 2013 12:18:48 AM

Hector Contreras Mora said:
First of all, I know that you can get a better desktop for the same money spent in a laptop. I didn't ask any of you about desktop vs laptop. Yes, you can have desktop processor in a laptop (which will make it a huge brick). I am a laptop lover and I got the cash to get a monster laptop, so I will.

SPECS:
NVIDIA 780m SLI
Intel® Core™ i7-3930K (Yes, desktop one)
8Gb 1600 Ram
etc

Been tested and It don't overheat, in fact, there's someone who OC the laptop and is hitting 15k score 3Dmark11 with nothing but IC Diamond Thermal Compound. (No heat issues) http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6652011
I could care less about desktop > laptop, but this laptop is a beauty I want and I will get. Thanks for the guys that were very knowledgeable. I did my research and my laptop is already in the building process :D 


Which laptop is this? :) 
m
0
l
June 5, 2013 8:58:17 AM

luckiest charm said:
Hector Contreras Mora said:
First of all, I know that you can get a better desktop for the same money spent in a laptop. I didn't ask any of you about desktop vs laptop. Yes, you can have desktop processor in a laptop (which will make it a huge brick). I am a laptop lover and I got the cash to get a monster laptop, so I will.

SPECS:
NVIDIA 780m SLI
Intel® Core™ i7-3930K (Yes, desktop one)
8Gb 1600 Ram
etc

Been tested and It don't overheat, in fact, there's someone who OC the laptop and is hitting 15k score 3Dmark11 with nothing but IC Diamond Thermal Compound. (No heat issues) http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6652011
I could care less about desktop > laptop, but this laptop is a beauty I want and I will get. Thanks for the guys that were very knowledgeable. I did my research and my laptop is already in the building process :D 


Which laptop is this? :) 


Here you go friend:

Sager NP9570 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvTVGNAlfgc
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a c 91 à CPUs
June 5, 2013 9:05:55 AM

$3120 ... with your specifications ... Its all good mate, really fantastic choice, just slightly expensive than normal ones ... :) 
m
0
l
June 5, 2013 11:57:54 AM

luckiest charm said:
$3120 ... with your specifications ... Its all good mate, really fantastic choice, just slightly expensive than normal ones ... :) 


Indeed! The reason for me going laptop all the way is that I move a lot (I do travel because I am a PhD student) so having to move a monitor + desktop a few times a year would be trouble for me. 3,120 I could get a monster Desktop, but my heart goes toward laptops :D 
m
0
l
June 6, 2013 11:30:48 PM

im getting the np9570 as well...getting the 3930K - 6 cores baby.....getting dual 780M gtx cards - 4 gigs on each card for a total of 8 gigs video ram....32 gigs ddr3 in quad channel. now...why would i spend 4K on this instead of a desktop? next 5 years im good for a laptop...with a full 3 year warranty, i have no worries. not to mention being a tech myself, ill have to take it apart every 5 months or so and clean the fans and heat sinks like i do with my np9262 i have had for 5 years. my np 9262 has a q9650 cpu, 8 gigs ram, dual 8800 gtx cards...and was good for 5 years...now you see why we buy these super powerful laptops for alot of money. in 10 years we own 2 computers.
m
0
l
June 8, 2013 11:47:48 AM

hafijur said:
I would have gone for the laptop cpu the architecture is 2 generations ahead has great integrated graphics and probably has 6x the battery life of your i7 3930k. The i7 3930k will be a lot slower on 4 core tasks or less and heat up a lot more. I don't see how anyone would need a 6 core cpu in a laptop. Even then the top of the range mobile quad is like 20% slower then that 6 core cpu.


You assume I care about battery life, which I don't... It will be sitting in my desk plugged in.
m
0
l
June 10, 2013 9:46:07 AM

hafijur said:
Hector Contreras Mora said:
hafijur said:
I would have gone for the laptop cpu the architecture is 2 generations ahead has great integrated graphics and probably has 6x the battery life of your i7 3930k. The i7 3930k will be a lot slower on 4 core tasks or less and heat up a lot more. I don't see how anyone would need a 6 core cpu in a laptop. Even then the top of the range mobile quad is like 20% slower then that 6 core cpu.


You assume I care about battery life, which I don't... It will be sitting in my desk plugged in.


You might as well got a desktop pc much cheaper then. Its your choice at the end of the day, imo it seems strange getting an expensive laptop with a desktop processor to keep on your desk. The only good thing is the form factor and all in one aspect.


It's not hard to understand, I move from place to place often and moving a whole desktop + monitor is not funny. Also, I am a laptop enthusiast.
m
0
l
a c 210 à CPUs
June 10, 2013 11:21:36 AM

Hector Contreras Mora said:
I will be getting a sager or msi. The msi come with 4th generation but the sager come with 3820 desktop cpu. Which one should I pick?


Unless you HAVE to have the mobility...always desktop over laptop. The raw horsepower, and upgrade capability are just far too big an advantage to lose.
m
0
l
a c 466 D Laptop
a c 480 à CPUs
June 10, 2013 12:24:20 PM

My main concern is cooling. Laptops have rather limited cooling potential. Even large laptops. I suggest you at least Google around for the desktop CPU version to see if there have been any instances of overheating issues before you considering buying that version.

m
0
l
!