1150 mobos just can't decide

lazykoala

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I plan to buy one within a week or two, but the more research I do the more I can't decide. I will likely OC a little not too much, might get the 4670k or 4770 or 4770k haven't decided, want something that is somewhat future proof (802.11ac and 4k compatible), and has good built in audio/wifi. The ones I have been trying to decide between are:

-asus sabertooth: like the look, but i could see the armor being more in the way/annoying and outweighing the miniscule cooling benefits
-asus pro
-asus hero: love the look of this and the msi mobos best, but not sure how much this has been stripped down from the extreme version and if it would meet my needs
-msi gd65: looks great and comes with a neat door sign lol
-asus formula: haven't looked at these at all yet (don't think they have been released?), but interested in what exactly makes these so special
-all the other brands: asrock, gigabyte, etc... haven't seen any glowing recommendations on anything other than what I've looked at above.

You would be better off getting an wifi card instead of a motherboard with it built in. Only enthusiast boards come with it built in and you would end up saving by purchasing a card based wi-fi solution. Try any of the intel centrino consumer products, they are all excellent.

lazykoala

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

I somewhat agree as the on-board wifi would be more of a convenience than a necessity to me which is why I found the msi mobo fairly appealing since I don't think it has that, but seemed to have a lot of other good features.

Not to mention you get to choose which wifi-card you would want and you can change antenna types.

Very few devices use thunderbolt but if you have a device that does, your gonna want it. Otherwise usb will remain the standard port for most.

tmsmith124

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
I was on the fence just like you, until a few minutes ago. Now I've pretty much decided on the Asus Hero (assuming it hits the market soon). Mind you I'm a little biased because I still have my Rampage Formula x48. Here's a nice little review. It comes with all the basic features plus some. It is a tad expensive though but Asus usually is.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2200/1/

lazykoala

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

I'm still not sure if I'm going to pass on requiring my board to have 802.11ac and intel thunderbolt (which the hero has neither I believe) and if I do pass, then I may as well get the msi board because it is quite a bit cheaper. The only difference between that and the hero that I'm aware of is the built in sound that is a bit better on the hero. I'd give a slight edge on looks to the hero as well, but is that and better sound worth $40 more? If I require both 802.11ac and thunderbolt then I may as well get something like the asus deluxe/dual or wait for the ROG formula (which I think is supposed to have them).