Primary use would be for web browsing and streaming/watching videos. The only gaming I plan on doing is SimCity. I also have some GoPro videos that I would like to eventually edit down.
I’ve been seeing deals for the Lenovo Y 400/500 them on slickdeals and techbargain recently. I’m basically trying to get the best bang for my buck. I’ve been looking at the benchmarks SimCity and its performance on the GeForce 650M has been poor. I haven’t seen the any benchmarks utilizing the 650M in SLI, but I would think that would improve its performance. Or should I shell out the extra money for the GTX670 series. Also, any other brands you would recommend and is getting i7 necessary? Or can I save a couple bucks and go with an i5. I realize building a PC would probably be cheaper, but I still need the portability of a laptop, sigh.
1. What is your budget?
$1000. Ideally I don't want to go above this if possible. I’m also willing to wait for prices to come down if necessary.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15 inch. I dual screen with a HD Monitor.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
HD would be nice but not necessary
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I primarily use as a desktop replacement. But, I do move around my laptop from time to time.
5. How much battery life do you need?
3 hours would be nice, but not really an issue.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
SimCity at least on medium.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
GoPro Video editing.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500GB. Is getting a small SSD 16-32GB beneficial for applications and boot times? Is this possible if I have graphics cards in SLI due to the limited space?
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Any site is fine.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD is fine. Not necessary however as I have an external drive.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Any brand is fine. I’ve only used Dells but I’m open to anything. I only mention Lenovo because I’ve seen deals for them recently on slickdeals and techbargains.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Thanks for your help!